Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

best high pressure mask for no leaks
RE: best high pressure mask for no leaks
Well that’s sounding better than it was. Congrats. When you’re able, post data with use on that new mask. Let’s see how it’s going and if tweaks are needed. Let us know how you feel.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2019, 02:47 PM)dragoneye Wrote: No one cared for me either....the Doctor, Lincare, or anyone else. Thanks to you folks, I have a brand new Resmed Airfit F20 and my numbers are .2 events per hour

I'm so glad to see your post!
You and I are in good hands here. Though I've been compliant for over 30 years, I have so much to learn.

The system "blows" here in Canada. Treatment under the system isn't about health or sleep quality

However, the people here really, really make a difference.

Congratulations on the good numbers! I wish the F20 had worked for me; I'm sometimes a mouth breather, and I'd like to have a full face mask I can use. The F20 leaked when I tried it for a week; numbers were bad. I use an N20 and have recently improved treatment by going to a narrower width. I had to tell my DME I had leakage (OSCAR works!) and use the fit-gauge myself.

Sleep-well
DaveL
Toronto
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the Amara View now for two years with IPAP 21.6 and EPAP 16. Started with a small, then medium, finally a large and that was the right one. I use a soft cervical collar and suction my tongue to the roof of my mouth. My AHI is usually under 1 and that's with 8, 9, 10 hours of sleep a night (long sleeper). Now I do get leaks, but it's usually the sleep/junk of waking up. 

Are you Regularly washing the cushion? A few drops of Dawn and very hot water, brushed with a soft brush like an old toothbrush. Once a month I run it through the dishwasher. Right now I experimenting with how long I can really get out of a mask and so far 2.5 months is the longest.

But another question is how often do you replace the strap? They get stretched out to the point where they are no longer supple and that can be the cause of leaks. 

Sure hope you can get dialed in on the mask. Try the Amara View, many here use it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the Amara View now for two years with IPAP 21.6 and EPAP 16. Started with a small, then medium, finally a large and that was the right one. I use a soft cervical collar and suction my tongue to the roof of my mouth. My AHI is usually under 1 and that's with 8, 9, 10 hours of sleep a night (long sleeper). Now I do get leaks, but it's usually the sleep/junk of waking up. 

Are you Regularly washing the cushion? A few drops of Dawn and very hot water, brushed with a soft brush like an old toothbrush. Once a month I run it through the dishwasher. Right now I experimenting with how long I can really get out of a mask and so far 2.5 months is the longest.

But another question is how often do you replace the strap? They get stretched out to the point where they are no longer supple and that can be the cause of leaks. 

Sure hope you can get dialed in on the mask. Try the Amara View, many here use it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2019, 08:00 AM)DaveL Wrote: Congratulations on the good numbers! I wish the F20 had worked for me; I'm sometimes a mouth breather, and I'd like to have a full face mask I can use. The F20 leaked when I tried it for a week; numbers were bad. I use an N20 and have recently improved treatment by going to a narrower width. I had to tell my DME I had leakage (OSCAR works!) and use the fit-gauge myself.

If you like the N20, you might *really* like the N30i.  I've gone from the Mirage Activa LT that I used for 4 years to the N10 - didn't like it, it leaked just under my eye *all* the time - to the N20 which I do like, but it vents out in a straight line blast that ends up disturbing my wife when I roll too much to her side  I did notice the same thing you mentioned - on other Resmed masks, I need a medium cushion, on this one, small worked better.  Just ordered the N30i standard fit pack from Supplier #32 (I'm in Canada too) and it was under $150.  Medium seems to be the cushion I need, but I have the Small and Small Wide if I decide to fiddle later.  Venting is way more diffuse and directed downward, so the jet into the back of my wife's head is gone. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
I started with the ResMed Mirage Quattro.  I was in-between sizes.  I started with a large and then moved to a medium.  I used the mask for 10 years.  I switched a little over a year ago to the Resmed F20 AirFit.  I'm currently using a Large size cushion.    I love the mask.  My leaks have gone way done and the mask fits just more comfortably.  I also don't miss the forehead piece that the Quattro had.  The magnetic clips work better and the mask just seems to require less adjustments.  The mask is also easier to clean.  It also travels better.  I use it with both an Airsense 10 and AirMini.

My pressure is 17cm and my leak rate is near zero.  It was much higher with the Mirate Quattro.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2019, 02:54 PM)dragoneye Wrote: I run high pressures on my machine for years and years and have never gotten a good seal, not even once over nine years. I use the Resmed Mirage Quattro in large, and was told that it was the only mask available for high pressures 9 years ago. What say you talented folks here, need advice on this......sick of the squealing and blowing Thanks

I wish I knew how to answer that question!
Everyone will have a different answer.
Everyone has different shaped faces, sizes of nose, head, hairstyle etc, it all affects how the mask sits and seals on your face.
Add this to all the different styles of mask and different types of mask and you can see the problem.
If manufacturers had an answer to this they would only make one mask of each style, but they make them is different sizes, styles and shapes.
So right there is the problem.  There are also mask liners and people with home made liners to help seal a mask.

If I had an answer for you I would post it, but I don't.  I know this is a big issue and the masks are not cheap.

It would be very good if someone were to set up somewhere where you could go and try a range of masks with your CPAP machine for a couple of hours to see how you get on with various masks.  But other than someone trying what they think would be good for you, sticking it on your face and usually them deciding it is the mask for you (never often is) I don't know of anywhere like this.
It would be good to have somewhere like this where manufacturers had no influence on what mask you choose.
I had a look at doing this here but the distances involved were to large to make it pay.  Imagine trying to do this in the U.S.A or Australia, I was talking about a mobile unit, but even going from one place to another would be a logistical nightmare.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
that was an interesting discussions! I am on Airfit F20, medium, for 5 months (6.5 hours per night); side sleeper. It appears working nicely thus far, nonetheless three factors affects leaks, from my experience: (1) pressure above some 12.5; (2) sedating medication (clonazepam 0.6, or Pregabalin 75, when used); and (3) type of pillow (too soft, more leak; too soft+medication, even more leak).
The tighter, the better to prevent leaking.
Happy to know some people here went to more than 12.5 cm with success. I am planning to increase pressure above 12.5. Then, I have ordered both: a new airfit f20, and amaraview. Let us see!

GL
Post Reply Post Reply
I havee been using a F+P Simplus  FF mask. I run  mys cpap machine on auto and it runs almost at top pressure (20cmw) most of the night. I get minimal leaks.
But the mask fits tight inside of my cheek bones and I need to keep the mask straps tight, but it works. I tried a Resmed  F20 but that  didnt fit my face..

Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2019, 08:00 AM)DaveL Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 02:47 PM)dragoneye Wrote: No one cared for me either....the Doctor, Lincare, or anyone else. Thanks to you folks, I have a brand new Resmed Airfit F20 and my numbers are .2 events per hour

I'm so glad to see your post!
You and I are in good hands here. Though I've been compliant for over 30 years, I have so much to learn.

The system "blows" here in Canada. Treatment under the system isn't about health or sleep quality

However, the people here really, really make a difference.

Congratulations on the good numbers! I wish the F20 had worked for me; I'm sometimes a mouth breather, and I'd like to have a full face mask I can use. The F20 leaked when I tried it for a week; numbers were bad. I use an N20 and have recently improved treatment by going to a narrower width. I had to tell my DME I had leakage (OSCAR works!) and use the fit-gauge myself.

Sleep-well
DaveL
Toronto

No surprises as we are dealing with xPAP and air pressures... Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 704 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 140 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.