Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

can't exhale
Rainbow 
can't exhale
Finally got my CPAP machine home, set it up to use it the first night and I can't seem to exhale. I didn't feel this way in the sleep study. Now I feel completely stuffed up like I can't breathe out through my nose at all. Am I doing something wrong? Could I have done something wrong with the settings? Any help or suggestions are welcome. Last night I ended up not using the machine ans tonight may end the same way ans I have waited months to finally get my machine and start getting some proper sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: can't exhale
It could just be getting adjusted. What are the settings? Do you use ramp which provides minimal pressure for some time before increasing to therapy pressure? Which Airsense 10 machine do you have?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2015, 10:18 PM)kwead Wrote: Now I feel completely stuffed up like I can't breathe out through my nose at all.
Some people find hard to breathe out against the pressure, enabling EPR helps as pressure drop during exhale and feel more comfortable

But you're talking about something different, talk to your doctor, maybe ought to be examined by ENT
Does both sides feel blocked or just one side?

Full face mask might the way to go, allows you to breathe through your mouth whenever your nose get stuffed

When my nose feel stuffy, I put the climate control on auto and do the saline sinus rinse before going to bed

Which model are you using?
[Image: ResMed-AirSense-10.png]
[should say "AutoSet, AutoSet for Her, Elite or CPAP"]

AirSense 10 setup http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsens...setup-info
To get the Clinician Setup Manual for your CPAP Machine CLICK HERE
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Study both, so you can learn about the machine and the settings

Post Reply Post Reply
do try it on for a while before you go to sleep so you can get more used to it. it takes a few days to get used to breathing against the pressure, but it is possible. we don't know what your pressure settings are, wanna share those?

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kwead,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some getting used to, but just stick with it.
Try wearing your mask and using the machine as you watch tv or read during the evening to help you and your body adjust to this new way of sleeping.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy, and getting used to it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
At the sleep study they are adjusting your pressure. You started off low, usually, and they turned it up while you were asleep. Now with whatever prescribed pressure you were given, unless they have enabled ramp, you are going straight to that setting when it starts. After a few months on this I'm still amazed, pleasantly, at how much it opens the air passages in my nose.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Go into the settings and turn on EPR to 3. Turn ramp to On, for a setting of about 20 minutes.

Those two things should help you ease into the therapy with less reaction from your brain and body.
Post Reply Post Reply
I often feel this way when I turn it on for the night. I put it to ramp and it seems easier. When I wake up with the pillows, I have to check that the machine is still working. That is how much I get used to the pressure during the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing that I noticed when I was using a nasal mask. If the mask rode up too much under my nose, it would make it harder to breathe. Pull the mask down a little and see if that helps.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Been using BiPAP machines now for over 8 years. Always had stuffed sinus problems UNTIL I saw this video by 2 sleep doctors in Ohio.
Check your humidifier levels. I somehow thought my noise was stuffy cause too much moisture, The truth was the reverse. I keep my humidifier on the highest level I can without getting my nose pillows on my mask wet. Thats one thing I like about my Aircurve. I can sleep over 8 hours with humidifier on 8(the Max) and still have water in tank. When i have a cold I use Swift FX Nano pillows which is ok not great.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,863 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed vibrates on exhale? webweaver 5 827 12-22-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  RESMED F30i Mask causing pulsing on exhale HULK 1 581 09-21-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 537 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82
  [Symptoms] Difficult to exhale by end of night threerottencats 0 444 08-12-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: threerottencats
Sad [Equipment] AIRFIT P10 problems -- too much pressure / can't exhale genieangel 9 9,063 07-13-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Big Dave
  What AirCurve 10 ASV adjustment makes it easier to exhale against pressure? DevinJones 12 1,226 05-12-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: DevinJones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.