Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

apnea and anxiety
RE: apnea and anxiety
I suspect I was the same, and blamed apnea on living a life of excess/poor sleep patterns/worklife stuffs.
Stomach sleeping was where I got my best sleep, and back was worst apneas so unconsciously I learnt to sleep on my stomach.

Just got a wheat pack, apparently laying one across your stomach helps the sub concious and comfort side relax while your on your back as the feeling is close.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi shakes,
I'm sure I've had sleep apnea at least 5 to 6 years before diagnosed. I could only sleep on my side, if I tried to sleep on my back, I felt like I couldn't breath, so would roll back to one side or the other.

Now, on CPAP for 8 months, and wow, I can sleep on my back for short periods of time. I still prefer side sleeping, but have hip and shoulder pain, so then I roll over and park myself on my back without realizing it and fall asleep.

My AHI goes up a tiny bit while on my back, but having an Auto machine helps. That's what it does best, adjust the pressure as needed during the night. You pay a bit more, but isn't your sleep quality worth it?

If I stay on my side all night, AHI is always around .7 or under.
If I find that I have been on my back, my AHI is usually at 1.2 to 1.7.

I don't mind the rise in AHI, because it is still very low, and my comfort comes first!

So, don't dismiss the auto machine. If your want to use it at a straight pressure, you can. But you can't change a straight CPAP machine back to Auto.
Sleep-well

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Haven't dismissed it eyes are very wide open to all options...

I'm finding the fixed disturbs me less during the night.

7.2hours last night and 0.7ahi!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2015, 03:07 PM)shakes Wrote: Haven't dismissed it eyes are very wide open to all options...

I'm finding the fixed disturbs me less during the night.

7.2hours last night and 0.7ahi!

Yes, it's true that some folk are bothered by the changing pressures of an APAP, but you don't know what your future needs will me. So again, you can set an APAP to CPAP mode and use it as such. Then if your needs change, instead of going for another sleep test, you can actually titrate yourself on an APAP if pressure changes are needed.
By the way, your AHI is very good. Best of luck in whatever you decide. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Anxiety/elevated HR at beginning of night Jskier 1 213 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Extreme Anxiety during day after CPAP usage...something physiological? gohoos1998 9 718 12-29-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Leedsunited92
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 403 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  Mask anxiety is making me desperate - any help appreciated! Tropicalhammock777 9 723 11-14-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  More tired, more irritability/anxiety after cpap use Itsmedood 3 605 11-13-2023, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Itsmedood

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.