Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

any side sleepers with full face mask
any side sleepers with full face mask
Anyone have trouble not breaking your seal when sleeping on your side/stomach.Im having a heck of a time thinking about trying a nasal mask that's less bulky then my full mask any veterans got any advice for this newbie.thanks in advance
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: any side sleepers with full face mask
Try the RemZzzs Mask liner. It works for some. I am trying it with my F10 and it is helping.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
When i started out I had a devil of a time trying to sleep an any position with any mask type. Now, It seems I could sleep upside down and not bother me. (I won't try to validate this statement) My problem was that a normal pillow would compress where my head was but not where the mask is located. This would push the mask off. I finally tried a buckwheat pillow (kinda' like a concrete block but pliable and a little softer) and had great success. Recently I tried going back to a regular pillow using a FFM. I found that I could pretension the inner strap (the one between your head and the pillow) by slightly pulling on it as I relaxed on my side and had no problem sleeping.

Of course the two fastest ways to look like an idiot is to: 1. Try to demonstrate something on the computer to someone and 2. Recommend CPAP sleeping techniques.

Good luck,
-The idiot

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found that I have a little success by scrunching my down pillow and putting it back on my head when laying on my side - by that I mean the pillow is in a ball and hits my head behind my ear. That way the mask is not hit by the pillow. Works until I fall asleep and then all bets are off - Smile
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I try to sleep on my side as often as I can and often move my FFM slightly causing a leak. I attempt to sleep with most of my face hanging off the edge of the pillow as I find that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
currently using the F-10 FFM with no problem, previously the Quatro FX, with an occasional slipping problem. Key is in the pillow and its "give", or using one with a cut-out or indentation at the sides. I have settled in on a "CPAP Pillow" that has less foam or "stuffing" on the each side in a semicircular pattern - sort of a mask cut-out. There are a number of them available and it is a matter of personal choice. I will see if I can come up with an actual model/supplier for you and send it to you by pm.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BigCat,
This has been a problem for me ever since I started using my ASV machine. There is a little more pressure than I was used to so I would end up with days that were 30% major leaks but then the next night it is 0.00%. All because of the problem you have talked about. I did try a harder pillow and tightened the lower strap to hold things in place but that caused a situation where I started to roll onto my back which is a no no for me. It pushes my AHI through the roof. I was a back sleeper before I started with treatment so it is easy for this to happen. A big problem.
So I purchased a standard size firm pillow and hang the mask slightly off the end as I sleep and this worked wonders. It stops the mask being pushed to one side. I do, however, occasionally fall off the end but at least I am sleeping on my front and not my back.
There are special pillows that you can buy from any of the suppliers, the list is at the top of the page, with holes in the middle and curves on the end but a firm short pillow worked for me.
Good luck with this and stick at it. I am really starting to feel the benefit and I have been at this for less than a year.
Sleep well my friend,
Don
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
Thomas A. Edison

Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for all the info guys
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thing is to make sure to wash your face with soap and water before bed. I don't have too much trouble keeping a seal if I hang my face over the end. But if I forget to wash, my face gets oilier as the night goes on and leaks happen with less mask movement. Google for "CPAP Gel Liners" for an interesting product that might help. I have not tried them yet but they look interesting. It would avoid the "slippery face" problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a side sleeper (both) and use a Quatro FX FFM and will get a leak from time to time, but nothing big. I also use a hose buddy to route the house, but need to rerun it to fix a minor routing issue. I use normal pillows and don't seem to have any issues. The only problem is my wife complains when I face her as she feels the normal outflow from the mask.

Oh, and I have been able to stomach sleep, but don't ask me how.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 413 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 985 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 526 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,611 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 258 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.