Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

annabellecx (Therapy Thread)
RE: OSCAR interpretation help- newbie!
Hey thank you!

This is good but could you actually show it for the entire night? Just zoom out all the way, I just want to see how many times these instances happen.

I have very similar FLs, they happen for me i've found out recently when I lay on my back and not my side. It's very strange!
Post Reply Post Reply

Yeah of course! Is that any better? 
That's interesting, does it look similar to yours here?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup! Exactly like that. 

Seems you do have the same problem as me and a few on here, my guess is the high respiratory rate is some flow limitation and the machine picking up your heart rate. 

I find I get it a lot less, (and feel more rested), when I sleep on my slide and wear something to make sure I do. Something is going on in our throats when we're super relaxed to cause this weird ass breathing pattern. 

You're in the right place though!
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, definitely going to try out a different sleeping position then- thanks for the advice. Didn’t know that about the heart rate! I’ll have to do some more reading about what you’ve mentioned, it’s so interesting.
Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
You can read our wiki on cariogenic oscillations. The examples in the wiki are not very extreme, but give you an idea. I'm sure if you zoom in on your high flow limitation flow-rate where a high respiration rate is indicated, you will see very extended inspiration with a lot of waves in the breath as it rises to a peak. That is the more extreme version, and I may go back and add some images of that to the wiki. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cillations
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
     Thanks for that- I did have a look at that page earlier actually! I think that fits with my graphs except my flow rate is a lot less of a regular pattern, what would that mean?
Post Reply Post Reply
We have seen similar flow limits that look like car-wrecks or smashed cars from some other members. Here are examples to show you're not alone.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid430887
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid400429
Here is the link to Modest811's thread with the issue http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...rate-error

This is the kind of problem that responds better to bilevel therapy, where we can help support inspiratory effort with pressure during inhale, and even force the machine to maintain inspiratory positive air pressure (IPAP) for a minimum time of inspiration that does not let it cycle back before a normal breath completes. For example, your machine works entirely on spontaneous effort, and it does not recognize when inhale begins and ends when it is this chaotic. I have even seen people use higher level machines like ST and ASV to address this kind of severe flow limitation and failing inspiratory effort. The problem is there is not any good medical literature or documentation of this issue and insurance and doctors don't like the unfamiliar. This is not something that CPAP was intended to address, and I have seen a number of cases of this chaotic breathing that did not respond to more advanced PAP therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, thank you for those links. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to buy a biPAP or the more advanced machines, and my doctors are unlikely, as you say, to be up to date with this. I think instead I'll try using something to keep me on my side as I sleep for the next few weeks and see if the flow limitations decrease. 
Thanks for all the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
hey annabelle

Just checking in, how are you doing with apap now?
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi Smile
I've attached some photos of 2 different days, one with a zoomed section. I've felt better sleeping on my side due to not swallowing air anymore, but I'm not sure it's helped the high flow/respiratory rates and the weird inspiration pattern. Not sure how to interpret if things have changed since last time looking at these, except I think my resp. rate is peaking lower now. Seems the weird throat thing is ongoing..
You still having the same problem?
Annabelle
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,057 10 hours ago
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 149 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 247 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,257 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,330 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 950 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,193 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.