Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

best mask for side sleeper/mouth breather
RE: best mask for side sleeper/mouth breather
From the Net ... Mouth breathing can quickly dry out the mouth and decrease saliva production. Saliva is extremely important for neutralizing acid and helping to wash away bacteria, without it, the chance of tooth decay and cavities increases.

I have noticed since I started taping my mouth, as I was obviously a mouth breather, that my plaque buildup has dropped considerably. I get teeth cleaning every 6 months so I am aware of my problem spots and since taping and last cleaning, I have noticed that my problem areas are no longer a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also on the web; How to breathe properly / A complete guide. 

After reading this, I'm wondering if someone breathes the right way, would that person be a mouth breather in her sleep? 

Bag-head     snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want a good Full Face Mask I recommend Resmed F20. I prefer the AirTouch but the Airfit is also really good. For Dry mouth I recommend Xylimelts. They help keep your mouth moist.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2018, 07:13 AM)Kosoku Wrote: I agree with these comments as well. I got tired of taping, and how the P10 would stretch over time, even after my mods, so I decided to try a FFM. I got the airfit F20(silicon) and I run the pressure at 16-25 PS4 and so far have had zero leaks and AHI between 1.5 and 2. This mask is also quieter that the P10 which I found super quiet, if it comes with the new diffusion elbow. I did have to put some fleece wraps on the straps as it was rubbing on my left side. I side sleep on my left side. Also, I use the buckwheat pillow, and based off of Bonjour's suggestion in one of my threads, I bought the 3 pack CPAP hose holders so I can attach the hose to my t-shirt and mattress so that it will not pull. One of the best and cheapest suggestions to date.
Make sure to have them size the mask properly and test under pressure. My first night, the temp DME worker sized me and gave me a small. Tried it at home and I had to have it so tight to stop leaking that it just was not wearable. I then sized myself and realized that I should have been a medium. Took it back and my regular DME was working so she sized me and said medium. We pressure tested and that is what I am currently using. Proper fitting eliminated leaks, literal headache(from the straps being so tight), and sore bridge on my nose. In that 4 hours I used it the first night, I actually had gotten a sore where it rubbed the bridge of my nose. No issues with the proper size one. Basically you need to try to see what works for you. I tried the F&P Brevida first, which was recommended as I loved the P10, but I could not get it to not leak for me no matter how loose or tight or which size cushion I wore. It just would not fit my face. Is it a bad mask. Can't say as everyone is different. Just because it did not fit my face does not mean it won't for the next guy/gal.

Beautiful post. Many hints. Thank you.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2018, 01:26 PM)Kosoku Wrote: From the Net ... Mouth breathing can quickly dry out the mouth and decrease saliva production. Saliva is extremely important for neutralizing acid and helping to wash away bacteria, without it, the chance of tooth decay and cavities increases.

I have noticed since I started taping my mouth, as I was obviously a mouth breather, that my plaque buildup has dropped considerably. I get teeth cleaning every 6 months so I am aware of my problem spots and since taping and last cleaning, I have noticed that my problem areas are no longer a problem.

Thank you Thank you!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
You can learn to overcome the mouth breathing, it involves holding water in your mouth and breathing through your nose. 

Also learning how to seal the mouth off with how you place your tongue against the roof of your mouth is a benefit. 

I'm a side sleeper who tosses and turns all night due to chronic shoulder and lower back pain- hooking the hose above my head, and getting in to the habit of how to move the hose back as I roll have been things I've worked out. 
The hose lies in front of my head when on one side, and drapes over my neck when on the other side, so the need to ensure I move it back when rolling became quickly apparent. 

And rather than a pillow with a hollow or cutout for the mask, I have made my own flat firm pillow that does not allow my head to sink deeply in to. 
I have also made it a custom size that fits in to my case when travelling, so no more smotheringly soft motel pillows to contend with on trips.  Bigwink

Admittedly I currently use the F&P Eson nose mask, but I think I would have no problem using the setup for a full face mask if I needed to.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 368 1 hour ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 14 271 1 hour ago
Last Post: EasySleep
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 2 96 2 hours ago
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 8 884 6 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 4 187 03-16-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 131 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 982 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.