Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

androgel and sleep apnea?
androgel and sleep apnea?
I'm 20 years old and have been on a bipap for some months now. I've recently been prescribed Androgel 1.62% for my very low testosterone. I've been experiencing sexual dysfunction for months and I was hoping this would help. It also wouldn't go amiss if it helped my mood and helped me achieve my weight loss goals. I've just taken my first dose not one hour ago, and I'm a bit scared. I've researched androgel online and it supposedly exacerbates sleep apnea. During the long wait to get a bipap the idea of sleeping scared me shitless. I'd stay up for days not because of sleep apnea, but because of the fear I'd die in my sleep. But months into use of my bipap, that's much better. Now though, here's this worry in my mind. The prescribing doctor knows of my sleep apnea and my bipap use, but he didn't mention anything to me about the possible breathing side effect of the androgel.

Anyone have experience with this? What do you think I should do? Should I just stop my worrying and take my medicine or should I just abstain from it completely until I can get a doctor to sign a legal document in his own blood that I'll be fine? Advice very appreciated, thanks guys.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: androgel and sleep apnea?
You are using a CPAP machine that treats your sleep apnea. That's different than not using a machine at all.

What machine do you have? Are you reading the data from it? If you are (or are not, start doing so), then just keep an eye on the data. It may take several days for any changes to be seen, if any happen at all.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi orel,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Paula said.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Weeelllll.... Androgel is unlikely to affect the efficacy of the CPAP in any real way - if you are overly sensitive to it it may have a knock on effect, but I don't think you should worry just yet. What Androgel can do is make you more awake at night, due to the increase in testosterone, but it can't worsen OSA, since it doesn't have any real effect on the tensile strength or flexibility of the soft tissue of the throat. It may have an effect on CSA, but I haven't seen any literature to support that solidly. Most likely it only affects the sleep centres a little, and you probably won't see a major change in your compliance numbers. If you do, let your doc know and he will adjust your box accordingly to compensate for the effect. Take your meds and stay on the machine, and don't be so scared. Your doc isn't so blithe as to give you a drug that could harm you in any way.

Of course, with the upped testosterone, there is a chance your hair may start to fall out, but other than that..... :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2013, 11:33 AM)orel Wrote: I'm 20 years old and have been on a bipap for some months now.

{yadda yadda}

The prescribing doctor knows of my sleep apnea and my bipap use, but he didn't mention anything to me about the possible breathing side effect of the androgel.

Anyone have experience with this? What do you think I should do? Should I just stop my worrying and take my medicine or should I just abstain from it completely until I can get a doctor to sign a legal document in his own blood that I'll be fine?
[/quote]

I guess I took it for granted there'd be no interactions.
I take my testosterone in pill form. Side effects? I'm really not sure.
I attribute any troubles with the mismatch between me and my old CPAP.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL OR MEDICAL ADVICE - JUST OPINION

In that situation I'd probably take medication as prescribed and get in to see the doctor ASAP for the final word. If you don't feel comfortable with that, it's OK. I think. I'm not telling you what to do; I'm saying what I would probably do in that situation.

Post Reply Post Reply
Testosterone hmm? Have any irresistible urges to crush beer cans on your forehead or bend steel bars with your teeth?

Big Grin
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2013, 11:33 AM)orel Wrote: I've recently been prescribed Androgel 1.62% for my very low testosterone.

I just started a script of Androgel 1.62% myself last week.

orel Wrote:I've researched androgel online and it supposedly exacerbates sleep apnea.

Very interesting. My Endocrinologist ordered a Sleep Study on me because of my Low Testosterone. That's how I found out about my complex sleep apnea.

I was under the impression that low testosterone was a caused by sleep apnea. ??? I need to research this more.

orel Wrote:Should I just stop my worrying and take my medicine or should I just abstain from it completely until I can get a doctor to sign a legal document in his own blood that I'll be fine?

Take your medicine as prescribed by your doctor. A prescription is a legal document that legally bounds your doctor's orders.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2013, 10:58 AM)Labrat0116 Wrote: Very interesting. My Endocrinologist ordered a Sleep Study on me because of my Low Testosterone. That's how I found out about my complex sleep apnea.
I was under the impression that low testosterone was a caused by sleep apnea. ??? I need to research this more.

Several years ago my testosterone level was checked and it was in the cellar. I'd be very interested in connections between testosterone levels and sleep apnea. Ideally I'd like to find a controlled study where they found a bunch of men who had both sleep apnea and low testosterone, put them on CPAP and, after several months of successful CPAP therapy re-tested their testosterone levels. I'm curious whether getting the sleep apnea under control actually makes a difference in testosterone levels, and how much.

Please post back with anything you find about the relationship between sleep apnea and testosterone. Or any other hormone, for that matter.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect that the same things that create the sleep apnoea also create the lowered progesterone levels when the two show up together, rather than one cause the other. Obesity, for instance certainly causes both, and can contribute to a feedback loop that once broken, could see a resolution of both problems. At any rate, testosterone levels are dropping strongly in the West, for reasons that are not yet fully understood. Stress, diet, pollution, you name it....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 286 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.