Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

algae in my humidifier
algae in my humidifier
Saturday night I put fresh distilled water in my humidifier, Sunday I went up to take a nap and smelled something a little funky when I turned on my cpap. The smell went away after a few seconds but last night when I went to check the level in my tank I saw algae in it , crap, it looked like my pool after a week long vacation. It's been hot and humid here but in all my years I have never seen anything like this. I cleaned it as best I could this morning also cleaned the mask and hose but do you think it will be ok to put a little bleach in the tank for a few hours soak to kill the algae? I of course will wash and rinse before I use it. Jeeze! I was breathing that crap, no wonder I have a cough that won't go away.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: algae in my humidifier
What sort of cleaning schedule do you follow? Your tank should be washed and rinsed once a week.

This is what I do:
First thing in morning, remove water chamber, empty water and leave air dry. Also leave the top cover to the humidifier open to allow air circulation though the humidifier.

I only use distilled water, and don't fill it until time for bed.

I wouldn't recommend using bleach. It may kill the algae, but then you will breath in that odor too. At this point, I would not use that chamber. Buy a new one! They aren't that expensive.

Also, that algae may be in your hose too. REPLACE IT!
You only have one set of lungs!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Everything I have read about cleaning CPAP machines says to never, ever use bleach. I was also told this by the respiratory therapist who showed me how to set up and use my CPAP machine when I got it.

Vinegar is recommended rather than bleach if you need a cleaner with some "bite" to it.

I agree with OpalRose about replacing your humidifier chamber. You can buy a new one from an online supplier for under $30, including shipping. (see list at the top of this page or just do a web search for "PR System One Humidifier Chamber". A new hose is probably a good idea, too. Those are less than $10.

Here's to algae-free breathing for you! Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if you got some bad distilled water. I'd think that algae needs something to eat and distilled water has nothing.

Fill it full of Hydrogen Peroxide, let it soak until it stops foaming, and rinse it out. That works for the mildew in the water tank of my coffee machine.

I suppose some aquarium snails are out of the question? Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I think Hydrogen Peroxide is a safe enough bleach. The usual chlorine bleaches should be avoided because they leave an awful smell behind unless washed many times. I have used H2O2 to sterilize my humidifier a number of times with not noticeable smell afterwards.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Doesn't algae require light to survive? Algae blooms are usually near the surface, require CO2, and light for photosynthesis.
Or, am I off on my marine flora biology?

I think H2O2 is a great idea.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think we know he actually had algae growth unless he took samples and put it under a microscope. Just because it looks like algae doesn't mean it is. Algae are not visible individually without a microscope. Also, properly distilled water won't grow algae because there is nothing in it for them to eat. Plants require nutrients just as much as animals do.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm amazed how many people don't do a daily cleaning schedule, but prefer to do a hard chemical cleaning after a significant period of time.

Why not clean every day with a mild soap? I do this every day and I've never felt I needed to do a strong chemical cleanse -- even after two years.

Make it part of your daily morning routine to wash the tank and mask with soap each day. The hose should be washed at least once weekly. One part vinegar, one part water, is good as a gentle quick natural clean on everything too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2016, 08:44 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: I'm amazed how many people don't do a daily cleaning schedule, but prefer to do a hard chemical cleaning after a significant period of time.

Why not clean every day with a mild soap? I do this every day and I've never felt I needed to do a strong chemical cleanse -- even after two years.

Too much work, too little return?

If it bothers ya, go for it. However, I find dumping it out, letting it dry, always using bottled distilled water and throwing it in the dishwasher every few weeks works well.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't see the point of throwing away perfectly good distilled water, myself. I usually wipe the cushions each night with a wet wipe, mostly because I like the smell. Really folks, germs are all around us and within us and all over our skin all the time. Yet we still manage to live somehow.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 755 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 785 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 514 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.