Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

best way to clean the silicone on mask cushions?
best way to clean the silicone on mask cushions?
My F20 cushions don't last very long .. maybe the way I clean them daily?
I use a drop of Dawn dish soap with water .. and dry with a towel.
any suggestions??
thanks
Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: best way to clean the silicone on mask cushions?
Dawn dish soap is actually pretty strong. Some of the Mask Soap are formulated for use on silicon. I use that or Baby Soap as an alternate.

If you have the one with memory foam, I believe it is famous for not lasting long. But your title says silicone. So how is it breaking down? I use very hot water and mask soap and I do wash daily but I have not seen any breakdown.
-- Bill
Struggling to keep the air moving like everyone else …  ?

Standard Disclaimer:
I'm just a CPAP user like you. I can't give medical advice. 
  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
1/2 the time I just run warm water over the nasal pillows as I massage with my fingers and air dry,
But at least once or twice a week I will use a mild soap and warm water and then air dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use unscented baby wipes daily and wash weekly with Purdoux CPAP mask soap and dry. Will occasionally use Palmolive or Ivory dish soap. Was told to avoid Dawn but know of lots of CPAP users who use it without any problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, cberistain  Don't tell anyone, but I only wash mine once a week.

You could try once or twice a week and see if it makes any difference in the wear you're seeing, or causes a problem with your skin.

Also, are you taking it apart every day?  If so, that might cause more wear than the washing.

Many people seem to just wipe the exterior, which wouldn't require taking it apart.
Post Reply Post Reply
My F30 cushions (silicone, not memory foam) get washed every day. A drop of dawn on a clean washcloth and some warm water to rinse well. They last me about a year each,
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lucid
I like the idea of not taking it apart every morning. l'll try that 
thanks
Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
Jeff8356,

not too, too different to what I'm doing now ... but I like the idea of using a wash cloth instead of using my fingers ( both inside and outside the silicone) ... I'll start doing what you are doing and also not taking the cushion off every morning to do the cleaning.
thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
For 18 yrs I have used Dawn and hot water every morning to clean my silicone masks. My insurance pays for 1 mask a month, so I change monthly. I have used the N20 the last 6 years, Comfortselect before.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2022, 05:45 PM)NoDozer Wrote: My insurance pays for 1 mask a month, so I change monthly.

Wow.   And I thought my 2 masks a year was pretty good coverage.. 

My F30's have lasted pretty good out to 9 or 10 months with daily unscented baby wipes and weekly liquid hand soap washings.
After that it seems that the leaks start requiring tighter straps..  at some point it's painful lol.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 449 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,288 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Nose mask vs nasal cushions and leak dry eyes silverdr 6 917 09-22-2023, 06:51 PM
Last Post: KeepingItSimple
  Suggestions on how to clean a Resmed S10 motor? texquad 5 914 09-01-2023, 02:24 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Modifying DREAMWEAR silicone nasal pillow mask xaid 2 716 07-01-2023, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Advice on how to clean F20 Airtouch? raptosnorus 4 726 06-30-2023, 08:23 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.