Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

alaxo stent
RE: alaxo stent
(04-30-2015, 08:36 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Nope, couldn't do it.  I have a very strong gag reflex...just brushing my back teeth can cause me to gag!   Shock

I know that was the case for me at times in my life but...those times were only during pregnancy.  Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2018, 01:01 PM)terriergal Wrote:
(12-14-2018, 09:35 AM)bonjour Wrote: I feel that this is a potential treatment for some people.  So much so that I added it to a couple of our WIKI articles.  In this case I feel it is a consideration.  This obviously needs to be confirmed by a doctor who is familiar with the stent.

I really hope I can give it a try but i have to go through their hoops first re the titration test and whatnot.  I tell ya I am going to say something every time my palate closes because I hear from many people that they don't see it show up on the tests.
Ahhhh, the squeaky wheel theory, a good one in this case.
I would keep a diary, a log, date, time, and event, most notably your palate collapse.  Document the need.
Look for a doctor that is familiar with and uses the Alaxo Nasal Stent.  The goal is to get evaluated to see if it is appropriate for you.  The big question is will the stent prevent your palate prolapse.
In the meantime post nightly charts from Sleepyhead and let's see what can be done with CPAP to help you, if not help your palate closing.

Correct me if I am wrong, WHEN (not if) your "palate closes" you have no trouble breathing out, it just goes out through your mouth?  I'm thinking a hybrid mask, such as the Amara View or ResMeds new mask (F30?), may help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2018, 12:55 PM)terriergal Wrote: BTW I am used to CPAP. I can sleep with it on some of the time. I hate the constriction on my head. I wear a wig and all day I have something snug on my head usually, i don't want it 24/7 (the CPAP is much tighter and I wouldn't  want to even ever sleep with my wig on either!). 

There are three masks so far that have minimal headgear (photos below, click to enlarge), much easier to put up with than a frame that encloses your head.  The most minimal kind uses one backstrap and nothing else, like a dust mask.

The headgear shouldn't have to be tight.  This will differ slightly from one person to another, but generally it should be snug, not tight enough to bother you.  The seal should come from other design features, not from having to forcefully clamp the cushion or nosepiece to your face.  I think the usual recommendation is to start with it loose enough to be comfortable and then gradually tighten it just enough that it doesn't leak.

F&P Brevida, Philips Nuance, Resmed P10:

Post Reply Post Reply
P.S. about masks with ear loops (RE: alaxo stent)
... And the Brevida can easily be adapted to have no traditional headgear at all, just ear loops.  See this post of mine.  Earlier in that thread is a mention of the Swift FX Bella mask (that's a link to the Resmed product page ... I like the suggestion to "accessorize with your CPAP mask"), which has ear loops as standard equipment, so that's one to look at if you don't like having a cage around your head.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: P.S. about masks with ear loops (RE: alaxo stent)
(12-15-2018, 04:33 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: ... And the Brevida can easily be adapted to have no traditional headgear at all, just ear loops.  See this post of mine.  Earlier in that thread is a mention of the Swift FX Bella mask (that's a link to the Resmed product page ... I like the suggestion to "accessorize with  your CPAP mask"), which has ear loops as standard equipment, so that's one to look at if you don't like having a cage around your head.

And now we know what Fats Drywaller really looks like.. Ear loops.

[Image: photo-1463008420065-8274332e2be8.jpeg?resize=1280%2C640]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a Sphynx, the E.T. cat!

I always feel sorry for those hairless breeds. They look like they must be freezing to death.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks - i did recently try (for my titer test) a brevida or maybe the pilairo, all they wrote on my paperwork when i asked was "fisher and paykel nasal pillows) but I am not sure which of that style it was, exactly.  I did like it better than the nasal mask I'm using now, and better than the pillows I've used before (seemed more secure).

But yes, since my face gets squished up in different positions i end up having to put the mask on pretty tight.  so i have marks much of the morning into the afternoon. It's so annoying and uncomfortable.

I did write to Alaxo and they asked if I had a provider who would write the prescription. I have a provider, just not sure if they're what he meant if they are unfamiliar with the product. Anyway I have some inquiries in. I would LOVE to leave the machine behind entirely. I don't care if I have to pay out of pocket for something to stick up my nose!  Or even pillar procedure. I am sick of the machine.  I admit it does help, but only for snoring/inhalation. It makes exhalation much more difficult.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2018, 03:01 PM)bonjour Wrote: Ahhhh, the squeaky wheel theory, a good one in this case.
I would keep a diary, a log, date, time, and event, most notably your palate collapse.  Document the need.
Look for a doctor that is familiar with and uses the Alaxo Nasal Stent.  The goal is to get evaluated to see if it is appropriate for you.  The big question is will the stent prevent your palate prolapse.
In the meantime post nightly charts from Sleepyhead and let's see what can be done with CPAP to help you, if not help your palate closing.

Correct me if I am wrong, WHEN (not if) your "palate closes" you have no trouble breathing out, it just goes out through your mouth?  I'm thinking a hybrid mask, such as the Amara View or ResMeds new mask (F30?), may help you.

I tried a mask (not sure which) at my titer test.  The Brevida or pilairo I was using ended up having the palate closure so air would seep out the corner of my mouth (along the outside of my teeth, through my cheek or both cheeks) and so they said I was "mouth breathing? but I was only mouth breathing on exhale.  So they switched me.  Immediately everything was worse (I think I said on a different thread) because since my mouth doesn't really open much when sleeping, the air which was seeping out through my cheeks/corner of mouth couldn't seep through that way anymore from the pressure of the mask on my cheeks.  So my cheeks would just puff out and I would have to consciously swallow or open my throat, or air would go down my espophagus. I felt much more like I was suffocating. The test was also using BiPap so they played with pressures and never got it to work.

Sleep tech was pleased that the mask helped my mouth breathing though.  :-\  Yeah I was not nearly as thrilled about that.  He said "you probably didn't even realize you were doing it."  I said "No I was completely aware I was just trying to relax and try to sleep and let the machine do the work as much as I could. I think I've been pretty wide awake for the last 45 minutes."  If he didn't know I wasn't asleep what are all those machines and wires for?  sigh.

Anyway I am going to call an ENT in the cities that saw me for this before (he shrugged it off) and I'm going to use a couple different terms to describe what I am having  happen.  See if that jogs his memory and also see if he would be willing to look into the AlaxoStent for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
If anyone is interested in the Alexo stent I think it's OK to post this URL here, since it's the manufacturer's website.

http://www.alaxo.com/alaxostent_eng.html

Excluding the "ick" factor, what I found disappointing is that the device isn't as good as CPAP. From the website, a study they did:

31.0 AHI untreated
19.0 AHI with stent
  8.2 AHI with CPAP

So this is only for people who have problems with CPAP. I get AHI < 1.0 on most nights, and RDI of 1.36 average for last 30 days. So CPAP is working much better for me than this stent probably would.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think this device is more for people with expiratory flow issues like palatal prolapse.  from what I'm learning - CPAP doesn't seem to help much with issues and blockaghes arising in expiration/exhale.

I'd try it - does the OP want to send me theirs? (I'm in the SouthEast USA) LOL - as funny (and potentially gross) as that sounds, I'd soak it in alcohol and at least try it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,372 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Alaxo Stents - tell me everything! CPAPfriend 2 357 02-06-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  [Treatment] Can nasal airway stent help UARS but not completely treat it? airwaystent 9 1,032 12-19-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  Alaxo 6" stent and understanding pulse results DLEWIS 15 1,682 06-18-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: BKeeper
  Review of the Alaxostent Nasal Stent tiredofbeingtired 2 5,309 04-08-2021, 08:10 PM
Last Post: terriergal
  Alaxo nasal stent Canadaguy 12 3,722 02-21-2020, 04:20 AM
Last Post: yrnkrn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.