Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

bipap pressure relief vs epr
RE: bipap pressure relief vs epr
I think we would need to see more detail to make any suggestions. Like what percentage CAs, OAs, and Hs. Leaks too. How are you doing with the Simplus mask?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You say AHI 4-5 but what's the breakdown for it? I think that's also an important part from what I understand so far.

Feeling better is a good sign, many here state that "feeling better" is the key and under 5 AHI being the gold standard with + feeling better.

Payton sniped me it looks like Smile

If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2014, 06:17 AM)readyforsleep Wrote: Ok banannas and noses aside what would you do?
- ahi avg 4-5
- feeling better but not as good as RG
- 95% pressure 20
-no alcohol (SURE MISS MY WINE), not sleeping on my back, use chin strap, no banannas
-using epr 1, 16-20

Just want to see what you would suggest to the doc...

You're doing "ok" but I'd like to see better for you. Your pressures are so darned high. I think I'd try dropping the range a little. Say to 15/18 with an EPR of 2. The theory is that lowering the pressure will increase ahi, but in your case I think some of your effect is because it's just too high. Anyhow, as counter-intuitive as it may seem, I think I would talk to the Doc about doing this.

I also wonder if your pressures would have to be this high with a different mask? Ok, I know you can't go to the pillows mask just yet, but maybe a nasal mask, such as the N10?

I have had to pretty much give up wine because of my respiratory issues, but I'm a big believer in it, so I sure think you could enjoy a glass in the evening with dinner without a big problem.

And ok, no bananas. But a small hot-fudge sundae couldn't hurt much.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2014, 10:29 AM)PaytonA Wrote: I think we would need to see more detail to make any suggestions. Like what percentage CAs, OAs, and Hs. Leaks too. How are you doing with the Simplus mask?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Here is the breakdown for the last 4 months:
Ca .41
oa 2.69
h 1.24

my leaks for the most part stay under the 25 line. A few hiccups now and then. I am always juggling to get the mask just right, not too tight, not too loose. Other than feeling like a space man, I am happy with the simplus.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2014, 11:06 AM)retired_guy Wrote: -

You're doing "ok" but I'd like to see better for you. Your pressures are so darned high. I think I'd try dropping the range a little. Say to 15/18 with an EPR of 2. The theory is that lowering the pressure will increase ahi, but in your case I think some of your effect is because it's just too high. Anyhow, as counter-intuitive as it may seem,
think I would talk to the Doc about doing this.

I also wonder if your pressures would have to be this high with a different mask? Ok, I know you can't go to the pillows mask just yet, but maybe a nasal mask, such as the N10?

I have had to pretty much give up wine because of my respiratory issues, but I'm a big believer in it, so I sure think you could enjoy a glass in the evening with dinner
without a big problem.

And ok, no bananas. But a small hot-fudge sundae couldn't hurt much.
[/quote]

RG,

Great idea. I'll give 15/18 a try tonight...

About the nasal mask, not sure I understand. If I'm a mouth breather with a pillow mask?Dont-know
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey there, I was a "confirmed guaranteed mouth breather" at my sleep study. P10 nasal pillow mask is the best thing I ever tried. Even better than a banana split. Don't believe the hype. The body can be trained, and if it gets air it won't struggle to open your mouth and breathe in. Think about it, if you can't breathe of course you're going to open your mouth and try and breathe, but does that make you a mouth breather? I think not. Just my 3 cents.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
As young Mr. Galactus says "mouth breathing" is often over stated. I was a poster child for mouth breathing because my nose just wouldn't work right. Well, I tried the pillows mask anyhow and low and behold I can breath just fine through my nose. Not only at night when I'm asleep, but now during the course of the day I breath through my nose quite a bit.

So, you would likely need a chinstrap for awhile, I still have to use one, but nose breathing is way better than mouth breathing, and ultimately might be the answer to your need for such high pressures.

I think a nasal mask to begin with though. The 20 you're at would probably be a bit much for a pillows mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll try anything...just so you know, I taped for years to use a pillow mask, I taped until my pressure got too high and I was leaking thru the tape. I have a receeding jaw and chin straps with my pillows did nada.

but I'll give it another shot...Grin
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't like the tape thing Ready.... Chinstrap, gently applied. Mouth closed, jaw forward, gently.... Your tongue actually creates the air lock by being placed at the roof of your mouth. So it's not so much about keeping the mouth tightly closed as it is about encouraging your jaw to stay forward when you fall asleep, which allows your tongue to stay where it's supposed to stay.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok RG. I will give it the nasal mask a try. I would love for it to work. Meanwhile I'll try the reduced pressure range, have a glass of wine with dinner and a hot fudge sunday as a snack. Thanks for all your advice.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 968 Today, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 160 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  OSCAR pressure readings versus BIPAP display smallhandsfeeding 0 155 02-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  UARS, bipap pressure, I or E Wcsleep 3 439 01-12-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Muggzy's Therapy Thread - My quest for relief Muggzy 6 598 01-07-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Muggzy
  Newbie here - do I need higher pressure or BIPAP? her.suit 0 297 12-29-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: her.suit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.