Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

apnea AND insomnia
apnea AND insomnia
I never went to the sleep clinic for apnea, I went for insomnia, but on the way they discovered the apnea. So I still had the insomnia, in my case, not being able to get to sleep.

If any of you have this problem I just want to say that the sleep restriction therapy is doing really well for me. I think I have been doing it 8 weeks or a little more and things are beginning to turn around. Please let me know if you want to know any more.

With the cpap machine and the therapy my sleep is being transformed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: apnea AND insomnia
(08-18-2015, 01:22 PM)kally Wrote: With the cpap machine and the therapy my sleep is being transformed.
Best of luck

I don't have an issue with insomnia but like to know something about ... "sleep restriction therapy"

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I have both, and I'd like to know more.

I found this. I've never heard of this before, and it's probably worth a try. Is this the therapy you are using?

http://www.sleepdex.org/restriction.htm
Post Reply Post Reply
That is pretty much it Jim Bronson.

I worked with a sleep psychiatrist (very lucky), but you can do it by yourself,or online.

It takes quite a bit of discipline, and it was hard in the beginning, but I am seeing some decent results.

The idea is that you cut back on the time in bed so that you go to bed late and get up early. The time in between is for sleeping.

There is a lot more to it than that, but I am finding it effective. PM if I can tell you more.
(08-18-2015, 11:24 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: I have both, and I'd like to know more.

I found this. I've never heard of this before, and it's probably worth a try. Is this the therapy you are using?

http://www.sleepdex.org/restriction.htm

Post Reply Post Reply
I had a sleep doctor try this with me and it wasn't a good plan for me BECAUSE it was hard for me to get the daily things done that I needed to be doing when I was only in bed for about 4 hours and only sleeping 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I could not function that way. It sounded like a good plan but I needed to have more time in bed and more time to sleep. I don't know if you would classify mine as insomnia like most people think insomnia is. I can go to sleep just fine but staying asleep is the issue.

Hope this works well for those starting out on this and continues to work well for those already doing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2015, 07:10 AM)me50 Wrote: I had a sleep doctor try this with me and it wasn't a good plan for me BECAUSE it was hard for me to get the daily things done that I needed to be doing when I was only in bed for about 4 hours and only sleeping 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I could not function that way. It sounded like a good plan but I needed to have more time in bed and more time to sleep. I don't know if you would classify mine as insomnia like most people think insomnia is. I can go to sleep just fine but staying asleep is the issue.

Hope this works well for those starting out on this and continues to work well for those already doing it.

I have the exact same problem Me. My new sleep doctor is having me keep sleep logs to sort out things as he feels I have several issues which I agree with.

Regarding sleep restriction, I have mysterious "narcoleptic" like issues even when I eat a very light dinner. I have also dozed off at ballgames. I am lucky if I can stay up until 10pm without falling asleep prematurely. Trying various methods to keep from this happening but so far, nothing has worked.

Maybe I should try watching a horror movie to see if that works. In case anyone was wondering, it wouldn't cause insomnia just so you know. Smile

Former sleep doc thought SRT would be a good thing to try. When i responded that I would fall asleep standing against the wall after eating dinner, she reconsidered her position.

I too wish everyone well who is trying to do this and I wish you well Kally. Glad you find it helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
New here! Just started CPAP last night! I too have insomnia, but doc thinks the CPAP will eventually relax me enough to fall asleep sooner. We shall see! I checked my first night's sleep "progress" online and it says I got a 99% and only had 1.7 "episodes" per hour - which isn't much at all! But when I had the test, I got 8.9 episodes per hour. Anyhow - I have the nasal pillows mask and my nose got a bit irritated from it -
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want check 'RobySue' blog "adventures-in-hosehead-land" about insomnia

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2015, 09:50 AM)Alexa Wrote: New here! Just started CPAP last night! I too have insomnia, but doc thinks the CPAP will eventually relax me enough to fall asleep sooner. We shall see! I checked my first night's sleep "progress" online and it says I got a 99% and only had 1.7 "episodes" per hour - which isn't much at all! But when I had the test, I got 8.9 episodes per hour. Anyhow - I have the nasal pillows mask and my nose got a bit irritated from it -
Hi Alexa,
Here's what you can do for the nose irritation. Get some HPA Lanolin, (found in the baby isle of most stores,) and put a very "little bit" on a cotton swav and gently rub it into your nostriles and see if that helps you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2015, 01:22 PM)kally Wrote: I never went to the sleep clinic for apnea, I went for insomnia, but on the way they discovered the apnea. So I still had the insomnia, in my case, not being able to get to sleep.

If any of you have this problem I just want to say that the sleep restriction therapy is doing really well for me. I think I have been doing it 8 weeks or a little more and things are beginning to turn around. Please let me know if you want to know any more.

With the cpap machine and the therapy my sleep is being transformed.

Way to go, kally. I'm in the same boat with both apnea and insomnia. The CPAP certainly does help. I also find waiting until I'm dog tired before going to bed helps with the insomnia. So does Melatonin which is over the counter.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad Insomnia r4robin 5 216 03-25-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 299 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 607 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  CPAP causing insomnia, hoping for some help starsknight 3 780 03-03-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Insomnia Slumberseeker 4 644 08-29-2022, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Slumberseeker

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.