Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

apnea and Life insurance
apnea and Life insurance
I recently got a life insurance. They asked me about sleep apnea and because of that gave me a lower rating (one lower) than best. However, the company said if I get any medical condition treated then they will lower the premium.

Any of you have had this? Have you gotten recertified later on and been able to lower the premiums

A key takeaway I took was to have my spouse get life ins before she goes for any sleep tests :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: apnea and Life insurance
(05-25-2014, 06:16 PM)roym Wrote: I recently got a life insurance. They asked me about sleep apnea and because of that gave me a lower rating (one lower) than best. However, the company said if I get any medical condition treated then they will lower the premium.

Any of you have had this? Have you gotten recertified later on and been able to lower the premiums

A key takeaway I took was to have my spouse get life ins before she goes for any sleep tests :-)

Hi roym,

Yes, statistically speaking, untreated Obstructive Sleep Apnea has a huge effect on life expectancy, so of course the insurance companies take that into account when determining the cost of insurance. And it would be fraudulent and would likely void the contract if we were to illegally misrepresent anything on an application for life insurance.

Sounds like if you get your doctor to state in writing that your OSA is being adequately treated your life insurance premiums will be lowered.

If you did this, I would expect a large difference in price. How much of a difference will it make in your case, percentage-wise?

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2014, 06:16 PM)roym Wrote: I recently got a life insurance. They asked me about sleep apnea and because of that gave me a lower rating (one lower) than best. However, the company said if I get any medical condition treated then they will lower the premium.

Yep. Just watch out for "pre-existing condition" clauses. Nah, they wouldn't do that..........
Post Reply Post Reply
Be careful as if you are contemplating your wife having a sleep test because you think there may be a problem and do not disclose this, it can be as bad as non disclosure of a known condition. Also (in Australia) until you have completed the underwriting process and have the policy documents issued, you continue to be bound by disclosure requirements, check what the situation is where you live, YMMV. Some claimable conditions may also be precluded from claim for a set period of time from inception of the contract, again read the fine print, YMMV.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Vaughn
The price difference is about 12%

(05-25-2014, 07:13 PM)vsheline Wrote:

Hi roym,

Yes, statistically speaking, untreated Obstructive Sleep Apnea has a huge effect on life expectancy, so of course the insurance companies take that into account when determining the cost of insurance. And it would be fraudulent and would likely void the contract if we were to illegally misrepresent anything on an application for life insurance.

Sounds like if you get your doctor to state in writing that your OSA is being adequately treated your life insurance premiums will be lowered.

If you did this, I would expect a large difference in price. How much of a difference will it make in your case, percentage-wise?

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about insurance requirement to see doctor within 90 days NewlyDiagnosed 9 205 04-10-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 766 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,664 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 451 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 313 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,286 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 331 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.