Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

apnea continues after titration and new pressure
apnea continues after titration and new pressure
A little over a month ago, I had a new sleep study as requested by the pulmonologist, since his raising my pressure a couple cm didn't eliminate the moderate apnea. The titration results showed that going from the previous 10 cm up to 13 brought the AHI down to zero (at least for a short while during that sleep study). So, my pressure was increased to 13.
The problem that has reared its ugly head is that after the recent titration and resulting pressure reset, there has been only one night of under 5 AHI (and that was a 4)! All other nights my AHI is in the high teens or low-to-mid 20s with a much higher spiking AHI on one or two nights.
The earlier mask leak problems have been resolved, and I now have had close to two weeks with leaking well under control on a nightly basis, yet the AHI continues in the 20s nightly.
Has anyone else experienced this situation?
I feel the recent titration was a waste of time and money, leaving me right where I started.
Now I'm thinking about making some selected SH printouts to take with me to an upcoming follow up appointment with the doc. I feel this appt. is an important one and don't want to misuse the few mins. I'll have with him. And of course, I'm hoping he has some magical solution (or wish I could believe that).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: apnea continues after titration and new pressure
Hi Dawei
Usually i take the laptop with me for the doctor to check the download.
I would suggest to download ResScan just in case your doctor isn't familiar with SH.
May be ask the doctor for a trial on the AutoSet.
Best of luck with the follow up appointment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dawei,

Check out this page: How to find the optimum pressure on your constant-pressure CPAP machine

The truth is that getting an optimum single CPAP pressure setting in a noisy, busy, unfamiliar sleep lab "bedroom" is problematic sometimes, simply because it's a terrible environment to get a good night's sleep with wires attached to every conceivable point on your body and the knowledge that you're "being watched" by a lab tech.

My first guess would be that the higher pressure might be wrong. Have you looked at SleepyHead to see if you're getting more CSA (central sleeep apnea or clear airway events)?.... if those increased with the higher pressure, you might try lowering it a bit.

If you have reason to believe that the new titration is not accurate, the best possible scenario would be to obtain an APAP. Certainly another expensive night in a sleep lab isn't going to solve the problem, assuming you can't get "normal sleep" there; plus you can get a brand new fully data-capable APAP (ResMed S9 Autoset or PR System One REMstar Auto) for less than the cost of most overnight sleep studies.

See here for benefits of auto-CPAPs:

http://www.apneaboard.com/APAP.htm

Now, if you can't get an APAP, then using your own scientific and logical methods, (slowly in small increments over time, noting your AHI every night after each small adjustment in pressure)... might actually work better for you than heading back to the lab.

As always, consult with your doc first, they might even agree that there's no harm in trying to make small adjustments on pressure to see the effect.

If you need the Clinician Setup Manual for your machine to change pressure settings, go here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/CPAP%20Adjustment.htm

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your thoughts, Zonk! I'm thinking that your idea of having my SD card's info printed in the ResMed software's format may help the doc quickly understand what's been going on with me.
I'll see if I can find somewhere on the forum where one can download the ResMed software (haven't yet begun to look).
P.S. For myself, I'm quite happy with Sleepy Head. Although I'm still learning more about understanding its info, I have figured out a good portion thus far and like the way it's set up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate your helpful advice and info, Super. I don't think Central is a problem for me. I've been seeing either 0.0, or 0.1 or 0.2 for the past couple weeks when mask leak has been under control. Even earlier, I don't recall a Central (Clear airway) number above 1.2.
I can see that APAP may be the way for me to go, but my understanding is that this decision (along with pressure changes) is up to the doc. I plan to suggest the idea of APAP to him if he doesn't mention it himself.
P.S. Although this forum has supplied me with info on how to change the pressure of my S9 Elite, I have resisted the urge to do so, since I don't want to alienate the docs who my DME tell me must write a Rx for the DME to change pressure settings. Guess it's my desire to remain a "compliant" patient.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResScan download link starts HERE.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
I presented the doc with printouts from my SD card via ResScan software (thanks to this board). To the question of why the recent titration found an AHI of zero at 13cm, yet since then my AHI has been averaging 20.4 with four nights over 30 during the past 18 nights (with no Mask leak problems), he had no answer.
So, I suggested the idea of an Autoset, and he agreed, writing a script for me to use one for a month and bring him readouts from the AutoSet. Guess I can't "buy" the AutoSet since I recently got an S9 Elite and ins. won't go for another machine.
Hopefully the AutoSet will discover the correct pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2012, 11:44 AM)Dawei Wrote: I presented the doc with printouts from my SD card via ResScan software (thanks to this board). To the question of why the recent titration found an AHI of zero at 13cm, yet since then my AHI has been averaging 20.4 with four nights over 30 during the past 18 nights (with no Mask leak problems), he had no answer.
So, I suggested the idea of an Autoset, and he agreed, writing a script for me to use one for a month and bring him readouts from the AutoSet. Guess I can't "buy" the AutoSet since I recently got an S9 Elite and ins. won't go for another machine.
Hopefully the AutoSet will discover the correct pressure.

i was in the same boat not being able to get the auto machine thru insurance. alot of people here swear by the resmed's and that's their right. i went to supplier 6 and bought the pr system one automatic w/ a-flex which does similar things as well as resmed for a real nice affordable price that i paid out of pocket. you won't find a better price on it new anywhere. if you're interested pm me and i'll send you the exact link to what i bought. if you want it have the doc write for a-flex because the system one comes in different configurations.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
This is how I started testing. I am still creeping my pressure up slowly with my resmed S8 Autospirit II. I splashed out on the cards and data readers, grabbed the software and am now slowly getting it right, My AHI which was all over the place and as high as 16 is now down around the 2 to 3 and my pressure is around 10cm, Im still hoping to get it down a little more
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are running a datalogging XPAP, collecting all the data to analyze with ResScan/Sleephead etc. That is marvelous.
However...you are not getting the whole picture yet.

What is it we are fighting so hard for here with all this work and fancy equipment?

Oxygen saturation numbers...

It doesn't matter what numbers your air flow / AHI stats come up with, if your O2 is still going into desats you need to KNOW this so you can ACT on it promptly.

Getting a wearable logging pulse oximeter is cheap insurance if you ask me. It is an important cross check on how well your XPAP therapy is working (or isnt)
What if your XPAP is drifting out of calibration? You'll never know it without daily O2 numbers as well!
Maybe the XPAP needs to go in for a service check and adjustment?

I am also using a digital manometer to see what pressure I am actually getting out of a given machine/mask system.
The XPAP may be set for 12 cm of H2O...but are you really getting that? What if you change to a mask with a different calibrated leak or a longer hose? (exhaust has more or fewer holes drilled in it) Is your machine compensating for each different system change...or not?

So, daily O2 saturation monitoring and a periodic pressure check with a good manometer
just might help keep you alive.

Think about it.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 79 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 618 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 171 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Just bought a second hand bilevel, hoping for some help with titration? JohnnyLarueBathrobe 8 282 03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 230 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  [Pressure] BiPAP Titration Help - I:E Ratio becomes 1:5 havishem 1 225 02-17-2024, 09:46 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.