Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ahi levels
Smile 
ahi levels
Hi i am new i have a f&p premo i had a ahi reading of 10 last night but the first 2 nights were around 5. anyone know why would this happen?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ahi levels
It's pretty common for AHI to fluctuate a bit. You may have had more leaks, or just slept differently. People new to CPAP usually have a fair amount of central airway events which contribute to AHI but generally go away after time as well. Definitely keep an eye on it, if it's consistently >5 you'll need to take corrective action.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2013, 02:06 AM)rjew123 Wrote: Hi i am new i have a f&p premo i had a ahi reading of 10 last night but the first 2 nights were around 5. anyone know why would this happen?

Welcome!

What eviltim said. also, your pressure could be too low at times. For 2 years, I was not sleeping more than 2 hours at a time when I was on CPAP therapy. I feel my pressure was too low as now I have an auto set machine and I sleep more than 2 hours at a time.

There could be a lot of reasons for AHI being high. Mine has consistently been under 2 each night and then Saturday night and during my nap (I have been having some sinus issues), my AHI was 4.5 average. I don't know why it was higher that day but it was.

I also would like to suggest checking to see if you can use sleepyhead software if your machine has an SD card or some other form of data on your machine and check your stats. I am still learning what all of it means.

Be your own advocate!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rjew123

I find that my AHI fluctuates depending on how well I sleep for what-ever reason...

In particular, sleeping on my back makes my AHI quite a bit higher.

Sleeping on my side gives me an AH of around 1.5 average.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rjew123,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect you have it backwards.
How well you sleep depends on your AHI.
Your AHI fluctuates depending on your sleep position, your leaks, nasal congestion, etc.

(09-30-2013, 06:12 AM)Moriarty Wrote: Hi rjew123

I find that my AHI fluctuates depending on how well I sleep for what-ever reason...

In particular, sleeping on my back makes my AHI quite a bit higher.

Sleeping on my side gives me an AH of around 1.5 average.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2013, 01:22 PM)bwexler Wrote: I suspect you have it backwards.
How well you sleep depends on your AHI.
Your AHI fluctuates depending on your sleep position, your leaks, nasal congestion, etc.

You are correct in that effective treatment leads to better sleep but that is not what I referred t0...

It doesn't happen often but if I am having a poor night due to non-medical reasons like pre-occupation with some issue, caffeine overload, sore back/hip, or just plain going to bed too late then my AHI is higher than normal. For me normal is 1.5 to 2.0. A night as described above is usually 3 to 5.

If I have a cold I simply can't use CPAP. I have a couple of lousy nights sleeping upright in my lounge chair so I don't keep my wife awake with my sleeping.

Post Reply Post Reply
No one knows what comes first the ahi or the sleep. Give yourself time to adjust to the machine. Look at averages and get the big picture.
If you have only been using the machine for three days good for you checking your numbers already. People gave you a good idea of what may be happening. How are you feeling?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,609 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 679 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Low O2 Levels During Sleep with Low AHI cmpman1974 60 5,093 01-01-2024, 09:24 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  [Treatment] Low AHI but dizziness and fatigue with spikes of low O2 levels John94 8 1,108 01-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: PamVT41
  CA's and low CO2 levels? MrIvanDrago 2 449 11-26-2023, 11:43 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Mouth tape at high pressure levels readyforsleep 6 832 09-17-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Rich66
  Oxygen levels advice john1977 11 1,374 07-18-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Apnea23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.