Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep paralysis
Sleep paralysis
Hi all so I've been using a Cpap for over a year and I sleep very well with it and never fall asleep without it. This morning I was laying on the couch and fell asleep without it, at one point I woke up and felt almost paralyzed, I couldn't breath my eyes felt like lead I wanted to open them but couldn't and I couldn't yell out for my husband. It lasted 4-6 seconds and went away I was then able to sit up and was scared out of my mind. Has anyone else experienced this!? Is this normal!?

Thanks!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep paralysis
I have experienced similar, but that was before I started Cpap. I believe that are called night terrors.
It can be frightening, especially when you feel you have no control.
Google it. It is a type of sleep disorder.

Try not to nap without your Cpap! Sleep-on-pillow
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks opalrose... I always use the Cpap I just dozed off yesterday and I will NEVER do that again Sad I thought I was having some sort of stroke it was the scariest thing. Ever!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2016, 07:38 AM)Dmogo5100 Wrote: Thanks opalrose... I always use the Cpap I just dozed off yesterday and I will NEVER do that again Sad I thought I was having some sort of stroke it was the scariest thing. Ever!!!

I have always understood that to result from being woken suddenly from REM sleep. As I understand it the brain secretes a chemical that induces paralysis while in REM to prevent the body from acting out the movements in our dreams. If you wake suddenly from REM the counter agent has not had time to turn off the paralysis and you are stuck for a few seconds.

Sleep Paralysis Wiki

EDIT: And I used to experience that occasionally and it was terrifying.
Post Reply Post Reply
This explains why the respiratory therapist who delivered my first CPAP machine back in 2002 stressed that I should use it even when napping. That is the only time anyone from any DME has offered any direction or suggestion. I'm pretty sure that was the only DME in my experience that actually provided that level of expertise.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dmogo5100,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
When I lay down, I put the mask on and use the machine, even if I’m just going to lay there, that way, if I do wind up falling asleep, I don’t have to worry about it.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The therapist at my DME also advised never to sleep without my xPAP machine, not even napping. Heck, I even carry it in the car while traveling to use in case I let my wife drive.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2016, 07:21 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Dmogo5100,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
When I lay down, I put the mask on and use the machine, even if I’m just going to lay there, that way, if I do wind up falling asleep, I don’t have to worry about it.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.

Thanks trish6
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2016, 09:16 PM)Dmogo5100 Wrote: Hi all so I've been using a Cpap for over a year and I sleep very well with it and never fall asleep without it. This morning I was laying on the couch and fell asleep without it, at one point I woke up and felt almost paralyzed, I couldn't breath my eyes felt like lead I wanted to open them but couldn't and I couldn't yell out for my husband. It lasted 4-6 seconds and went away I was then able to sit up and was scared out of my mind. Has anyone else experienced this!? Is this normal!?

Thanks!!!!

Sorry I'm late to this party...

I used to have sleep paralysis before I started CPAP, haven't had any incidents of it since I've been on the hose.

It's terrifying... I would wake up, usually in an uncomfortable position but was unable to move anything at all. I could feel my arm or hand or whatever was uncomfortable start to go numb, when I tried to move it it would actually start to hurt. Sometimes I'd find that I could move a part of my body very slightly, sometimes I'd be able to rock back and forth a little bit. After what seemed like hours (but was probably only a few seconds) I'd be able to move but would suddenly drop right back to sleep.

Once I was laying on my left side, my arm was across my body hanging off the side of the bed. I kept trying to move it but it wouldn't move, then suddenly I could and it flung across my body and I smacked my wife in the head. She didn't appreciate that.

I've seen people talking about how they see something in their bedroom or feel like something is sitting on their chest. I've never had that happen I think it's because I knew it was sleep paralysis and not a demon or ghost or whatever.

Now that I know about Apnea and sleep paralysis I think back to episodes I had when I was younger, more than once I woke up paralyzed and having an Alice In Wonderland syndrome episode at the same time. THAT was scary.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am an experiencedsleep paralysis victim. Took a long time until I had a name for the episodes I had. I still get it when using cpap, and I still get it while sleeping on my side (some feel you can't have episodes when on cpap or on side, but that is not true). I have episodes that range from brief and mild, to more in depth, lasting a longer period of time, and feeling a presence in the room, putting pressure on my body....most people can't speak, but I can moan and utter a few very strained words as I try to wake myself out of that limbo. My sleep study doctor told me it's nothing to worry about, it's when your mind and body don't wake at the same time, your mind wakes, but your body is stuck in the deep sleep when you are paralyzed. Many have success waking up by wiggling their toes, I've been able to do that too. There is a documentary about Sleep Paralysis, but I refuse to watch it, because I don't want to put things in my head that will make it worse. 99% of the time my episodes occur if I wake up early in the morning and fall back asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 185 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,315 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 793 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 985 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 678 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,145 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.