Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

blood pressure and cpap
blood pressure and cpap
my blood pressure has been moderately high and so I am on a small dose RX. My doctor who first diagnosed apnea said that most likely after being on cpap for a while that my blood pressure would return to normal, and might not have to take RX.

I've been on cpap since July, but have not felt successful until the last few weeks. Getting 7+ hours sleep, AHI is less than one almost everyday. My blood pressure is still hanging at 135/85. I know that's not danger level. I am wondering if I was having false hope or if maybe after more time maybe it will happen.

I don't know with 135/85 if I need to ask my doc to up my RX or just wait and see. Any one out there have experience or advice in this area?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: blood pressure and cpap
No, your bp is in a pretty decent level, if you are nearing or over 50 for sure. Between 30 and 45 it may be considered a bit high, mostly because our norms are established against fit, athletic people of that age. There you may see it a bit lower, but 135/85 is still in the "green" zone, if in the upper end. Also, you have to take into account the surgery effect - you are in the doctor's surgery when it is being taken, and will be likely a titch higher than when at home and at rest. At that level you are not doing badly at all and unless there is a good reason, I doubt your doc would up the dosage. I take it you are on either Lisitril or Amilodipine? Or both, as they are often used in combo. BP does come down with CPAP use, but usually only when combined with exercise and diet change. If you have an unhealthy lifestyle it will not change. Either way, we usually don't see changes to bp levels due to CPAP use for at least a year or more. Remember, you probably were in need of CPAP for several years, and it takes as many to undo the damage. Don't expect dramatic changes in such a short time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the help. I am taking Benazepril 5mg. I am 66 y.o. probably healthier than I deserve to be. I exercise everyday, and eat healthy MOST of the time. I'm pretty active for my age and not overweight. I retired last summer. I stay busy doing fun things and still do a bit of moonlighting just to keep my brain active.

Especially now that I've gotten the hang of cpap, I seem to feel really good all the time. I did not feel so good for the first couple months on cpap so i'm really glad the worst part is over. I appreciate your advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
No worries. For your age you are in a more or less decent region, so don't sweat it unless your doc does. As it is, from a first look and not knowing your history, I would say relax and enjoy your retirement. Just keep the salt intake down and you will be fine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 13 313 04-16-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: RichardW
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 155 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 269 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 273 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 319 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 510 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 205 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.