Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

anyone have a permanent cure
RE: anyone have a permanent cure
That's fine
here i thought being down 15lbs was great. I'm sorry that it didn't help, but thanks for the words about others
The good news is the pressure I use on my machine has decreased from 15 when I was first diagnosed to 6 - 12 with my pressure being at approx, 9 95% of the time.

Best of luck to you on your weight loss. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(05-29-2013, 07:26 PM)ataglieri Wrote: I'm not interested in the cpap rah, rah speeches. If cpap works for you, great! But I'm also not interested in being air-boarded for the rest of my life.

So, if you know of anything that leads to a permanent cure, then you'll have my attention. Already started taking off weight, but what's the tipping point? You don't have sleep apnea, you get old and gain weight, now you have it and it progressed from mild to severe. At what point in loosing weight does it start to reverse?

I am sorry to say (and here I am speaking as someone from the medical profession so I have the "inside scoop" so to speak) that at this time there is no real "cure" that is certain - losing weight is good start to reducing your apnoea, but there is no set "tipping point" since it depends on the severity of the apnoea, the exact cause of your particular type and the "trigger" for the apnoea.

I point out that weight loss is only effective in dealing with obstructive apnoea and not with central apnoea, which is neurological in nature.

Weight loss only completely reverses apnoea in only the most mild cases, as once the extra tissue or tissue laxity takes hold, there is only a mild effect from weight loss when not accompanied by other therapeutic techiniques. This is not to say that there is no need to lose weight - you should ALWAYS lose weight if you are above your ideal BMI. Maintaining a proper BMI not only promotes healthy breathing, but also a healthy heart and other organs.

Most surgical procedures to reverse apnoea are only half successful and often are a complete waste of time, since the record of success is relatively iffy. However surgery is recommended for some causes of apnoea, mostly those dealing with an elongated uvula or a misaligned jaw.

For most common types of apnoea, weight loss should be accompanied by didgeridoo playing. I know that sounds odd, but studies have shown it to correctly tone the throat tissue in ways that no other therapy does, and this can, with weight loss, revert or even halt apnoea altogether, but again I caution you that only in less severe cases does it have a high success rate. But doing the "doo" is a lot of fun and strangely emotionally therapeutic as well. Not that your neighbours will like it....
(05-29-2013, 07:26 PM)ataglieri Wrote: So, if you know of anything that leads to a permanent cure, then you'll have my attention.

If added weight is the cause then losing weight is the cure. It's likely, though, that added weight is not the cause. Either way, it doesn't matter. Lose weight while you're on CPAP therapy and see if it cures you.

Surgery can be a cure for some people, but it also has side effects that are far worse than those associated with CPAP therapy.

It remains a documented fact that CPAP therapy is by far the best treatment for obstructive sleep apnea.

The negative side effects associated with CPAP therapy tend to subside as the patient adapts to the therapy. At that point it just becomes as normal and natural a part of life as fastening a seat belt while driving a car.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Premature death from heart disease or stroke is a pretty common cure for obstructive apnea. If you want the cure, all you have to do is refrain from using CPAP.

I know that you don't want to hear it, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to say it; and, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true.

(05-29-2013, 07:39 PM)ataglieri Wrote: I fail to see how this is a religious or ideological battle of opinions. If you don't believe in a cure, good for you.
But that's not what i'm asking about. In all seriousness, do you think i'm all of a sudden say to myself, gee, master member tez62 just straightened me out! I'm a believer! PTL!! If you can't be helpful, no need to respond.

I like being 'helpful!' :grin: It is well documented that lack of sleep can make a person cranky. I can only diagnose you from your posts and I would say you need more sleep. Cpap therapy can help with that if you keep at it. It takes time. Don't give up.

Welcome to the cult of mouth breathers.
We don't have a secret handshake, we just flare our nostrils at each other. The larger the schnauzer the more respected you are in the hierarchy. I hope you're a fan of Cyrano de Bergerac cause years of cpap therapy is going to give you one hell of a honker.

"KINDLY: Ah, do you love the little birds
So much that when they come and sing to you,
You give them this to perch on?"

[Image: cyranodebergerac2.jpg]
(05-29-2013, 07:39 PM)ataglieri Wrote: I fail to see how this is a religious or ideological battle of opinions. If you don't believe in a cure, good for you.
But that's not what i'm asking about. In all seriousness, do you think i'm all of a sudden say to myself, gee, master member tez62 just straightened me out! I'm a believer! PTL!! If you can't be helpful, no need to respond.

And if you can't be civil, no need to start a thread here. We have several very kind, considerate and helpful folks here who offer their own opinions and experiences in hopes that sharing this information will be of help to you.

Your reply? You castigate them and insult them.

THREAD CLOSED.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 930 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  What my apnea cure looked like progman 7 198 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: SheShells23
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 400 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Theory of Permanent Damage to Brain / Fatigue cmpman1974 2 689 03-14-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Kuutar
  [Mod Note] Prevention rather than Cure ? - Thread Closed Micheal.M 37 2,715 06-28-2022, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Is the brain damage produced by Sleep Apnea over the years permanent? planetf1 11 2,114 04-01-2021, 07:51 PM
Last Post: RayBee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.