Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

apnea and nightmares
apnea and nightmares
hello. I had apnea symtoms for years.
However since I algo have a mental condition and have medication they didnt let me go to the sleep unit.
I felt something was weir and scary.
I could not take my son to the school bus.
I felt i was dying.
After 2 or 3 years I went to the sleep unit where they saw I had severe apnea and gave me a cpap without study and set 6 pressure.
this was one year ago.
I improved in some ways but not in others.
I have continual dreams and nightmares toa point you cant live with it.
Ithas not changed with the bipap and more pressure.
Can the apnea be the cause of this? i use a nasal mask.
Something is not working. Doctors dont help me they say there is not cause for the continual dreaming and nightmares.
someone has an idea ???
thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: apnea and nightmares
I dream from time to time, but CPAP/sleep apnoea is not the cause of it. 

It has taken me years to figure out what triggers the dreams ( no nightmares for me generally, though there are sometimes very X rated ones.  Eat-popcorn I'm sometimes disappointed when the alarm goes off halfway through those dreams.  Whistle )

What I have found is that certain foods trigger it for me, it must create some sort of chemical imbalance in the brain I suspect. 

Tasty cheese eaten after mid afternoon is a big trigger for me, and I'm still trying to work out what some of the others are as well, ice cream with caramel topping seems to be a no-no as well.. but only a very mild reaction from it, the dreams after ice cream are far less vivid than those caused by tasty cheese.
Swiss cheese and Jarlsberg cheese has no effect at all when it comes to dreams though.  Dont-know

I would be looking at food and medication as possible causes... CPAP is very important to your overall health if you suffer from apnoea, best to keep on with it I would think.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am 47 years old and I had a normal dream and night sleep up to when I think apnea began.
I dont think food can trigger abnormal dreams.
I am talking about a continual like brain activity ( I have had brain scanners and everything is normal)

It is true I have a big problem.

I have apnea but also another condition (squizophrenia). It is terrible having both. I think it was the medicatioin that caused the apnea.

But my doctors  say the meds i have, not very high, cannot cause this brain activity,...it is as if I were thinking all night long, like the freddy kruggers dreams...

I am starting to think it is the apnea what causes it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2018, 05:16 AM)Ockrocket Wrote: I dream from time to time, but CPAP/sleep apnoea is not the cause of it. 

It has taken me years to figure out what triggers the dreams ( no nightmares for me generally, though there are sometimes very X rated ones.  Eat-popcorn I'm sometimes disappointed when the alarm goes off halfway through those dreams.  Whistle )

What I have found is that certain foods trigger it for me, it must create some sort of chemical imbalance in the brain I suspect. 

Tasty cheese eaten after mid afternoon is a big trigger for me, and I'm still trying to work out what some of the others are as well, ice cream with caramel topping seems to be a no-no as well.. but only a very mild reaction from it, the dreams after ice cream are far less vivid than those caused by tasty cheese.
Swiss cheese and Jarlsberg cheese has no effect at all when it comes to dreams though.  Dont-know

I would be looking at food and medication as possible causes... CPAP is very important to your overall health if you suffer from apnoea, best to keep on with it I would think.

So did you figure out what food causes the x rated dreams? Think of the commercials you could make with that.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I think CPAP has reduced my nightmares.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2018, 11:39 AM)Ron AKA Wrote: FWIW I think CPAP has reduced my nightmares.
This.

It has increased my dreaming, and extremely vividly, but no nightmares.

Before getting on CPAP, I would have horrible nightmares about being trapped, or confined, or constricted and unable to breath.
It's to the point that it created a case of claustrophobia... where I feel uneasy when I see a video of a person crawling into a confined space, and even thinking back to some situations I was in when scuba diving in wrecks and caverns, getting the shudders.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2018, 05:30 AM)Eleonoro Wrote: I am 47 years old and I had a normal dream and night sleep up to when I think apnea began.
I dont think food can trigger abnormal dreams.
I am talking about a continual like brain activity ( I have had brain scanners and everything is normal)

It is true I have a big problem.

I have apnea but also another condition (squizophrenia). It is terrible having both. I think it was the medicatioin that caused the apnea.

But my doctors  say the meds i have, not very high, cannot cause this brain activity,...it is as if I were thinking all night long, like the freddy kruggers dreams...

I am starting to think it is the apnea what causes it.
Hi Eleonoro,
Have you been able to look at the data that your machine is collecting each night you use it?
If the settings on your machine are optimized you should not be having a lot of obstructive apneas. It should help you know whether your OSA is causing some of your bad dreams. If the data tells you that you didn't have many events, but you still had bad dreams, it is unlikely that your sleep apnea is causing it.
You could try posting some of your data that has been imported into Sleepyhead. There are some members here that can help you optimize your settings on your machine.
For what it's worth, I sometimes have troubling dreams and I awake with my heart pounding. I believe that they are happening when I am having an obstructive apnea. They don't happen very often so I don't worry about them.
Best of luck on your CPAP journey.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello! I see we have about the same ahis, same machine (i have resmed 10 autoset).
i dont have the sleepy head program and dont know how to get it. Here they hate you seeing things. we got to see the ahis by pressing at the same time in the 2 cpap buttoms and that is about everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2018, 09:17 AM)Eleonoro Wrote: Hello! I see we have about the same ahis, same machine (i have resmed 10 autoset).
i dont have the sleepy head program and dont know how to get it. Here they hate you seeing things. we got to see the ahis by pressing at the same time in the 2 cpap buttoms and that is about everything.

See the Helpful Links list in the signature area of my post for help on downloading SleepyHead, extracting the data from your A10, and producing JPEG images which can be displayed here for comments. Pay close attention to the part about optimizing the layout so the right info is displayed in the screen capture. Don't forget to maximize SleepyHead to full screen so you can fit as much on as possible. If you have any questions, just ask.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are links for downloading Sleepyhead in the signatures of many forum members (some on this very page), and also at the top of each page of this forum.

I thought it was well known that various foods can cause dreams, at least it seems to be common knowledge here in the US.

I think as far as sleep apnea goes, that many people say they do not remember their dreams until they start with cpap. This was true in my case. I normally remembered dreams, but had not done so for several years before being diagnosed with sleep apnea. Now I dream again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,392 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Obstructive sleep apnea – My Nightmares are bad. Pirate Bob 11 1,343 02-14-2022, 03:57 AM
Last Post: Pirate Bob
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,584 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Nightmares Chalkie 5 754 08-04-2021, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,850 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.