Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

any advice on having the flu and using cpap?
any advice on having the flu and using cpap?
I have ended up with a runny / blocked nose and sore throat today, there is a flu going around and I wondered if there is any advice on using cpap while sick... I am a mouth breather so I am hoping that the full mask will be ok. I am not sure what to expect tonight, or will it just be the same but feeling yuck.. ??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: any advice on having the flu and using cpap?
While using cpap you don,t want getting any sinus infection and the only thing I can suggest beside doctors is to rest, drink plenty of fluids, chicken soup (Jewish penicillin) and do the sinus washes: FLO or Neilmed
Post Reply Post Reply
I have only had about an hours sleep and it's not going well... first night I am struggling with cpap - mind you just sitting up is uncomfortable with my headache, runny nose and achy muscles... I don't have any nasal sprays so apart from inhaling a bit of steam, it's time to try get a bit more sleep Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll be just fine using your CPAP while suffering the bug. In fact the air pressure will help to keep your nasal passages open better.

I would clean your hose, mask and humidifirer water chamber daily (suggest a rinse of small amount of peroxide and water) so that you don;t keep re-infecting yourself.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
You're going to be miserable with the flu, CPAP or not. I hope you feel better soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Put a tissue with some olbas oil near your intake, will help you too breath better
Post Reply Post Reply
And yes, clean the mask and hose daily.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2012, 05:24 AM)Ulrika Wrote: I have ended up with a runny / blocked nose and sore throat today, there is a flu going around and I wondered if there is any advice on using cpap while sick...

The CPAP machine will give you your own private source of humidified air. When I had a sinus infection recently, a result of tree pollen allergies, I was congested and had a cough. Went to the doctor and got some antibiotics and steroids, but I also cranked up the humidifier setting. Keeping those mucous membranes moist helps speed up your recovery.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same here. I had a really bad case of bronchitis (although the doc said it was probably pneumonia by the time it was done with me). I realized I felt much better first thing in the morning and figured it was the humidifier. I got an itty bitty one to sit on my desk next to me and it really helped, too.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just read:

It is best not use PAP when you have a cold or sinus infection to avoid problems of blocked ear canals and headaches. Sometimes the congestion remains in the ears and sinuses after the acute symptoms of the cold are gone.

It's been about a week now and my flu seems to be over but my ears are blocked ... wondering if I should try not using CPAP in future with a flu and do I stop now until my ears unblock?? *sigh* I hate not using my mask Sad
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 291 3 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 862 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,797 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 797 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.