Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

bipap pressure relief vs epr
bipap pressure relief vs epr
I've been experimenting with Retired Guy's recipe for great sleep. Narrow pressure range + epr, starting with an epr of 1. First night was great, and then I went downhill. Ahi average for 6 days is 5.3. Without epr was 4.2. Could be caused by bananns, aliens, or the epr.

If my brain can't handle epr would it have the same problem with pressure support on a bi-level?
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: bipap pressure relief vs epr
The main difference between "regular" exhale relief and bilevel pressure relief is the range. Bilevel PAP can go wider than 3cm while regular CPAP machines cannot.

What changed in your AHI? What kind of event increased? A little of everything? An average increase of less than 1cm is not that bad. How do you feel? That's more important.

Did you make the narrowing change and the EPR change at the same time? If so, then put the EPR back to what it was before you narrowed the range. Don't make too many changes at once or you won't know what is the culprit.

And third, 6 days isn't enough time. Make one change, give it at least 10-14 days. Longer if you can unless you are miserable. Write down what changes you made and when. Keep a sleep diary of what kind of day you had (good/bad stress level, fun/no fun, etc) before you lay down and then note how you feel when you get up.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just as an example for me I have my EPAP set at minimum 13, while my IPAP is set max 20, and the pressure support min 2 max 7, so the spread can be as much as 7 if EPAP stays at 13 and IPAP gets raised to 20. And then the CFlex set to 3x offering more exhale relief. So where as an auto CPAP gives it control to raise and lower through a range the pressure remains the same when inhaling and exhaling, where a Bipap allows you to adjust the inhale pressure in a range as well as a different range for the exhale, giving you a wider setting.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys very helpful info.

After reading Paula's post, I decided to stick with the epr for 10-14 days. Despite the higher AHI I wasnt feeling too bad.: Last night I was back to 4.1 ahi which is good for me. Since I have been at this narrow range for a couple weeks now, it is a good time to experiment with the epr.

I'm also going to keep that journal. I can almost predict a higher ahi when I am overstimulated the night before (partying, lots of people, not my norm quiet evening) Does this make any sense?Huh
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
You know I have considered whether or not there was a correlation between AHI and Stress or the like. I would presume there is just as stress has some impact on standard sleep habits. I wouldn't doubt it has consequences on our AHI just as it would on our sleep. Makes sense. I wonder if there are any concrete studies.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2014, 06:14 PM)Galactus Wrote: Makes sense. I wonder if there are any concrete studies.

Yes there are. It seems concrete performs better than asphalt, but is a bit nosier to drive on.

But we digress..... The actual question is whether or not stress can impact sleep apnea, or more to the point sleep performance. I believe just about anything can and does. Some things adversely, some in a positive way. Like a banana split for instance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nosy concrete. That must be a new type of concrete that I haven't run across before. Lolabove Laugh-a-lot

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2014, 08:28 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Nosy concrete. That must be a new type of concrete that I haven't run across before. Lolabove Laugh-a-lot

Not my fault I spelled it wrong. We P10 people are "nose obsessed." You'll see, as will Paula and Ready, "Resistance is futile."
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2014, 08:37 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(09-30-2014, 08:28 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Nosy concrete. That must be a new type of concrete that I haven't run across before. Lolabove Laugh-a-lot

Not my fault I spelled it wrong. We P10 people are "nose obsessed." You'll see, as will Paula and Ready, "Resistance is futile."

It's a well known fact that retired people are poor smellers and spellers, especially the nose obsessed thread ruiners (names left out to protect the guilty).

Now can we get back to the thread at hand before we turn this one to crap too?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok banannas and noses aside what would you do?
- ahi avg 4-5
- feeling better but not as good as RG
- 95% pressure 20
-no alcohol (SURE MISS MY WINE), not sleeping on my back, use chin strap, no banannas
-using epr 1, 16-20

Just want to see what you would suggest to the doc...
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 952 9 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 253 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  OSCAR pressure readings versus BIPAP display smallhandsfeeding 0 155 02-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  UARS, bipap pressure, I or E Wcsleep 3 436 01-12-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Muggzy's Therapy Thread - My quest for relief Muggzy 6 598 01-07-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Muggzy
  Newbie here - do I need higher pressure or BIPAP? her.suit 0 297 12-29-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: her.suit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.