Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

alaxo stent
alaxo stent
Interesting idea I just ran across. A stent that is inserted via a tiny tube thru one nostril and to the throat and then expands to hold the airway open. Would definitely take some getting used to applying this gadget, maybe no worse than netipotting, though.

It *sounds* like it would work for pure OSA and would solve a lot of the issues that can't be overcome with cpap. small too... no traveling issues! I am personally not ready to stuff one of these babies up my nostril to the back of my throat - however, for some it might be a right nice solution!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: alaxo stent
AlaxoStent People Wrote:The emotional hurdle of introducing the stent through a nasal passage into the throat is comparable with application of a contact lens to the eye. After education by the doctor and a short training period the patient according to experience can self-apply the stent safely and quickly.

In case of strong gag reflex sensitivity the AlaxoStent may not be the appropriate therapy.

yeah... I don't think it will be for me Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
Nor me. I can't even use a youth-sized boil and bite thing without gagging.

Post Reply Post Reply
Nope, couldn't do it. I have a very strong gag reflex...just brushing my back teeth can cause me to gag! Shock
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You insert this every night and remove it in the morning??

Um, no. Gross. Just setting gag reflex aside, the slime reflex is enough for me, thanks.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yea it would be a sure fail for me. The only thing going up my nose is my booger hook, and certainly not to the back of my throat Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
all the same, I really wish I thought I could use it!

Post Reply Post Reply
I am going to explore this a bit more. I would definitely consider this if it is an option for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just had this Alaxo stent arrive in the mail yesterday. I was so excited to try it. I really dislike using a CPAP machine although it is alot better than nothing. I was so hopeful that the stent would be a winner because I travel a bit with work and hate having to cart around my CPAP. Esp as I take it as carry on and it uses up the valuable space and weight limit.

Anyway, unfortunately it was a dismal failure for me, which saddens me a lot. I thought it would be uncomfortable and take a week or 2 to get used to but honestly it sits right in the gag reflex zone at the back of the throat and every time I swallow (normal saliva type subconscious swallow) it triggers the whole stent to shift and makes me gag and want to pull it straight out! I tried hard to let it sit in there and to relax and try and get myself to become accustomed to the feeling of the stent insertion tube but it was a terrible feeling. I would sit there and consciously not swallow so as not to induce a gag reflex but it isnt something I can see myself adapting and getting used to unfortunately.

There is no way I would be able to speak with it in place either. I dont think I will be able to get any refund for it but will look into it (you can tell I really thought it would work for me that I didnt check this refund policy when purchasing!). Anyway, my hot tip for others it to check your ability to tolerate a 16cm tube the length of the stent (similar to the insertion tube provided with the stent). The stent feels much worse than the insertion tube because it opens up in the area which is the whole idea as it holds the airways open. Its a very rough scratchy feeling right in a particularly sensitive zone.

Anyway, there are not many negative reviews for this device and in the interest of fairness I thought I would share my opinion so others may have the chance to test themselves as suggested prior to making the fairly significant investment (cost me AUD$610 delivered).
Post Reply Post Reply
No. I won't be trying this. FWIW it reminds me of an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, Total Recall. He had to pull the tracking device out of his nostril. Yeah that isn't working here.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,209 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Alaxo Stents - tell me everything! CPAPfriend 2 328 02-06-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Looking to buy Alaxo 6 inch stent (soft palate stent) tmoneyman35 4 759 01-24-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Can nasal airway stent help UARS but not completely treat it? airwaystent 9 974 12-19-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  Alaxo 6" stent and understanding pulse results DLEWIS 15 1,657 06-18-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: BKeeper
  Review of the Alaxostent Nasal Stent tiredofbeingtired 2 5,223 04-08-2021, 08:10 PM
Last Post: terriergal
  Alaxo nasal stent Canadaguy 12 3,679 02-21-2020, 04:20 AM
Last Post: yrnkrn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.