Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

breathing in too much exhaled air
breathing in too much exhaled air
The air I breathe after exhaling (during ramp time) feels hot and too much like exhaled air.

Min settings 4, max settings 12 for pressure on Breas iSleep 20i. Would the solution be to reduce the ramp time (5min)?

I find the starting pressure low, but not on every occasion...
Before APAP: [Image: DARTH-VADER_zpsa57946df.png]

After APAP: See avatar: R2D2 for the win!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle"
--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: P10 query: breathing in too much exhaled air
Actually, if your minimum pressure is set to 4, your ramp isn't doing anything. The ramp's function is to "ramp up" from 4 to the treatment pressure (or minimum pressure if APAP). Since your minimum is 4, it's useless.

What could be happening is you are getting used to the higher pressure that you experience during sleep. I can't remember but how long have you been using this machine? Are you watching the data? If you've been using it for more than 2 weeks since the last change, you could try raising the lower number a bit. Perhaps to 5, just to see if there is a change.

As much as I dislike the P10, I doubt it is the mask itself that is causing the issue.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2014, 08:05 PM)Visitor Wrote: The air I breathe after exhaling (during ramp time) feels hot and too much like exhaled air.

Min settings 4, max settings 12 for pressure on Breas iSleep 20i. Would the solution be to reduce the ramp time (5min)?

I find the starting pressure low, but not on every occasion...
I was going to say turn down the humidifier but your profile shows 'Humidifier: none'

At low pressure, you might be breathing some of the exhaled air
For me would feel uncomfortable to start at such low pressure but for others might be all what they need

Does your machine comes with the software and are you getting the efficacy data from the machine ... AHI, leak, 90% or 95% pressure

I would increase the minimum pressure 2 cmh2o below 90% pressure
normally doctors recommend 90% pressure as CPAP pressure if using fixed pressure machine

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2014, 08:05 PM)Visitor Wrote: Min settings 4, max settings 12 for pressure on Breas iSleep 20i. Would the solution be to reduce the ramp time (5min)?

Hi Visitor

As others have said, if you have 4 set as the lowest pressure then the ramp function (as such) is unlikely to be operating.

What may be happening is that the machine is starting out at 4 and automatically increasing until it 'thinks' it is working to reduce the OSA.

When I first started out I thought I would like it to start low and work up so I had the unit set to 5 to 20. I got the same feeling you get and, since my 95% pressure worked out to be 9.5 (more or less over time), I reset my low pressure to be 8.5. I found it very easy to get used to the initial hit of pressure and the side benefit was that the average AHI dropped because the machine wasn't seeing OA's while it worked its way up from the minimum to the normal operating level of around 9.

Of course - and as always - you mileage may vary.

Cheers

David
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all,

I do have a humidifier, but only since recently. It's set at 5. (I'll adjust my profile to include a humidifier). I've been using the Breas for two weeks now.

I have a cold, but my nose doesn't feel blocked. Nevertheless, even with my nasal mask I had a hard time breathing in, so I suspect it may be due to a change in my condition rather than an issue with the masks. I finally fell asleep with the nasal mask. The Breas is fully data capable, but I can't read the data at the moment.

My DME said that the machine would ramp up, starting gently. I never experienced that in those five minutes (it indicates: ramp 5 minutes), so your comments explain why this is the case. I've always felt I could do with more air, but last night it was a serious problem. I could not tolerate the P10 at all, despite having slept with it the afternoon before.

My hose became so filled with water, it started gurgling really hard and I had to pour it all out. I insulated it, but the sleeve may not be enough. It's made of velvet on the side lining the tube and cloth on the outside, with some air between the sleeve and the tube for added insulation. It does not seem to do the trick. Hanging the hose over a chair did not work as the exhaled air condensed and ran down to the mask. I have it now just hanging down the bed with the Breas at bed level on a stand, but the water just gathers in a lower part of the tube. The DME advised not to put the machine lower than the bed level. But even if I were to do so, I imagine the water would still gather in the lowest part, i.e. at ground level near the machine. I may need to turn the humidity level down (?)

--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: breathing in too much exhaled air
2 issues going on here. The water in tubing and the starting pressure.

1) Water in tubing = the air in the humidifier is much warmer than the air in the room. The air leaves the humidifier at near 100% relative humidity. As the air cools, it can no longer hold the water and the result is condensation in the tubing (same theory as to why you have dew on the grass in the morning).

I would turn down your humidifier setting until the condensation mostly goes away. High humidity settings and heated tubing/wrap are something mostly used in the winter while the air is much drier and needs more humidity added.

2) I believe your starting pressure is too low. I rarely put anyone on a starting pressure of 4. Increase the starting pressure until it feels more comfortable to you. Most good sized guys will feel more comfortable with a 6-7 starting pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2014, 03:38 AM)Visitor Wrote: I have it now just hanging down the bed with the Breas at bed level on a stand, but the water just gathers in a lower part of the tube. The DME advised not to put the machine lower than the bed level. But even if I were to do so, I imagine the water would still gather in the lowest part, i.e. at ground level near the machine. I may need to turn the humidity level down (?)

I saw a quote the other day on one of the other forums... "if your DME tells you the sun is shining, go outside and check".

if you're getting condensation in the hose, even with the hose cover, the easiest way to keep it from being a big issue is to make sure the machine is lower than the bed, arrange the hose so that the water can drain back into the machine.

if that means putting the machine in the floor and supporting the hose between it and the bed, then do it.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2014, 08:05 PM)Visitor Wrote: The air I breathe after exhaling (during ramp time) feels hot and too much like exhaled air.

Min settings 4 . . .

Found your manual: http://www.sleepnetmasks.com/downloads/i...al-IFU.pdf

It lists 3cm as the minimum but also warns that it might not be enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I've lowered the humidity. Hopefully that will sort the condensation issue.

I'll keep the pressure issue in mind.

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply
Once you get over the initial adjustment, lose the ramp, or turn the time down. Ramp is for newbies, and probably is used even more than necessary for them because of the stale air feeling it can give you.

Once you get some data, you should probably to raise your starting pressure to something a little closer to what you end up needing on most nights. The machine can't adjust the pressure up until you have some breathing problems, so you have to suffer from some discomfort before it autos up. It's also harder to adjust your mask if the pressure is changing too much.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,127 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 149 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 385 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Implications of Expiratory mouth breathing? SingleH 9 488 02-09-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.