Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

aerophagia
aerophagia
Does anyone have a problem with swallowing gas and your stomach is distended.  (aerophagia)  It's very hard to change the settings myself to try and get a comfort level without asking someone to do it for me.  I started this about 1 1/2 years ago.  I was stopping breathing 28 times/hr.  NOw my pressures were at 6 - 16 with great results below 5 all the time but I had so much gas issue that they brought me down to 6 - 15 and now I am below 10 with still some gas issues.  Anyone else out there has this problem and what did you do?  I have bought my machine but unable to control any of it without asking.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: aerophagia
Jinx, we have a lot of members with aerophagia problems and therapy can end up being a compromise in pressure that is effective and comfortable. What are you doing in terms of EPR on your machine? Have you identified what pressure seems to trigger your aerophagia?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sorry about that.  What is EPR?  Like I said I can't get that setting on my machine without calling Vital Air.
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR is "expiratory pressure relief", and is a reduction in pressure during exhale. I can be set to full-time and at settings of 1, 2 or 3 which corresponds to reduction in pressure during exhale in cm-H2O. For example, if your pressure is set at 7.0 and EPR is full-time at 3, then your pressure is 7.0 inhale/4.0 exhale. We use the term IPAP/EPAP. This difference in pressure can help treat flow limitations and hypopnea, as well as relieve aerophagia.

EPR is a "Comfort" setting in the clinical menu of your machine. Many doctors and clinics make adjustment of EPR available to the patient, but yours apparently did not. You can change the EPR setting yourself, and it is not considered a change of therapy settings. It is intended for patient comfort. You can easily make the change by following this tutorial. https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info

If you will post a daily detail chart from OSCAR, we can help you to optimize your settings for both AHI and your aerophagia. As you can see, you don't need the supplier to make changes for you, and you can, and should control your own therapy. Please read the article Changing your CPAP settings, and request a copy of the clinical manual for your machine. https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Aerophagia is an ongoing battle for me. The settings that are a godsend for me are Trigger and RiseTime.

My regular settings in S mode: IPAP 17 EPAP 12. Trigger High, Cycle Low, TiMax 3.8, TMin 0.8, EasyBreathe on

When stomach issue flare up : IPAP 12 EPAP 8, Trigger VeryHigh, RiseTime: 300ms

I know you have Autoset for her and not a VAuto, but Aerophagia is precisely why I changed from Autoset to VAuto.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Sleeprider - Thank you for sharing this info - I've been on CPAP using this machine for a year and a half with great success - AHI is averaging under 1.   But I get aerophagia occasionally and last night it was terribly painful so I'm searched the board for answers.  

My doctor has my settings at 6-12 and I've been averaging a nightly pressure of around 9.  I noticed the EPR is set to off.  Would turning this on help my aerophagia?   If so,  what number should it be on?

I followed the instructions on the link you provided and when I select COMFORT nothing happens.   I assume I'll have to call either my doctor or Lincare to ask about turning the EPR on, but I'm not sure what I should be requesting. 

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
We normally find aerophgia is reduced with EPR and appropriate pressure limits. With a fixed pressure of 6-12 and median pressure of 9.0 without EPR, my recommendation for settings with an Autoset is 7 to 12 with EPR 3. That will give you a pressure range of 7/4 to 12/9 (IPAP/EPAP), which is not a lot different, but is going to relieve pressure during exhale, and reduce pressure overall. It would help to see a chart, but your situation is pretty common, so we have seen improvements using EPR.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider.  I'll keep your suggested settings in mind.   I figured out the EPR yesterday and set it at 2 last night.  No aerophagia and breathing felt more relaxed.  I also used an extra pillow since I have GERD.  Hopefully, this will solve the problem.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Our weight has a noticeable effect on required pressure. The heavier we are (particularly around the neck) the higher the pressure needs to be and the more aerophagia we will most likely experience.

It follows that losing weight can be an effective way to combat aerophagia. I have personal experience of this, when I lost 12 kilos, from 90 to 78. I was able to reduce my pressure while maintaining an acceptable AHI and this in turn significantly reduced the frequency and degree of aerophagia.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2019, 11:21 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: We normally find aerophgia is reduced with EPR and appropriate pressure limits.  With a fixed pressure of 6-12 and median pressure of 9.0 without EPR, my recommendation for settings with an Autoset is 7 to 12 with EPR 3.  That will give you a pressure range of 7/4 to 12/9 (IPAP/EPAP), which is not a lot different, but is going to relieve pressure during exhale, and reduce pressure overall.  It would help to see a chart, but your situation is pretty common, so we have seen improvements using EPR.

This was your suggestion to me too, its early days but using EPR seems to be reducing my gas problem.

I hope it works for you Suzi
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 606 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,651 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 11 524 02-19-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 409 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 216 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Ohmy Aerophagia is making me lose my mind urachan 9 850 01-01-2024, 05:01 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  EPR, Central Apnea, and Aerophagia rpierce 23 2,308 11-12-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.