Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

air flow after removing mask
air flow after removing mask
Resmed S9: With mask on, air flow starts automatically after a deep breath, but air flow does not stop when mask is removed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: air flow after removing mask
as I recall, the resmed manual says that smartstart may not be reliable with some masks & at lower pressure. personally I use it to start therapy but always use the power button to stop it. I think that's because I don't want to register a large leak, even though I assume this feature was designed to avoid that. also, to avoid noise that'll wake up my wife.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a feature that can be activated to turn the machine off when the mask is removed. Years ago on some machines the feature didn't work very well on several brands and turned the machine off when it shouldn't. Because of that many of us quit using it. I don't know if the feature works properly or not nowadays. You can turn it on and see if it does if you want.
Post Reply Post Reply
My AirSense 10 AutoSet doesn't stop the air flow immediately after I disconnect my mask from the air hose. It takes it a few seconds to do it. That's not quick enough for me. 

That being the case, when I need to get up during the night to go to the bathroom, I just reach over and turn the machine off before I disconnect mask from air hose. That stops the air flow immediately. 

Once back in bed, I reattach the hose to my mask, take a breath or two, and I'm back in business.  Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the OP is talking about the gentle flow of air after you shut it off. That gentle flow is so condensation doesn’t form in the hose after it’s shut off. It’s a cool down feature. You will notice a snowflake at the top of the screen where the cell signal bars are indicating cool down is active. It runs for about 20mins. That’s why your run hours are higher than your usage hours on the machine. Mask fit also gets charged to run hours I believe.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Good point and thanks for posting that. I was wondering what that little emblem meant. I was just too lazy to look it up in my owner's manual.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
You’re welcome, but I think I’m wrong about his question. To the OP SmartStart doesn’t like pillow masks. It’s touch and go with them. It works for the P30i mask, at least for me it did. For the P10 resmed flat out says smartstart won’t work properly. That may be the case with your swift also.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 15 709 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 11 354 6 hours ago
Last Post: earnerd
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 72 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 292 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 267 04-15-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 184 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 109 8,760 04-08-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.