Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

afib [can you tell from SH?]
afib [can you tell from SH?]
Does anybody know what afib looks like on the flow rate chart or any chart of a sleepyhead program?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: afib
You will need some type of cardiac EKG or holter monitor to test for afib. Something like the Alivecor Kardia Mobile device. I have it and use it to test myself at least once a day. Last year I just got my APAP, using it for two weeks, and woke up with a crazy racing heart feeling in my chest. Went to the ER and was told I was in AFIB. It's a really weird sensation, hard to miss. Although apparently a lot of people don't feel it.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: afib
An xPAP can't tell what is going on with the heart. You could perhaps look at the respiratory rate if it increases during an episode.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: afib [can you tell from SH?]
I agree with Paula above.  There may be a fairly tightly correlated breathing indicator when you are in full AFib, but maybe not, or it isn't a reliable and consistent indicator.  The only way to establish if a certain breathing pattern accompanies AFib too frequently to ignore would be to have a Holter Monitor or similar device taking measurements for every hour you are on PAP.  This would need to be done over several weeks to get enough data since I expect you don't go into AFib more than a few minutes at a time every other week or five...??

Fortunately, I don't seem to have had a recurrence of my own AFib after commencing a regimen of metoprolol.  I still go for a 45 minute run two or three times a week, getting my heart up to about 150 bpm.  It doesn't seem to bother my heart.  Are you taking a blocker of some kind to keep the fibrillations in check?  If so, it could be quite a lengthy period of monitoring before you can discern a pattern of breathing that accompanies the AFib. 

Even so, I don't believe you will find a strong correlation between the two.  During REM, yes, breathing most often changes, but I have no idea if REM and some types of dreams bring on AFib as well. Beta-adrenergic channel blockers, the beta blockers, are supposed to keep those under control in any event.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,629 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  [Health] AFIB, APNEA, GERD, IPF bjnor 5 526 04-14-2023, 10:41 PM
Last Post: bjnor
  Sleep apnea and afib Respir8 22 2,950 05-13-2021, 07:44 AM
Last Post: kappa
  afib and sleep apnea poppypete 192 25,755 12-31-2018, 01:52 AM
Last Post: poppypete
  Seeing more UA and CA - due to being sick or AFIB med? MyronH 93 9,527 03-05-2018, 09:53 AM
Last Post: MyronH
  Cause of afib? jerry1967 6 1,679 10-19-2017, 09:20 AM
Last Post: I_will_never_sleep_again
  My ongoing issues - Night sweats and AFIB - SleepyHead chart attached MyronH 17 3,223 10-18-2017, 09:51 PM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.