Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

bathrom breaks?
RE: bathrom breaks?
I sometimes have to hit the head in the early AM hours. I hit the stop button; and just disconnect the hose at the mask. Leaving the mask on.
I don't use the ramp; so, I reconnect; and am back at therapy pressure quickly.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
If you don't shut off the machine for the potty break your data will be screwed up and worthless. I have my machine set so I turn it off when I get up and restart it simply putting the mask back on and breathing into it. Because I always get up a couple of times a night I don't use the ramp feature which is easy because my pressure is only set at 6.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the ramp when I first go to bed (15 minutes) finds it helps me drift off. If I get up during the night, I turn it off and then back on without ramp when I go back to bed. The only problem is that darn test beep when I turn it back on. It can wake the dead. Now, if I could shut it off....

Post Reply Post Reply
The first night I used CPAP, I had the ramp set to the absolute max (45 mins), figured I would need it. The next night, I turned it off and haven't looked back. I'm not on a super high pressure and I'm on BiPAP so I find it really doesn't bother me too much.

As for turning it on and off, I just disconnect the hose. My data looks fine, both by the numbers and looking at the graphs (though obviously there is a small gap when it is not connected).
Post Reply Post Reply
Once when I got it off, I left it running and the other time I stopped it. And I think the first time, I pulled the whole mask off and the second time, I just disconnected the hose. Sounds like the ideal thing to do would be for me to just d/c the hose and hit the stop button. Guess I will do that tonight, if I remember. Smile

As far as the ramp goes, I have a 5 minute ramp set but will most likely turn it off for tonight. It feels like I'm barely getting enough air the first 4.5 minutes and as soon as it hits that last 30 seconds, it's like someone has shoved a jet engine down my throat. I didn't have a problem falling asleep with the jet engine so I'm assuming I'll be fine without those first 4.5 minutes of near suffocation.

Thanks for the input.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to leave CPAP machine running when on loo breaks during the night. Seems most turn their machines off during breaks. Looks like I'll be turning mine off during loo breaks.
I'm not a Doctor but a fan of The Doctor. any views,comments etc are my own

Post Reply Post Reply
I turn it off since it's noisy and I don't want to wake up the husband.
Post Reply Post Reply
With my old Cpap machine which was not data capable, I just left it running. I have been using a new Apap machine for about a week and I am turning it off before getting up because if I leave it running it will get very loud trying to up the pressure. I am not sure if leaving the Apap running would screw up readings.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, it would not. It would show a big leak. The newer machines can detect if the machine is being "used" vs just being turned on. This keeps folks honest in their compliance hours.

When you look at the data, you can easily find where you got up and left the machine running.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2013, 11:45 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: No, it would not. It would show a big leak. The newer machines can detect if the machine is being "used" vs just being turned on. This keeps folks honest in their compliance hours.

When you look at the data, you can easily find where you got up and left the machine running.

That is interesting. Are the machines capable of differentiating between use during sleep vs. non-sleep? I wondered that last night after lying awake for 2 hours (with the machine on). Sad I am not adjusting well to my new APAP machine and it is taking all of my strength to not haul out my old "brick" CPAP machine instead.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happens if your machine breaks? speed3914 31 4,511 05-24-2018, 01:55 AM
Last Post: Homeskillet
Question Help, why so many breaks in treatment each night? KatyDid 2 1,265 11-13-2017, 10:49 PM
Last Post: KatyDid
  [Equipment] same part breaks on Philips Wisp frame okieman 14 5,012 02-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Last Post: okieman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.