Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up w/ empty humidifier
RE: Waking up w/ empty humidifier
I've been trying out different masks lately, well pretty much every since I started on the CPAP train. I started with the F&P Pillairo, it was what I was first mask issued with the machine and was not comfortable, or so I thought. I then went to the Swift FX and I was having some problems with a sore nose in the morning. This last week I've been trying out full face masks. I tried the Respironics Amara mask one (partial) night but it was not comfortable and leaked big time. I then switched to the F&P SimPlus for a couple of nights. It worked fairly well but still leaked a fair amount and decided to give the Respironics Amara mask another try. The SimPlus seemed to work better when tightened down and I thought this might have been the problem with the Amara. The last two nights I've been using the Respironics Amara mask and it is not sealing up at all and I've been having hugh leak rates. I have a beard and moustache and it's not helping with the sealing issues. The last two night, with the high leak rates and the cold (for us) and dry weather, the humidifier tank has been bone dry in the morning. I'm guessing the higher flow with the high leak rate is going through the water faster then normal. Previously, with the nasal pillows, I've ended up with 1/2 to 3/4 of the water remaining in the humidifier tank in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2013, 03:28 PM)drgrimes Wrote: XXL would you please tell me where/how you change the humidity to manual and gain control over temperature? I asked that question in another thread, but did not get the answer how to change it mayself.
[Image: s9-pic2.jpg]

You have the option to set "Climate Control" on Patient/Manual/Auto in the Clinical menu (Options) as shown above

Patient: display Auto/Manual (only if climate line is connected) in "patient setup menu"
Auto: You can adjust air temperature to preference 16-30C (61-86F)
Manual: You can set humidity level (0-6) and air temperature 16-30C (61-86F) separately

Climate control only applicable if climate line (heated hose) is connected otherwise only humidity level (1-6) is displayed if using slim line (non-heated hose) or standard hose

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2013, 03:28 PM)drgrimes Wrote: XXL would you please tell me where/how you change the humidity to manual and gain control over temperature? I asked that question in another thread, but did not get the answer how to change it mayself.

It is in the clinician menu. Do you have the manual?

You can change the climate line hose setting to auto (where it is just the temp setting) or manual (where it is the temp and the number).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm exhausted and to me, it doesn't feel like "9 whole hours." My functioning on 9 hours is still pretty poor. I think that the sleep apnea makes my sleep quality so poor that it's almost like I'm not sleeping. I wake up a lot but never have a problem going back to sleep.

CPAP seems to have cured my obstructive sleep "hypopnea" (don't have actual apnea when I'm off of cpap, just hypopneas) but in it's place, I"m now having central apneas. On some nights and some parts of the remaining nights, my AHI is over 100. That's even higher than it was before I ever got the cpap. Very frustrating.

Anyways... I hope your seven hours are at least seven quality hours.

(11-27-2013, 08:02 AM)DocWils Wrote: Dunno for Resmed machines, but if you use a full tank, there is enough water in a Philips tank for nine hours - I half fill mine, run it on four and sleep around six hours and there is still a bit of water in it when I get up - maybe play with your humidifier levels (and how can you sleep nine whole hours? I'm lucky if I can keep my head down for seven when I have a lie-in)

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2013, 09:22 PM)sir_sleeps_alot Wrote: CPAP seems to have cured my obstructive sleep "hypopnea" (don't have actual apnea when I'm off of cpap, just hypopneas) but in it's place, I"m now having central apneas.
Followup with your sleep doctor, S9 AutoSet does not offer treatment to central apnea

Post Reply Post Reply
I am still in my first thirty days of cpap use. When I expressed my concern to the respiratory therapist, she said I needed to give it a chance. So I'm giving it a chance... I'm hoping my body adjusts and things improve.

I have no idea how long of a chance I am supposed to give it but will ask on Friday when I see the RT. I am hoping they will set me up with a new mask as the one(s) I'm using now have left sores on my nose (the bridge and the part that separates the two nostrils).

Aside from the centrals and the sores, I'm doing great!

(11-27-2013, 09:31 PM)zonk Wrote: Followup with your sleep doctor, S9 AutoSet does not offer treatment to central apnea

Post Reply Post Reply
When I'm off work I average about 9 hours a night on my machine. Everybody's different. Some of us need, want, or just plain get, more sleep than others.

I agree that the best way to keep your humidifier tank from running dry is to humidify the entire bedroom. Other options are to turn the humidifier down some, refill during the night, or rig up a bigger water tank.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sir when I experienced low OA but lots of HA and CA, I was sent in for a new titration study and switch from my S9 Autoset to a Phillips ASV auto machine. Now I have 0 OA maybe 1 or 2 CA, but still have a bunch of HA events. But my AHI stays below 3.0.
You need to stand up and yell for a new titration and an ASV machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 108 3 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 399 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 260 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.