Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

auto sense question
auto sense question
I've been [adjusting] to cpap for two weeks with an initial AHI of 53. I'm so glad I found this board- thanks to all! I have an airsense 10 set from 6-20. As I understand it, the machine will sense how much pressure I need and adjust accordingly (up to 20). So the lower (minimum) value is really for patient comfort? It was at 4 and I felt I was struggling for breath; 6 is comfortable and I went down to 13-20 events per hour (many of them being centrals); but my clinician just changed the range to 11-20, without me asking for any adjustment. That would just seem to increase my centrals, no? Is there some reason for doing this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: auto sense question
Are you having centrals ?

Just a guess but maybe the doc ordered the change after viewing your change and improvement.

Are you comfortable with the change ? Has it made more improvement ?

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
It would also help to post a little data to give us some insight into why the doc may have made the change!

See the menu above for links to download sleepyhead.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the response! Not comfortable at all! I have claustrophobia and difficulty adjusting to cpap. I've had 4 or 5 episodes of sudden waking and feeling like someone put a bag over my head with full on panic attack. I think these are centrals? So I felt like I was starting to adjust with pressure 6-20 and then two nights a ago noticed some difficulty getting to sleep and then woke up 56  mins later with panic attack.    I looked and pressure was changed to 11-20. MyAir says 33 events in that time. I just ordered sd card     And downloaded sleepyhead so I can get better data.

I just downloaded sleepyhead and ordered an sd card (my machine has modem and no card). But I Don't understand any reason to raise minimum pressure on an auto adjusting machine? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lionel, important question here. Are you using EPR?

Also, before the change in pressure, what was your median pressure? Once you have 4 posts you can attach or link a #Sleepyhead chart. I think it might help if we took a look. Call your doctor and explain what happened, and how it makes you feel. I think you need to get switched back to the lower pressure ASAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, 
Thanks! EPR is turned on. I Don't know mean pressure. I just got an sd card today and I'll start collecting my own data tonight. Drs office adjusted pressure back to 6-20. I'm guessing mean was about 11 and so they set the min at 11 to see if they could replace my apap with cpap, does that seem plausible? My doctors office is very poor on communication.  If I'm having a high number of centrals, from what I've read, I need a machine like the one you have, yes?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lionel197,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2017, 12:57 PM)lionel197 Wrote: Sleeprider, 
Thanks! EPR is turned on. I Don't know mean pressure. I just got an sd card today and I'll start collecting my own data tonight. Drs office adjusted pressure back to 6-20. I'm guessing mean was about 11 and so they set the min at 11 to see if they could replace my apap with cpap, does that seem plausible? My doctors office is very poor on communication.  If I'm having a high number of centrals, from what I've read, I need a machine like the one you have, yes?

Do me a favor and turn off EPR so we can compare comfort and AHI results with and without EPR.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2017, 10:15 AM)lionel197 Wrote: Thanks for the response! Not comfortable at all! I have claustrophobia and difficulty adjusting to cpap. I've had 4 or 5 episodes of sudden waking and feeling like someone put a bag over my head with full on panic attack. I think these are centrals? So I felt like I was starting to adjust with pressure 6-20 and then two nights a ago noticed some difficulty getting to sleep and then woke up 56  mins later with panic attack.    I looked and pressure was changed to 11-20. MyAir says 33 events in that time. I just ordered sd card     And downloaded sleepyhead so I can get better data.

I just downloaded sleepyhead and ordered an sd card (my machine has modem and no card). But I Don't understand any reason to raise minimum pressure on an auto adjusting machine? Thanks.

A suggestion, use your APAP while watching TV or reading just to get used to it.  It should, over time, help with your "panic" attacks.

and post your data tomorrow please.  (add a space to the url if you need to,  "http: xxxxxxx.xxx"
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all so far. Great instructions on downloading, installing and preparing sleepyhead charts. This is my 4th post, so I'll post my first data next.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 575 5 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,333 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 353 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 426 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  [Treatment] Three days using Soft Cervical Collar, AHI 6.73, 4.81, 22.28; makes sense? Aldiorg 9 905 11-15-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Air Sense 10 SD card LED flashing red BNelson 2 590 10-12-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: BNelson

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.