Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

buying a used machine and cleaning it well?
Grin 
buying a used machine and cleaning it well?
Hi. New to this whole CPAP deal but seem to be responding well to my therapy. I travel a great deal and reside in a number of parts of the country. Travelling with the gear is a hassle -I'm sure you all know. I'd like to invest in additional setups for my regular residences so I don't always have to lug everything around. I have found through researching online, I can buy the kits for around $1150 brand new from DMEs or around $350 in the "lightly" used market -seems there is a great deal of gear in that area. I know to avoid the pet and smoker units, check the software to be sure the unit is relatively new, check the total hours to make sure I'm noting being sold a story -etc. What are your thoughts? I would replace the water chamber and tubing of course along with the filter. Masks always new. Are there ways to properly sterilize these things - what about leaving them alone for a couple of weeks -there aren't any living organizisms that I'm aware of that can live on hard surfaces too long? Your thoughts are apprecaited, thanks in advance!

The second part of this question, what's the best way to maintain the continuity of data? I'm thinking I would upload my SD card after using each machine at each location into the same patient file of my ResScan software???

THANKS!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: buying a used machine and cleaning it well?
Welcome to the board, intellops!
Interesting questions; even though I've been using a CPAP since 1995 I've never encountered a 'slightly used machine' nor would I care to. There are some small units that sell for $300 t0 $400 that would meet your needs. I purchased my Everest 3 for just a little over $400 because it was small and easily transported/carried-on planes. However, this machine does not have reporting capabilities.

You'll need to clean your masks, humidifiers, and tubing per the manufacturer's instructions regardless of the amount of time they are left unattended.

Given your last sentence, it looks like you want to purchase multiple S9's. I don't see why you couldn't use the same SD card in the machines unless the software records the machine id each time. On the other hand you could use the SleepyHead software and not have to worry about obtaining data from multiple machines. I-love-CPAP
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I,m trying to save some money but it,s hard these days price of coffee Coffee is going up to buy this machine from Supplier #2
PR System One Auto/humidifier with a new water chamber $369
Machines are cleaned and tested and comes with 6 months warranty.

A new S9 comes with new SD card, You can use ResScan but have to create a new patient.
SleepyHead software support S9 and PRS1.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2012, 05:50 PM)zonk Wrote: I,m trying to save some money but it,s hard these days price of coffee Coffee is going up to buy this machine from Supplier #2

A new S9 comes with new SD card, You can use ResScan but have to create a new patient.

i'm pretty sure with sleepy head you can use cards from different machines in the same user as long as they are different days on the different cards. when you import the data it will tell you that this data is coming from another machine and you just ok it. i learned this because my wife and i are 2 users in the same program and sometimes put the wrong card in the wrong user. it lets you know before you import it, so you don't get it wrong.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Grin 
Thanks for a prompt reply. The "used" ones I'm seeing I'm guessing are units that were acquired via insurance and after a few days determined to be not wanted/needed. I want to stick with S9 units so I'mn familiar and the data can all be viewed. Are there any "super" cleaning methods for this equipment? What would they do in a clinical setting between patients or wouldn't they use these in a multi patient setting?

(03-07-2012, 04:47 PM)bobg1946 Wrote: Welcome to the board, intellops!
Interesting questions; even though I've been using a CPAP since 1995 I've never encountered a 'slightly used machine' nor would I care to. There are some small units that sell for $300 t0 $400 that would meet your needs. I purchased my Everest 3 for just a little over $400 because it was small and easily transported/carried-on planes. However, this machine does not have reporting capabilities.

You'll need to clean your masks, humidifiers, and tubing per the manufacturer's instructions regardless of the amount of time they are left unattended.

Given your last sentence, it looks like you want to purchase multiple S9's. I don't see why you couldn't use the same SD card in the machines unless the software records the machine id each time. On the other hand you could use the SleepyHead software and not have to worry about obtaining data from multiple machines. I-love-CPAP

I'm slated to see a 0hour s9 autoset early next week that the seller is asking for $350. Will see what it really is I guess. Using ResScan and it seems to work -what would sleepyhead give me? Thanks again!

(03-07-2012, 05:50 PM)zonk Wrote: I,m trying to save some money but it,s hard these days price of coffee Coffee is going up to buy this machine from Supplier #2

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi intellops
I don,t use SleepyHead and know nothing about it.

This cleaning guide for multi patient setting
http://www.resmed.com/assets/documents/s...ow_eng.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
regarding lightly used, my machine has a total blower hours reading that can not be changed. resmed probably has the same thing. you could probably ask for the blower hours to see if they truly are lightly used.

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi....google secondhand machines and there are places that sell them. Some times the box has only been opened..no use yet.

(03-07-2012, 04:16 PM)intellops Wrote: Hi. New to this whole CPAP deal but seem to be responding well to my therapy. I travel a great deal and reside in a number of parts of the country. Travelling with the gear is a hassle -I'm sure you all know. I'd like to invest in additional setups for my regular residences so I don't always have to lug everything around. I have found through researching online, I can buy the kits for around $1150 brand new from DMEs or around $350 in the "lightly" used market -seems there is a great deal of gear in that area. I know to avoid the pet and smoker units, check the software to be sure the unit is relatively new, check the total hours to make sure I'm noting being sold a story -etc. What are your thoughts? I would replace the water chamber and tubing of course along with the filter. Masks always new. Are there ways to properly sterilize these things - what about leaving them alone for a couple of weeks -there aren't any living organizisms that I'm aware of that can live on hard surfaces too long? Your thoughts are apprecaited, thanks in advance!

The second part of this question, what's the best way to maintain the continuity of data? I'm thinking I would upload my SD card after using each machine at each location into the same patient file of my ResScan software???

THANKS!

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2012, 06:23 AM)abradley Wrote: Hi....google secondhand machines and there are places that sell them. Some times the box has only been opened..no use yet.

(03-07-2012, 04:16 PM)intellops Wrote: Hi. New to this whole CPAP deal but seem to be responding well to my therapy. I travel a great deal and reside in a number of parts of the country. Travelling with the gear is a hassle -I'm sure you all know. I'd like to invest in additional setups for my regular residences so I don't always have to lug everything around. I have found through researching online, I can buy the kits for around $1150 brand new from DMEs or around $350 in the "lightly" used market -seems there is a great deal of gear in that area. I know to avoid the pet and smoker units, check the software to be sure the unit is relatively new, check the total hours to make sure I'm noting being sold a story -etc. What are your thoughts? I would replace the water chamber and tubing of course along with the filter. Masks always new. Are there ways to properly sterilize these things - what about leaving them alone for a couple of weeks -there aren't any living organizisms that I'm aware of that can live on hard surfaces too long? Your thoughts are apprecaited, thanks in advance!

THANKS!

used machines should be fine. even in a hospital i don't think it would be actually sterilized between patients. just wipe down good probably.

i don't know about rescan, but in sleepyhead when you try to input from a different card you get a warning. just ok it and it'll be fine as long as 2 cards aren't on the same day. carry your laptop place to place and upload as you go but use different cards in different machines. leave the cards in the machines so they don't get mixed up.

if you knew how long my machine sat by the bed unused in the past you wouldn't even ask about being gone a couple weeks.

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2012, 06:40 PM)greatunclebill Wrote:

i'm pretty sure with sleepy head you can use cards from different machines in the same user as long as they are different days on the different cards. when you import the data it will tell you that this data is coming from another machine and you just ok it. i learned this because my wife and i are 2 users in the same program and sometimes put the wrong card in the wrong user. it lets you know before you import it, so you don't get it wrong.

SleepyHead software does allow you to set up multiple user profiles. I handle all the data uploads for myself and my wife. I do not upload both machines on the same day. The software does keep track of the machine serial number so that will help I hope.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 172 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,797 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,602 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 345 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.