Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

best mask for side sleeper/mouth breather
best mask for side sleeper/mouth breather
I have done just fine with nasal pillows but then started to have to use tape on mouth as had air escaping. I can't see myself taping my mouth every night for the rest of my life! I am concerned about tooth decay etc. Can anyone recommend a comfortable full face mask which I can also turn on my side with?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: best mask for side sleeper/mouth breather
somnia16! 

Resmed airfit f 10 seems to be very popular. There are so many masks, it's hard to say. What's good for me may not suit you. What I'd suggest is that you go on the board wiki and look for -- Mask Primer --. Then I would post on the main forum for more replies.

You could also look for a thread on  -- full face mask -- & find more information.

Wish I could help you more!
                                              Bag-head     snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your pillow and hose management is a large consideration for a side sleeper.  
Hose management, you want something that can handle a good amount of movement as you rotate while keeping the hose from pulling on the mask and initiating a leak.
You generally want a pillow where the pillow will not move the mask. In other words, you want a hole where the mask goes or get the mask to hang over the edge while your head is supported.

Given these two items, most masks should work.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've recently been going through this transition for the same reason.

I had been using P10 for the last year. But my teeth have shifted (from sticking my tongue to the room of my mouth) and now my mouth won't stay closed/sealed for the entire night. I don't want to tape, nor to do a chinstrap. So I've been pursuing a FFM.

I have slept 2 nights with the F20 AirTouch and I love it! It's got my AHI so low! It doesn't budge on me as I shift from back to side to back to side throughout the night. It's very comfy! I highly recommend the F20 (AirFit is all silicone; AirTouch has memory foam).
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2018, 09:46 PM)bonjour Wrote: Your pillow and hose management is a large consideration for a side sleeper.  
Hose management, you want something that can handle a good amount of movement as you rotate while keeping the hose from pulling on the mask and initiating a leak.
You generally want a pillow where the pillow will not move the mask. In other words, you want a hole where the mask goes or get the mask to hang over the edge while your head is supported.

Given these two items, most masks should work.

I agree!  I love my buckwheat pillow for this exact reason. I can easily carve a hole out of wherever need be, and then my masks don't even touch the pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with these comments as well. I got tired of taping, and how the P10 would stretch over time, even after my mods, so I decided to try a FFM. I got the airfit F20(silicon) and I run the pressure at 16-25 PS4 and so far have had zero leaks and AHI between 1.5 and 2. This mask is also quieter that the P10 which I found super quiet, if it comes with the new diffusion elbow. I did have to put some fleece wraps on the straps as it was rubbing on my left side. I side sleep on my left side. Also, I use the buckwheat pillow, and based off of Bonjour's suggestion in one of my threads, I bought the 3 pack CPAP hose holders so I can attach the hose to my t-shirt and mattress so that it will not pull. One of the best and cheapest suggestions to date.
Make sure to have them size the mask properly and test under pressure. My first night, the temp DME worker sized me and gave me a small. Tried it at home and I had to have it so tight to stop leaking that it just was not wearable. I then sized myself and realized that I should have been a medium. Took it back and my regular DME was working so she sized me and said medium. We pressure tested and that is what I am currently using. Proper fitting eliminated leaks, literal headache(from the straps being so tight), and sore bridge on my nose. In that 4 hours I used it the first night, I actually had gotten a sore where it rubbed the bridge of my nose. No issues with the proper size one. Basically you need to try to see what works for you. I tried the F&P Brevida first, which was recommended as I loved the P10, but I could not get it to not leak for me no matter how loose or tight or which size cushion I wore. It just would not fit my face. Is it a bad mask. Can't say as everyone is different. Just because it did not fit my face does not mean it won't for the next guy/gal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! Will look into that. I also ordered a cervical collar so we will see  how I do with that.
Post Reply Post Reply
This week I have been comparing pressure and leakage data on two (masks) using the MYAIR phone app and SLEEPYHEAD. The masks in question are a Resmed P10 pillows and Resmed AirTouch  F20 full face mask.  I too am a mouth breather apparently.  In the middle of the night I will lie flat on my back and open my mouth WIDE!!!  

I have been impressed with the AirTouch F20 from night one except for the face lines.  I was hoping the P10 would address the face creases issue.  To get through the night with the nasal pillows I have tried the top of the line chin strap.  The problem is you can still open your lips AND the chinstrap requires such a high tension that it interrupts deep sleep and leaves deeper facal lines than the full face mask head gear.

So the data shows I leak less with the full face mask and generally operate at a lower applied pressure.  The headgear is way more comfortable than the chin strap.  So I guess I will use the full face as my primary mask and keep the nasal pillows for use in flight.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m a side-sleeper, and am very happy with my Simplus ff mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2018, 08:58 AM)somnia16 Wrote: ... I am concerned about tooth decay etc..."

???????
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 3 109 3 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 372 5 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 14 276 5 hours ago
Last Post: EasySleep
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 8 889 10 hours ago
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 4 190 03-16-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 984 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.