Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

breathing problems vs. sleep problems
breathing problems vs. sleep problems
I am beginning to wonder if my CSA diagnosis is not one of those clean miss situations. I have always had asthma. When I was a kid it was bad. I was sent off to Seattle from here in Alaska and the doctor there found that in normal day to day I was running at 75% oxygen. We did not have inhalers and all that as are so common now.

I was found to have scads of allergies and avoided all that stuff and had allergy shots and basically outgrew it. Still I have always had wheezy lungs even though from age 13 until 50 I ran, skied, hiked, and rode a bike on a regular basis.

Chronic inflammation and injuries took me out of the endurance type activities I loved so much. Then somehow it morphed into Central Sleep Apnea.

Whatever it is going on with me and these machines and doctors and clinics and DME and all of this somehow I am not getting what I need out of sleeping. Recovery from a day of activity.

What I have going on now is a day of recovery after sleeping.

Am I the only one out here that is going through this? I am deep into year four of constant struggling as my life includes less and less activities.

I was wondering if there is a breathing/neuromuscular/inflammation situation out there that shows as a CSA diagnosis and responds to a different kind of breathing machine treatment?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: breathing problems vs. sleep problems
Did you have CA's (central apneas) on your PSG (first sleep study)?

Did you go straight to the Adapt or did you start/fail on CPAP/BIPAP first and have a f/u sleep study done?

If you aren't getting the results you desire, 3 possible solutions:

Better mask (are you experiencing a large amount of leaks)

Find the correct settings (there are a lot of other settings in an Adapt that can be tweaked for better patient comfort)

Identify the cause of the CA's (is it something that can be treated/elminated).
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2014, 09:46 AM)jaycee Wrote: Did you have CA's (central apneas) on your PSG (first sleep study)?
--------------
Yes I did. It said the CA's developed after the pressures cleared the OSA's
--------------
Did you go straight to the Adapt or did you start/fail on CPAP/BIPAP first and have a f/u sleep study done?
---------------
I went through 2 and a half years of misery with a Bipap ASV advanced. I lost my job and insurance. The DME replaced the 1st machine when it began overheating with a rebuild and I lost warrantee. The rebuild began overheating and acting weird. I was forced to go without a machine. I bought the S9 Vpap Adapt with my cash out of the 401k. I bought insurance and got a new sleep study just recently. The new sleep study numbers are different. Loaded in the machine I do not sleep long enough to be rested even though I get(often 0) AHI.
------------------
If you aren't getting the results you desire, 3 possible solutions:

Better mask (are you experiencing a large amount of leaks)
-------------------
I went to the smaller size Quattro mirage that eliminated some leaks
-------------------
Find the correct settings (there are a lot of other settings in an Adapt that can be tweaked for better patient comfort)
-------------------
I do not seem to tolerate the pressures recommended by the sleep studies. It is like being tortured.
--------------------
Identify the cause of the CA's (is it something that can be treated/elminated).
---------------------
I did get scanned and blood tested for heart and diabetes and RI and so on. No identifiable factors. I did get an impacted upper 2nd molar removed. It was a nasty tooth pull that was a long healup while I did not have a machine. I could not have used the mask anyway. I do seem to have constant sinus stuff going on still. I still have reoccurring inflammation in my lower back that decks me every day.
---------------------

Post Reply Post Reply

After waiting several days for a response from my sleep doctor, he politely told me to go fly a kite since he is not affiliated with my medical group.

How do I determine which settings to tweek in which direction. On my S9 Autoset it was simple. On my PRS1 ASV I sort of understand what the settings are and I know how to get into the clinician menu and twist the knob. My AHI is generally well below 3 but I crave an afternoon nap most days..

Where do I start?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,048 4 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 1,999 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 160 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 146 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 506 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 167 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.