Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

brand new to this, and a little nervous
brand new to this, and a little nervous
Hi all. I had my sleep study on the 11th of this month and should be hearing from the sleep center in a week or so to get going with my treatment. The tech couldn't give me any specific info, but after I pushed just a little she told me that my AHI was in the 5-15 range, so I'm assuming I will be starting with the CPAP pretty soon. I really hope so, because I'm tired of being so tired all the time. I know you can all relate.

I like to be very involved with my medical care, so I have one specific question right now: What specific items should I ask the doctor? I want to know my AHI, whether I had any Cheyne-Stokes breathing, what my O2 sats were, and whether I had more central than obstructive incidents. (I may be wrong, but for several reasons I think that I will have more centrals. Time will tell on that!) Of course, I will want to discuss treatment options.

What else do you think I should ask? I've done a fair amount of reading so far, but, are there any specific things I should study up on?

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: brand new to this, and a little nervous
Leemax, one step at a time. There will either be a followup to discuss your results, or you will be scheduled for a titration study. You may ask for your results from your doctor, and you may also inquire if you can use auto CPAP to self titrate rather than have a second study for titration. At this point, I would not worry about centrals or certainly Cheyne-Stokes unless you are at risk for that as a result of heart failure, drug use or other neurological issue. Just get the results, or at least find out what is happening next. My guess is you will get a call for a titration study without ever seeing your results. The only way I know to change that is to call the doctor's office and express your wishes.

You want a clear diagnosis, recommendation and copy of your sleep study. You will have to ask for it. Once you have that, you can take the next step.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I might also recommend getting a copy of any prescription he might give you...
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2017, 04:09 PM)Leemax Wrote: I like to be very involved with my medical care, so I have one specific question right now: What specific items should I ask the doctor?

Tell them you want a prescription for an auto-adjusting CPAP machine. If they won't write it make sure that you get that machine from your equipment supplier anyway. Do not let them screw you over by giving you a cheaper machine that raises their profits and leaves you with substandard care.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Leemax,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you start your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new to this Cheesedream 53 2,479 02-09-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Dumb Question - Just nervous and want some clarification kc90 5 296 02-09-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  I’m brand new and have a question Boba1241 6 395 12-22-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: eok361
  Nervous about Central Apneas ghgustafson 1 525 12-21-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Brand new Bi-PAP machine whistles on inhale. S.L. Ping Beauty 4 573 02-28-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 457 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Brand new. Less than a week any observations on this OSCAR pic? billy2606 3 491 01-07-2023, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Brazen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.