Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

anyone for a bananna split?
anyone for a bananna split?
I don't want you guys to think I made this up:

FOR ALLERGY SUFFERERS
Try to reduce mucas reducing foods (like banannas) for 2 weeks and then reintroduce them to see if there is a changeSleep Apnea
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: anyone for a bananna split?
The Following Offered with all due credit to University of Maryland Medical Center

Foods that Cause Excessive Mucus

Certain beverages and foods can cause excessive mucus in certain people because they have an allergic reaction to the particular food and can also worsen certain medical conditions like asthma, colds, the flu, emphysema, COPD and cystic fibrosis. These foods include:

Dairy products can cause excessive mucus causing the mucus to be thicker than normal. Dairy foods include milk, yogurt, cheese and the foods that have these dairy products in them.
High-fat red meat and processed meats can also cause excessive mucus to become a problem. This can happen with anyone, but is more of a problem with those who have COPD.
Gluten found in wheat products, rye and barley can also cause excessive mucus. This is especially true for those who have an allergy or intolerance to gluten or if you have cystic fibrosis [1].
Alcohol. Each person is different, but from my own experience, I can say that too much alcohol can cause excessive mucus and the associated sinus problems.
Sugar
Caffeine and especially soda pop that contains both sugar and caffeine.
Fruits and vegetables like bananas, cabbage and potatoes possibly cause excessive mucus, especially bananas.

Foods that Relieve Excessive Mucus

Other than eliminating the foods that can cause excessive mucus, there are certain foods that can relieve excessive mucus including:

Certain vegetables and fruits such as garlic, pickles, celery, onions, parsley, winter squash, berries, oranges, greens, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and peppers.
Chicken soup can also relieve the problem of excessive mucus.
Fatty fish including tuna, salmon, sardines, lake trout, herring and flounder.
Olive oil.

Home Remedies to Loosen a Tight Chest and Reduce Mucus

Put a teaspoon of the real horseradish (white or red) in a bowl and mix in a little lemon juice. This horseradish can be very hot and will loosen the tight chest and cause the excessive mucus to be expelled more easily. Actual horseradish is not the type from a squeeze bottle.
Hot water with lemon juice can also relieve a tight chest and loosen the mucus.

You should try and get rid of excessive mucus by spitting it out when you cough. This might not be the prettiest thing to do, but this is one way to get rid of the excessive mucus. I have never heard of any problems if you swallow it instead of spitting it out.

Conclusion

As you can see there are certain beverages and foods that can cause excessive mucus and also relieve excessive mucus. If you do get sick with the flu, cold, sinusitis problems or allergies, you should minimize the foods that cause mucus and eat more of the foods that relieve it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did not think you made it up!
I agree, there are foods that cause my throat to feel full and like I have to clear my throat a lot. Not real conducive to sleep.

I did not know about bananas, however. I do know about milk products as I do like a bowl of ice cream or a yogurt at night once in a while. I try to stay away from that in the evening.

Go for the chocolate cake, I say. LOL.

Oh wait -- no, don't do that. Choc cake has gluten, sugar, and caffeine. Triple whammy.

Sounds like chips and salsa would be a good evening snack; clear out those sinuses. LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
"man who eat chips & salsa in bed wake up feeling crummy"
Post Reply Post Reply
LOL. No, I don't eat in bed. LOL No crumbs in bed for me. Hopefully clear sinuses, however. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay Drink plenty of water to combat mucus problems. Hot water can be helpful as a drink to relieve congestion from mucus since it will work both locally focused and systemically. Low fat beef or chicken broth tastes better and will also work. Tea, hot chocolate and coffee should not be used.

None of that tastes as good as a banana split though.Banana
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll keep my mucus if I can have a banana split with whipped cream, cherries, hot fudge and hot caramel. But thanks for the information, learn something new everyday.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Banana splits are ok but prunes will give you a better run for your money.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes indeed Ready, I know that stuff all too well. ..........and that's precisely why I gave up yogurt.

Now then............ Where did I put that hot fudge sauce????????
Post Reply Post Reply
LOL too funny, you guys!! Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 65 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 525 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 281 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [split]Innisfree - Therapy Thread Innisfree 1 232 01-09-2024, 07:56 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Need help with Clear Airway Events. rizlah 11 872 09-12-2023, 01:30 AM
Last Post: rizlah
  [split] GoodSleepHunting Therapy Thrapy Thread GoodSleepHunting 3 439 09-08-2023, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [split] Wellue O2Ring Questions NelsonM 4 539 07-05-2023, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.