Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

can't find right settings
can't find right settings
I have had the machine for about 2 months and wake up with either a runny or stuffed up nose depending on the humidity setting. I also wake up during the night with a dry mouth. I have not experienced the deep sleep I was expecting. Any similar experiences?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: can't find right settings
Most of what you are describing has been experienced at one time or another by most of us apnea sufferers .. The humidity settings is a just keep trying issue 'til you find the right setting that works best.
The dry mouth issue is usually indicative of mouth breathing. From your listed equipment info, you are using nasal pillows. You may have to either try using a chin strap or a full face mask, if your dry mouth issues continue.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks JudgeMental. My doctor advised that with warming spring temperatures the humidity settings should be lowered to 2 or 3. I was using settings 4 or 5 during colder temps with somewhat better results. The lower settings result in runny nose and sneezing during the day. Doc said higher humidity settings with the warming spring temps could lead to infections. I'm frustrated with the machine and so far do not see significant improvements.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2016, 05:12 PM)Avonjohn13 Wrote: I have had the machine for about 2 months and wake up with either a runny or stuffed up nose depending on the humidity setting. I also wake up during the night with a dry mouth. I have not experienced the deep sleep I was expecting. Any similar experiences?
Hello John,
It always takes some time to come to grips with the therapy & get all your settings & mask right. Your problem with humidity is related to the ambient humidity of your room & that will change from day to day. Thus in some climates it's necessary to set the humidity level each night. If you find droplets of water in your mask, or whistling from the mask exhaust port, then the setting is too high.

Dry mouth is common for users of nasal masks. There are numerous posts on this board about the subject. Remedies range from training yourself to keep your tongue pressed to the roof of your mouth, to changing to a full face mask.

There are pro & cons with each solution. It is difficult to maintain the tongue seal method for the duration.
FFM's tend to pull the lower jaw to the rear moving the tongue with it & causing narrowing of the airway.

The method I favor & is decried by other members is taping the mouth closed using surgical tape.
Your pressure settings, believe it or not, are enough to blow the tape clear off.
Chin straps are suggested too, but most are poorly designed and tend to force the lower jaw backwards causing narrowing of your airway too.

All of us have experienced the same problems at one time or another & its just a matter of trying different solutions until you find one that works for you. Best wishes & good luck.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
The nasal pillows mask is the least obtrusive of all masks and usually delivers good therapy at a lesser pressure than full face masks. However, to use one successfully you must be able to refrain from opening and breathing through your mouth. That is easier said than done for some of us. A suggestion that works for some folks is to place the tip of your tongue against your teeth and create a suction that will hold the tongue to the roof of your mouth. Some can do that while others cannot. I suspect it has something to do with the shape of the roof of ones mouth.

The next best solution is to get a chin strap that will hold the mouth shut when you fall asleep. Some chin straps work better than others. I have had good results by using a 3" wide chin strap from Amazon and deploying it around my neck and across my mouth in such a way that it's like taping my mouth shut but less dangerous. I had to resort to this since a regular chin strap application held my mouth shut but air still came out when I fell asleep. YMMV

Another solution is to use a 'Hybrid" mask that has nasal pillows and also an enclosure that covers and pressurizes the mouth. That method sort of defeats one of the best features of the nasal pillow mask, the ability to render effective therapy at a lower pressure. These are considered full face masks but are much less obtrusive and leaks are easier to manage since the total footprint is less.

Lastly, you may have to go to a full face mask. That's the least desirable solution since the mask is much heavier and has a larger footprint. Leaks are generally harder to manage than with the pillows but it's the only recourse if all else fails with the nasal pillows.

These are all general statements and you will have to experiment to see which applies to you. Some lucky folks come home with their new equipment and it just works without a hitch from the get-go.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, I suggest that your humidity problem may be resolved when you get the mask problem fixed. These seem to go hand in hand due to the large amount of air going through your nose and out your mouth under the circumstance. Fix the mouth leak and you will likely fix all else.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Woozie and Dude: I have trouble with the chin strap as I breathe with my mouth open when sleeping and feel constricted and claustrophobic while wearing it. I guess I have to keep trying and experimenting until I get comfortable with the machine. I have slept without it for a few days at a time and feel better although the snoring keeps my wife awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wearing the mask and chin strap while watching TV or reading may help you get used to it.

Keep after it, it gets better in time and you'll not be bothered with the mask once you learn that it isn't dangerous but is the opposite, it can help you live a longer and happier life.

You may benefit from a saline nasal rinse or even a corticosteroid nasal spray such as Nasacort. Experimenting is important.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Avonjohn13,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it fine tuned to meet your needs.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 205 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 451 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,223 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 332 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Was sick for a while and didn't use my PAP machine for about two weeks. Now I find my JonZ333 1 335 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 461 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 833 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.