Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

broni (Therapy Thread) Aerophagia
broni (Therapy Thread) Aerophagia
Hi,
I was hoping you guys could check out my data here: https://imgur.com/a/SujghMM and let me know if it looks good or bad, and hopefully give me a few suggestions to try.

Lately i've been waking up with a full stomach, and have to burp/fart to let all the air out. I've tried lowering the pressure slowly but it still has been happening.

I use nasal pillows and I believe I was having about 15 apneas per hour when I was diagnosed like..... 8 years ago. I couldn't get used to the machine, so I stopped using it for years and now I'm trying to start using it again because I've found out that I don't mind the nasal pillows (was using full face mask before)

I'm 27M, workout 5 days a week and have a healthy weight and never understood why I would have sleep apnea...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need advice based on OSCAR data
Hi broni!  -  Welcome

You have your EPR set to 3.  This can cause CO2 washout, which causes the CAs.  I would try reducing it to 2 and let's see how that affects you.  Also, the EPR value subtracts from your set pressure but will not go below the CPAP's minimum pressure of 4 cm.  I would recommend that you increase your minimum pressure to 7 cm.  There is a two-fold reason for this.  First, most adults will feel air starved at a pressure setting below this, and two, this pressure setting allows for the full use of the EPR setting.  Using an EPR setting of 2 and setting your pressure range to 7 to 12 will provide an exhalation pressure range of 5 to 10 cm.  

Your profile shows a pressure of 4 to 10, but your chart is showing 4 to 12. To avoid a wide pressure change, you could set it back to 10 for now. Resmed's use the flow limit value to trigger pressure changes. For now, if you're still ingesting air, you may wish to narrow this range to try and overcome it. If you decide on this approach, I would change both ends of the range. This would include increasing the minimum by 1 cm, and decreasing the maximum by 1 cm.

One little tidbit;  Please use the F12 key to take your screenshots.  This will reduce the calendar and will allow us to see more of the important information.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, thank you very much for the fast reply and tips. I had no idea about the EPR, I will try these suggestions and see how it pans out and report back. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2022, 10:36 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Hi broni!  -  Welcome

You have your EPR set to 3.  This can cause CO2 washout, which causes the CAs.  I would try reducing it to 2 and let's see how that affects you.  Also, the EPR value subtracts from your set pressure but will not go below the CPAP's minimum pressure of 4 cm.  I would recommend that you increase your minimum pressure to 7 cm.  There is a two-fold reason for this.  First, most adults will feel air starved at a pressure setting below this, and two, this pressure setting allows for the full use of the EPR setting.  Using an EPR setting of 2 and setting your pressure range to 7 to 12 will provide an exhalation pressure range of 5 to 10 cm.  

Your profile shows a pressure of 4 to 10, but your chart is showing 4 to 12.  To avoid a wide pressure change, you could set it back to 10 for now.  Resmed's use the flow limit value to trigger pressure changes.  For now, if you're still ingesting air, you may wish to narrow this range to try and overcome it.  If you decide on this approach, I would change both ends of the range.  This would include increasing the minimum by 1 cm, and decreasing the maximum by 1 cm.

One little tidbit;  Please use the F12 key to take your screenshots.  This will reduce the calendar and will allow us to see more of the important information.

- Red

Thanks for the tip =  F12 key to take your screenshots

Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, thank you very much for the fast reply and tips. I had no idea about the EPR, I will try these suggestions and see how it pans out and report back. Thanks again!

Post number 4 hopefully works

i need to post 4 times to post pictures. stupid
Post Reply Post Reply
Waking up with full stomach of air
Hi guys,

I made a post about 5 months ago about my issues with waking up with a full stomach of air. Advice suggested that I lower my EPR as high EPR can cause Co2 washout which causes central apneas. Was also told to up my min pressure to 7 so the EPR can fully function. I tried changing these settings and messing with other stuff after it didn't work. 

After changing EPR settings and air pressure settings, nothing has really changed as far as me waking up with a full stomach of air. 

My most recent change I tried just doing EPR on ramp up time, lowered my max pressure and I'm still waking up with a stomach full of air, and high central apneas. 
 I attached my most recent stats.

Do you have any further suggestions? Not sure what to do as this point.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: broni (Therapy Thread)
Note: I have combined your two threads on this same subject.

Some folk who suffer with Aerophagia (the swallowing of air) will use a static pressure (Cpap mode) instead of Auto mode. It can't hurt to try.

Use a pressure of 6cm with EPR 2. Stay with this for awhile and see how you feel. If ok, start raising the pressure up a little at a time. If you start to swallow air again, then lower it back down. Turn the ramp feature to off.

There are some other things to try for aerophagia: Sleep on your side, and/or slightly elevated. Do you mouth breath? Use tape if necessary. Also, don't eat or drink within a few hours of bedtime.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: broni (Therapy Thread) Aerophagia
Thank you so much, I will give this a try!

I do sleep on my side and I do mouth breath sometimes, but usually not when I have the nasal pillows on
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,057 11 hours ago
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 150 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 248 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,259 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,331 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 590 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 950 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.