Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Newbie
CPAP Newbie
Hi everybody, I'm a CPAP newbie and have been lurking on this board for a few weeks. I figured it was time to tell me story.

I've been a snorer for as long as I can remember. My father was a big snorer, growing up I just assumed that's what people did. Fast forward a few (ok, maybe 20) years and I learn that I not only snore, but I snort, gasp and seem to stop breathing during the night. I never did anything about it because I was never aware of sleep apnea or how it related to snoring and not breathing.

Earlier this year I had abdominal surgery, afterwards the nurses told me they had a hard time getting me off of the anesthesia and had one of the worst sleep apnea cases they'd seen in a while. Having a medical professional tell me that gave me the push to talk to my doctor about it. He recommended a local ENT, who asked me a few questions, poked his instruments into all of the holes in my head and said that yep, based on my thick neck, out of place jaw I probably did have sleep apena. So off I went for a sleep test, the next morning I asked how I did and the tech told me "awful" and said I would be back soon to do another test with a CPAP. A few days later I heard from my doctor and I found out that I had an AHI of 63.9. During the sleep test I had 292 obstructive sleep apneas, 3 mixed apneas, 0 central apneas and 110 hypopneas. My oxygen desaturation was down to 75%.

So then I had another sleep test, this time with a CPAP. They kept increasing the pressure until the AHI came down, at 11 it was less than 3. So they recommended a CPAP with an empiric pressure of 12 cm H20 and that's what I've been using for the last week. I jumped in with both feet, determined to make it work and to keep using it for the rest of my life if necessary because well, I don't want to be dead or have a stroke or an aneurysm from my blood pressure going through the roof.

I've been reading the data every morning with SleepyHead, it shows that the AHI was been under 5 every night aside from the first night I switched from a nasal mask to nasal pillows.

For the last few years I haven't been able to concentrate on anything for very long, I was short-tempered, have gained weight, was wiped out by 5 PM almost every day and was grumpy and grouchy and my wife says it's gotten worse. I've had issues where I've woken up in the middle of the night and find that I can't move at all (sleep paralysis), I've always had OCD tendencies but find that it was getting worse over the last year. I haven't been able to read a book or newspaper in a while because I wasn't able to process what I was reading. Well, I could but it would take reading an article two or three times before it stuck. I've never been one to remember people that I've only met once or twice but it's gotten worse, I would run into somebody who obviously knew me but I had no idea who they were, my wife would tell me about when I met them and spent some time with them but I had no recollection of that at all.

I've been using the CPAP for just about a week and already feel the fog is lifting from my brain. I'm able to concentrate again, I feel that I'm less grumpy and am not as tired as I had been in the past. I'm still tired at the end of the work day but not falling asleep driving home tired or passing out in front of the TV at 6 PM. My wife says that I haven't snored at all since I started using it, she actually reached over to make sure I was actually in bed the first few nights because she didn't hear me making the noises she'd become accustomed to.

The only downside so far is I'm waking up earlier than I'd like to. On a normal work day I have my alarm set to 6:30 but I've been up at 5:45 or 6 PM a few days. That's never happened in the past, I was always hitting the snooze button 4 or 5 times before dragging myself out of bed. Thinking-about

So, that's my story! Lolabove I'm happy to be here, there looks like a lot of great information on this site and many people going through the same thing as me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Newbie
Welcome to the Forum from another newbie! Sleep-well

Regards;
Lex Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't knock the waking up earlier thing - you are acutally getting more useable hours in your day and that is *HUGE*. I used to sleep 8-9 hours minimum and now it's 6-7 typically. That's 2-3 more useable hours a day, or more notably 2.5 - 3.75 more *days* a month worth of time. It's better than an extra month a year of time to do what you like every year and feel vastly better while doing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Forum,

I experienced some of the same as you. I had major surgery about 4 years ago, and they had a hard time bringing me out of the anesthesia. At the time, I didn't know I had sleep apnea.
That was a scary experience.

I'm retired now, but when I was working, I set my alarm for 5:30am, and just couldn't seem to get up. Now after 8 months on CPAP, I don't set an alarm anymore, but wake up around 6:00am. The only difference is that now I feel pretty good at 6:00am. So I just get up early and enjoy the day!

Glad you are adapting to CPAP. It's a great feeling when you wake up and feel good!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ISnoreBadly,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you are off to a good start and you have a great attitude, which will go a long way toward your CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone!

Last night I decided to change the size of the nasal pillows I was using (changed from medium to large), it felt better in my nose but I guess it didn't work out so well. My wife woke me a little after midnight and said the hose was blowing air her (because the mask was no longer on my face), then when I woke up this morning I found the mask on the floor. SleepyHead says I had it on for a little over 3 hours for the whole night. Oh well, back to the original size I guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could be like me. I feel that my nose is between sizes. The larger one more comfortable, but too many leaks after a week of use. The smaller seeming not to have enough air or a little tight. I turned on the ramp and set it to start at 8 and ramp up in 15 minutes (I have pressure at 11). This resolved most of the issues with the smaller nasal pillow. Looking the strap around your head a bit seems to actually be the solution that it g ers have been successful with. I did that with the Wisp and that worked. Haven't figured out how to do the P10 yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 09:41 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote: You could be like me. I feel that my nose is between sizes. The larger one more comfortable, but too many leaks after a week of use. The smaller seeming not to have enough air or a little tight. I turned on the ramp and set it to start at 8 and ramp up in 15 minutes (I have pressure at 11). This resolved most of the issues with the smaller nasal pillow. Looking the strap around your head a bit seems to actually be the solution that it g ers have been successful with. I did that with the Wisp and that worked. Haven't figured out how to do the P10 yet.

Using the medium size wasn't uncomfortable but I've got a large nose so I thought the large size would be better. It felt better (wasn't squeezing as much in the middle) but no big deal, I can go back to the medium size. I have the ramp on my machine to start at 6 and go to 12 in 20 minutes and that's been fine for me so far.

I was just looking online and see that moving the straps around on your head loosens or tightens it, I'll try that and see if it makes a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 386 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 133 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 192 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 204 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 297 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.