Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

can resmed air mini be dangerous?
Sad 
can resmed air mini be dangerous?
I got a ResMed Air Mini with an Airfit F30 mask to use when I travel.   I spent 10 days on vacation in a hot humid climate (in February).  The machine turns off automatically shortly after I take the mask off, then starts back when I put the mask on and start breathing.  I like this feature generally; however on one occasion I woke up from a deep sleep literally suffocating.  I tried to take a breath and couldn't.  I started to panic and grabbed the mask that was stuck to my face like a jellyfish or a deflated plastic bag.  I had to put my finger underneath it and pry it off my face before I could get a breath.  On one other occasion I woke up to no air coming in.  A deep breath seemed to correct the situation.

Needless to say I am leery of taking it anywhere or using the Air Mini at all.  I am wondering if the auto start/stop feature functions improperly if my body is sometimes not inclined breathe without prompting. My "home unit", a ResMed F10 which is a work horse and works fine, gives me little "puffs" to encourage me to breathe when I'm not.  I don't notice this happening with the Air Mini.

Anyone experienced this or have any thoughts about it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: can resmed air mini be dangerous?
What mask are you using with the AirMini?  Sometimes the auto start/stop feature doesn't work well with some masks.  Either way, I would turn it off if you feel it isn't working properly.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
All full face masks have an anti-asphyxiation valve that allows fresh air to enter the unpressurized mask in the event of a failure in the flow generator. You can test this feature by putting on the mask, plugging the air supply tube and inhaling. If you don't get air, the mask is defective.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
...or needs a good cleaning, perhaps with a toothbrush....not yours, .......someone else's.   Too-funny

Seriously, that can't have been much fun.  We could be talking about a power failure, power cord connection became unstuck briefly (maybe you inadvertently struck it or moved the machine enough that it dislodged), or you covered the mask sufficiently that you couldn't exchange air and it couldn't open the relief valve....not sure.  If the machine starts and runs, it should not have a glitch that causes you to begin to suffocate.  As Sleeprider suggests, the valve is faulty or it needs careful cleaning to free it properly, or vents need to be cleaned with a soft bristle brush.

If you'd like some company with your experience, I use a nasal mask, and as a mouth breather, must tape over my lips. Twice now, in three years, I have awakened unable to breathe through my nose due to congestion in both nares. The first time, I hadn't anticipated this eventuality. I also hadn't prepared one end of the tape for easy and panicked grabbing to tear the tape off my mouth. You can be assured that it was a much easier, and faster, remedy the second time with that small folded end.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using an Airfit F30.  It's supposed to be one of the ones you can use with an Air mini.  I did think that maybe the easiest solution is just to get a nasal mask since I am a nose breather anyway. Thanks for your response!

Thank you to all that replied!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 55 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 675 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Humidification Issue With Air Mini ICS55 15 5,271 02-08-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: pwnorris
Question BMC Mini M1 - Pressure Settings? SwissTruffle 0 324 12-25-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: SwissTruffle
  New to Air Mini-I need advice! tj1616 0 381 10-18-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: tj1616
  Resmed Air Mini and Freedom Battery Compatability Kags1969 1 674 08-02-2023, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Idea Convert Airsense 11 into Air mini or vice versa? mltam 1 608 05-20-2023, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.