Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

belly boy needs yap mask
belly boy needs yap mask
Hi guys. New here and second week cpap trial with Medigas DME, Respironics Remaster A-Flex with System One humidifier. I'm also using a Resmed Swift FX medium that fits perfectly and I love. I can sleep on me belly with it. I hardly feel air coming through, mask is quiet as a mouse and leaks are minimal.

I'd like to have as close to the same mask experience as possible with either a yap mask or full face bugger. Me tummy is the only thing I can sleep on unless I'm passed out or knocked out. The former happens once in a while. The later should happen more often if my wife were to cut on this post.

To cut tho the chase, I'm interested in what mouth or full mask works for medium-sized belly sleepers. After the trial, and if Pacific Blue Cross approves, I'll be switching to a Resmed S9 Autoset with humidifier and heated hose.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: belly boy needs yap mask
Not sure you're going to find a FFM that will work sleeping on your stomach. Since they cover so much space on the face, they are on the cheek more than other masks. You could maybe sleep on your stomach with her face on the edge of the pillow and the mask hanging off. That's how a lot of side sleepers do it.

A lot of users here use the Resmed Quattro or one of its variations. A few use the hybrid Liberty.

Oral only mask, there's one called the Oracle I think.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Whatever mask you use, figure out where the exhaust vent is. It will be where a steady stream of air leaks out of the mask.

You need to not block the exhaust vent when sleeping on your stomach. If you block it completely, you'll be rebreathing your own exhaled air. You'll either die or wake up enough to move and uncover the vent holes.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Acroflyer, WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope you are able to switch to the machine you really want and best of luck on finding just the right mask for you as that can be the hardest part of the CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your suggestions, wishes and welcome folks. I'm glad you took my humor in stride. Stomach sleeping works well because I sleep on the edge of my pillow. However, I'll probably purchase a cpap pillow because I'll need more height off the mattress to accomodate the vent and move from side to side more easily with a FFM. Yes, I sometimes sleep on my side but usually end up on my belly. Thus, I'm also open to suggestions regarding a pillow and where to purchase it. I'm open to experiences of stomach sleepers. What works for you; what doesn't.

Cheers,
Barry Cameron
Victoria, BC Canada
Post Reply Post Reply
maybe something like this ... customize foam pillow
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT15yjCf-fHe_Bs7dCZws7...mprqUf0skS]
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh. That's looks horribly uncomfortable. Put a towel under to catch the drool!
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a stomach sleeper and use the Papillow. Any online supplier should have it.

If you're using a nasal pillow mask now, why do you want to switch to a full face mask? And if you do want to switch, have you considered a hybrid mask?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2012, 09:59 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I'm a stomach sleeper and use the Papillow. Any online supplier should have it.

If you're using a nasal pillow mask now, why do you want to switch to a full face mask? And if you do want to switch, have you considered a hybrid mask?

Glad to hear I'm in good company Sleepster. I read about the papillow (if you're referring to the original one designed by two online cpap users), found their website and I'm ready to purchase it. The shopping cart didn't display when I last visited. The site is ok now.

I'm an occasional droller so I'm thinking the Easy Care might be a wise choice. Would you agree or do you think the Double Edge with pillow case woould be a better choice?

I'm wanting either a FFM or mouth mask because I have pollen allergies and I'm more suseptable than average to nasal blockage. Thus, I expect to use the Swift FX most of the time and the other when needed. I'm researching hybrids and feel like a babe in the woods because I don't know how to choose one based on what I see and how it's described by the manufacturer and users.

Fortunately, I appear to only need a pressure between 5 and 6 to keep my airway open and my facial features are not unusual. Perhaps I'll get a good fit with most masks. If that is the case, can you recommend a mask that's likely more comfortable?

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my queries and hope that my queries and your reply benefits others.

Cheers,
Barry
Post Reply Post Reply
Some of us, me included, have no problems using nasal masks during allergies. I actually sleep well at night but as soon as I wake up, about a minute or less later, clogged instantly. Sometimes, I just give up and sleep all day!

The only problems I have had is when the clear nasal drainage (gross) runs into my nasal pillows. I wash them exceptionally well during this!

I am also fond of the nasal rinses.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,208 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,748 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,831 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,528 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.