Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ahi < 5 is the goal correct
ahi < 5 is the goal correct
resmed autoset h5i s9 series
positive airway pressure device
with humidifier
nasal mask
pressure changed 12 to 16 (doctor prescribed 14), i set at 13.8
sometimes air pushes mouth open so i use chin strap
overweight 236 (was 262 dieting) age 63.5

Isnt the goal to get apneas to 5 or below (normal)

Am i missing something

I understand you still can work on other things
such as increasing sleep time, and helping with leaks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ahi < 5 is the goal correct
An AHI OF 5 or less is considered clinically treated, but has little to do with how you really feel or if your pressure is set correctly for you to receive optimal treatment.

Congrats on your weight loss. That's not easy to accomplish!

Are you using Sleepyhead software? If not, now is a good time to start. Link at top of page.

I have read your other threads and posts, and you talk a lot about mask leaks. With SleepyHead, you will be able to see if you are having mask or mouth breathing going on and what effect this has on your therapy.

If you are mouth breathing and your leak rate is high, you can't count on the Apap to do its job, and your AHI readings may not be correct.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
darn darn darn
i thought i had nailed it. i will keep trying

honestly i do not feel a lot better. now i understand ahi and leak rate
and how you feel have to be combined

I am going to get down to 200lbs in 2017 (i guess i should lower pressure)
then

is there some rule of weight. pressure in hospital 12 when i was at

I felt like i was being waterboarded and increased to 16 then 13.8
Post Reply Post Reply
Everyone is different, but the goal is to feel better in the mornings when you wake (and the rest of the day with out all the coffee). < 5 is a start, but for some it takes a while for the body top become accustomed to the change. If you maintain 5.0 or less, then I would focus on assuring you have good sleep habits and give it time to take affect. Don't get locked into a race to 0.0, for many that never happens and it leads to a lot of unnecessary frustration.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as I kinow, pressure is not set according to your weight. Although weight loss is a good thing, there are many folk out there that lose weight and still have sleep apnea, but may be able to use a lower pressure than they did at their higher weight.

Even though I've read through your prior posts, I don't recall seeing an AHI number, nor have you told us what your 90% pressure readings are. What's even more important is the breakdown of your apneas, like Obsteuctives, hypopneas, clear airways, etc.

Again, use SleepyHead software and give us some more information to go on. Once you do that, we can guide you on how to send us a screenshot of your data.
Then we may be able to advise you on pressure settings and see how that lines up with your doctor's advice.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started out thinking the same thing. Low AHI is the prize. For the first 5 months my number was headed in the right direction. In fact, statistically speaking, I was going to reach zero in month 6. Almost got there too, even had a few zeros. Month 6 has arrived and my numbers have gone up. Now they range between 1 and 3.

What happened????

Good news....... I started sleeping for the first time in over a year. More energy and all the good things that come with sleep. I still have events but I now sleep through them. It's a difficult journey and every month brings new challenges.

But, every month is better.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you wake up often at night? That will leave you feeling unrested in the morning. You could also have PLM that disturbs your sleep. I know that I feel better if my AHI is around 2 or less than at 3 or higher. And AHI does not measure flow limitations or snoring which can also affect your sleep.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2016, 05:49 PM)Rcgop Wrote: Good news....... I started sleeping for the first time in over a year. More energy and all the good things that come with sleep. I still have events but I now sleep through them. It's a difficult journey and every month brings new challenges.

But, every month is better.

That is Great News, I too have improved lots. And Frank I have been able to reduce the coffee later in the day, but I sure do want it. Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the most comfortable pressure and settings if comfort is the only goal? hejohoo 2 314 01-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  CPAP Settings correct? nickng33 1 427 11-21-2023, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP isn't helping. Do I actually have SDB, and are my PAP settings correct? Sleeper44345 15 1,178 08-20-2023, 08:47 PM
Last Post: jwest
  Lumis 100 and correct software for reading a sleep data?? doognibor 3 641 08-08-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Dire
  Reaching CPAP mode in your therapy the goal? aktmdn 1 362 07-19-2023, 08:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AHI still high (OSCAR data) with correct pressure SabersExcalibur 2 611 07-02-2022, 08:55 AM
Last Post: fishfinderG
  correct tongue posture in sleep Silvia10 6 1,894 06-25-2022, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Kuutar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.