Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

after 6 yrs don't need cpap any longer?
after 6 yrs don't need cpap any longer?
Hi everyone!  Hope you all are doing well. 
My daughter (well I am) fighting medicare because she wasn't compliant they said...machine wasn't right for her so she couldn't use it well even with your help here….ANYway the fight is on!
I need help though. My husband has had the cpap for 6 years.  He's lost 40 lbs and for the last two nights he said it's been a fight struggling.  The filter's clean..it's not that.  He thinks he may not need it anymore.  He was so bad he'd stop breathing for over 30 seconds, shake to start breathing...and repeat.  It took him 6 months to get used to it.  No problem til now.  Has anyone here found they didn't need it any longer?  Could this be temporary? Of course you don't know..but I'm asking experiences if anyone found they no longer needed it and/or after years of good sleep suddenly is fighting the thing? 
Anyone?
As far as daughter it'll be a month before we win or lose with Medicare.  Changing companies.  Going to try Monitor Medical.  Didn't get the service we needed at Dasco.  So....we're on hold.
If anyone has any ideas of what hubby is going through I'd like  to hear. 
Thanks and good night all.
Lynne
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: after 6 yrs don't need cpap any longer?
Can you post a chart from your husbands night, please?

Not needing CPAP any more, it may happen but it would be rare, very rare. The only way to know would be to take a diagnostic sleep study in a sleep lab. The most we can tell with our full data CPAP machines is that you are well treated at minimum pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
It actually sounds like he needs the pressure increased. From your description it sounds like he was suffering from a apnea event. Like bonjour said a chart would be very helpful for those here to give you accurate advice.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
If I understand you correctly, two members of your family use CPAP? Your daughter (who is fighting Medicare?) and your husband? Just wanting to make sure we are all on the same page.

In terms of weight loss, it depends on where the weight was lost. Neck circumference is the main thing.

As for not needing it anymore, no, that rarely if ever changes. Even people who have the various surgeries still end up using a machine (just at lower pressures). The profile says the pressure is 14. That's up there in the range. So it's not that there's not enough air like if the pressure was lower. Check to see if the exhale relief is on. If so, what is it set to? When was the last time he had a sleep test or had the data analyzed?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Lynneat, we simply cannot help by guessing what the problem is. Your daughter lost her CPAP because she kept removing the mask and failed compliance. Now your husband appears to be having problems with therapy and is having prolonged 30 second apneas. We don't know if he is awake or asleep or whether the apnea are obstructive or central, and we have no idea what his settings or equipment are. There are a number of possibilities, and solutions vary for each one. If you cannot provide data, he will need to see the doctor.

Even with weight loss, it is not a normal response to simply not tolerate CPAP you have been using for years. Something changed. The least likely cause is that "he doesn't need it anymore".
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sorry for the confusion.

Daughter (Medicare issues/non-compliant 30 days... due to faulty machine but we'll see if I can get Medicare to begin again. I returned the machine to the old DME.)  New DME can't get Medicare to pay. Doctor is supplying info as to why she wasn't compliant.

Husband has obstructive apnea.  He would not breathe then his legs would shake and he'd start again.  He's been using the cpap for 6 years.  AS YOU ALL SUGGESTED! THANK YOU! I told him to change the filter.  He did.....no more issues.

I haven't had time to read the software/how to install sleepyhead with screenshots (Can't for her as I had to return the machine.  Will for him as soon as I can.) 
I'm disabled and elderly.  I am POA for daughter and take her to appts. and keep her business straight/bills paid/help her supervise her providers.  Barely can take care of my own health issues coming about.  So I'm not ignoring your advise and do appreciate it so much!!!!
Right now I'm collecting and copying government paperwork for all providers and trying to get organized.  I'm so busy I have trouble with organizing all the paperwork.  It's so bad now that I have to organize then STAY organized Smile  It all gets to be a bit much!  But soon as things settle down a bit I hope to get into how to do the software for hubby and HOPEFULLY by then for daughter! 

Fit for the day:  New DME won't actually bill medicare.  They say they call medicare and if medicare says she's eligible they bill them.  Trouble is Medicare doesn't know WHY daughter was non-compliant.  Stupid DME cost her the chance to breathe!!!  I should have returned the machine as soon as I found out we couldn't get the support we needed.  But I thought we'd just get one from another company.  Stupid Medicare.  Don't listen to reason!  I'll have to fight this. 
so...….hope to 'see' you all soon and thanks for responses.  I appreciate it. 
Don't forget me.  Smile  I'll be back.
Lynneat
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like your husband has been using his CPAP for 6 years. It might be time to start working on a replacement machine. Medicare normally allows for replacement after 5 years, and it is best not to wait for the machine to completely fail. Not to add to your already confusing burden, but his DME can probably initiate the replacement process now. His recent experience with the machine malfunction was apparently solved by changing the filter, but other issues may be lurking around the corner.

Good luck with your challenges of getting everyone sorted with CPAP. Hopefully we can help. At least the Sleepyhead software self-installs easily.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, my sister is the only person I know of personally who was able to do without her cpap after using it for some years. She said you don't actually notice any difference yourself. A couple of months after she had nasal surgery, her doc recommended that she be retested for sleep apnea. Test resulted in no need for a machine. She still thinks it was medication that caused her apnea in the first place, but didn't have a test after she discontinued the medication. However, she didn't have an auto-machine so no real way to see that she was needing less and less support.

I have several relatives on cpap who lost weight (one, aconsiderable amount) and they all still need a cpap. In the past, I was told by the medical folks that those who lose weight and then don't need a cpap tend to be younger (under 35), which makes sense. Muscle elasticity goes down as you get older.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  F20 Touch (foam) cushion --Longer Use and Larger Leaks snorin2 18 2,074 09-26-2023, 03:09 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Pilot-24 no longer recognizes CPAP DanDV 1 697 08-20-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,639 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Help refining settings for longer sleep sleepnomore 0 387 02-24-2023, 09:26 AM
Last Post: sleepnomore
  Does your REM get longer each sleep cycle? fishfinderG 2 737 10-29-2022, 10:34 PM
Last Post: B1Sailor
  Need longer hose for Airsense 11 Jasper.1 3 1,255 03-21-2022, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Jasper.1
  AirSense 10 no longer detects heated hose tanker 6 1,626 03-15-2022, 07:40 PM
Last Post: tanker

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.