Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

any thoughts?
any thoughts?
Hi all. So I've been using a CPAP since early 2018. Was a very loud snorer, but it seemed to help on that front. I also used to be a bit heavier, but have lost some weight and stay fairly active, running around 15-20 miles a week. 

Problem is, I'm still tired and I feel it's been worse lately. I saw my PCP, who is looking into some other things, but I'm wondering if anything can be gleaned from my sleep reports. I just found out about uploading data from the SD card, so here are my last few nights. Nothing seems crazy high, but I noticed that I barely have any obstructive events. Not sure what the significance of RERA is, but they seem to keep showing up too. I deal with a pretty high level of anxiety too, which sometimes makes falling asleep difficult (and occasionally have those weird moments where I'll shoot up gasping for air as I start to drift off). I'm still trying to figure things out, so let me know if any other info would be helpful, thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: any thoughts?
Welcome to Apnea Board. Your Airsense 10 Autoset is set to a range of 5-10 pressure with EPR at 1. Your pressure rises on flow limitations which is basically airway restriction or or partial obstruction that reduces flow, increases respiratory effort and gives rise to respiratory effort related arousals (RERA) and hypopnea. Your solution is at hand. Increase the minimum pressure to 8.0, increase EPR to 3 and increase maximum pressure to 12.0. This will make breathing easier, reduce arousals and hypopnea, and should feel pretty darn good.

If you're using Ramp, turn it off. That big boost in pressure immediately after ramp ends is no accident, it's the result of insufficient therapy pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, you are reading my thoughts. The charts says min of 8, boost the max a bit and with the underlying flow limits increase EPR to 3
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, thank you both! Consensus seems like a good thing, so I just tweaked my settings and will report back.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, gave it a shot. Had some trouble falling asleep with the pressure increase (which I'm guessing is why there are so many CAs at the start?) and it looks like I had some issues with leaking there too. Willing to keep trying though!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, the CAs at the very start are almost certainly "sleep-wake junk" while you're falling asleep. I'm sure the others will be around soon to give you some more advice. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with Ratchick,
The CA's showing at the start of therapy are what we call SWJ (sleep wake junk).  Nothing to worry about.

Sleep-Wake-Junk - Clusters of apnea and hypopnea events concentrated mainly around periods of sleep-wake transition. In general Sleep-wake-junk (SWJ) is not regarded as "real" since they do not occur during periods of sleep, but may be during semi-awake periods or "dozing".

The Hypopneas came down quite nicely with the pressure changes.  

As far as the leaking, the spikes on the leak graph suggest mask movement.  Very minor... maybe turning over in sleep.  

I would say hold steady with these settings for a couple days.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK yep a consensus. Those CA appeared near the beginning of the sleep session, was just after editing settings, where CA weren't present hardly beforehand, SWJ as in Sleep wake junk.

Part 2 or the rest of the story, the rest of the night seemed to have a lessening of events, but Flow Limits are still present at .25. You could likely stay at this pressure set and see what trends you make, with the possibility that the Max pressure may need to be bumped up later.

So besides a slight delay in sleep onset, how was the remainder? Feel better, worse, same? Did it result in better sleep? Those answers help decide if it was effective.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Much appreciated all. And yeah, feel like I was struggling to fall asleep at the start there.

Overall I feel…about the same I think? I wasn’t expecting a revelation right away, but I’m up for sticking with these settings for a bit. Let’s see what tonight brings.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK sounds good. Let's see what tomorrow brings
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 939 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,818 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  Your thoughts on my stats Brennie 60 2,668 12-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Brennie
  some thoughts after a few weeks? ifsmithy 39 1,658 12-21-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 450 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  New mask, thoughts on my sleep data? SleepyMcDonald 1 416 11-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Anyone seen it/tried it? Thoughts. David Clark 6 754 06-16-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.