Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aerophagia help!
Aerophagia help!
I started using CPAP about 2 months ago. I use it all the time at night, or try to. I have severe gas, burping, bloating, cramps, farting, agony from it. This month that has evolved to IBS, and I'm in misery.
I have poor peristalsis in my esophagus.
I don't know what to do. They lowered the pressure from 7 to 5. Little change.
I wake up in night feeling as if I'm getting no air.
What to try next?
This cure is worse than problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Aerophagia help!
(01-08-2016, 01:53 PM)EGils Wrote: I started using CPAP about 2 months ago. I use it all the time at night, or try to. I have severe gas, burping, bloating, cramps, farting, agony from it. This month that has evolved to IBS, and I'm in misery.
I have poor peristalsis in my esophagus.
I don't know what to do. They lowered the pressure from 7 to 5. Little change.
I wake up in night feeling as if I'm getting no air.
What to try next?
This cure is worse than problem.

Welcome to the forum EGils,
A start pressure of 5 is probably little or no help, especially if you feel starved for air.

Have you tried different sleep positions? If you are able, sleep a little elevated, and stay off your back.

You are most likely swallowing a lot of air, probably mouth breathing. Have you tried a chin strap?

I know this can be a painful condition, so hope you can get it under control.

Try googling Aerophagia, there are many good articles that may offer some help.

Also, at the bottom of this page, there are several related threads on the same subject.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had this problem and found that the pressure release setting was on off. My DME set it to 3 and everything was wonderful! You can do this yourself by going into the clinicians settings! Hope this helps!
Post Reply Post Reply
Gross 
thanks for ideas. I am willing to try everything.
During my sleep study, they had me sleep on my back. My entire life I've hated sleeping on my back. My score was 32 events/hour, severe sleep apnea. I also have 5 other severe sleep movement disorders, from severe restless legs to exploding head, and others.Oh-jeez
They set original pressure at 7, then reduced it to 5 when I complained of Aerophagia. I've tried to edge it back closer to 7. I'm small, slightly below recommended weight. From what I've read online, lower pressures help Aerophagia.
My apnea scores according to this machine are now in the 2-3 range, very normal.

I have had congestion all this time, so the mouth breathing has been an issue, at least temporarily. It is getting better now.
Can't raise the bed to solve it since I sleep on side or belly.
I had plenty of evidence of exhaustion, and though it has improved a bit, I still am sleeping about 10 hours a night. I have lupus and fibromyalgia.

Any more ideas? Huhsign Huh

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi EGils,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions.
Much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a youtube video in the Useful Links in my signature line at the bottom of this posts.

I think it helps some people, and it doesn't cost any money to try.

Some people get over aerophagia with time, some don't.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 593 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,644 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 11 523 02-19-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 407 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Ohmy Aerophagia is making me lose my mind urachan 9 850 01-01-2024, 05:01 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  EPR, Central Apnea, and Aerophagia rpierce 23 2,303 11-12-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.