Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

bi-level ST and the AVAPS machines
RE: bi-level ST and the AVAPS machines
(12-21-2013, 09:02 PM)me50 Wrote: Peter_C does BIPAP change pressure with every breath if it needs to? I ask because a tech told me that the BIPAP they used in my titration did that. I don't mean start an inhale.
A System One BiPAP Pro (model 660) has two fixed pressures: the IPAP and the EPAP. The pressure changes from IPAP to EPAP on every inhalation to exhalation transition. The pressure changes from EPAP to IPAP on every exhalation to inhalation transition.

A System One BiPAP Auto (model 760) has an auto algorithm that allows both the EPAP and the IPAP to change throughout the night in response to flow limitations, snoring, RERAs, Hs, and OAs. Exactly how those two pressures are allowed to vary during the night depends on the following settings:
  • min EPAP
    max IPAP
    min PS
    max PS
In general, the actual EPAP and IPAP on any given breath cycle will satisfy:
  • min EPAP <= EPAP <= max IPAP - min PS
    min EPAP + min PS <= IPAP <= max IPAP
    min PS <= IPAP - EPAP <= max PS
And on every breath cycle, the IPAP is used for the inhalations and the EPAP is used for the exhalations.

And yes, a System One BiPAP Auto can be quite useful in managing aerophagia problems in some patients. The switch to a System One BiPAP Auto running is a very, very tight Auto range is what finally brought my aerophagia issues under control.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  traveling from sea level to SLC eok361 2 67 04-16-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 143 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  csa machines cexer 1 129 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,201 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 596 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 633 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 869 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.