Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

can't open patient file on RESMED 5.9
can't open patient file on RESMED 5.9
I've successfully installed and opened RESCAN 5.9 on Win10. 
When I try to create a patient file, or even if I try to proceed without, it says,

"Access denied Unable to save and/access patient data." (see attached)

Without that I can't retrieve any data. 

I have the SD card locked which I've read is advisable when downloading to OSCAR to avoid Win10 adding extra code.

I didn't find a query concerning ResSCAN patient profile issues in previous threads so that's why I'm asking the board.

I went to ResSCAN after my unsuccessful attempt to transfer Airsense 10 SD card data to OSCAR, but I'll make a separate post about that problem.

Thank you for any thoughts.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: can't open patient file on RESMED 5.9
ResScan was trying to access a directory that is protected. Usually, Windows 10 tries to place data directories in the user's AppData area. Only the user's account can access this area. ResScan is probably trying to come in as "ResScan" and thus isn't allowed access.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.

In the hope I could get around the Win10 app data block, I tried to import data from SD card info I transferred to a desktop folder. It did seem to import something, but still won't let me create a patient file or start without one.

In your experience is there a work around? ResScan doesn't let me choose a file location when I open a patient file. I was able to find example files using the Patient manager, but it didn't go anywhere. It said I could open the program as an administrator. Would that let me avoid the user's AppData directory?

I found this general solution to open permissions for appdata. Would this work?
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/enable-special-permissions-access-application-data-folders-79783.html

or this

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-desktop-optimization-pack/appv-v4/how-to-grant-access-to-an-application

Or is there another way to reassign program data to another folder?
Post Reply Post Reply

1. Create a directory on your C:\ drive and name it ResScan_Data.
    Note: The name isn't critical, I'm trying to provide one that will easy to find.

2. Start ResScan and go to Tools ⇾ Patient Manager.  

3. At the top, in the Patient Group Location path, make note of its current location.
    This step is if you ever need to find where the program originally setup the data directory.

4. Now change this path to point to the directory you created above.

5.  Press the Close button on the lower right.

6.  Go to File ⇾ New and create your account.

You should be good to go.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to mention that the 2 procedures listed in the links you provided will work as well.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your time Crimson Nape

I set up the file location as you said and it still blocks me. I can see the patient names I created in the new file location but there is no data there. I had previously seen the ResScan default file location but I was hesitant to change it because it said it affected all patient files. I hope that ResScan on my desktop does not interact with the version at the vendor’s.

I also logged on as an administrator and it didn’t make any difference.
In Device Settings I can get ResScan to recognize my device but I closed that window because it doesn't seem to go anywhere.

I just noticed your addendum. I guess I'll try changing app data permissions. However, it would more than local file permissions that is blocking me or your solution should have worked.

I'm trying to download information before I have to return my loaner unit in early November. I read somewhere that detailed data is only kept for a week on the card. I can't get OSCAR to import successfully from this ResMed SD card, which is why I tried ResScan, and thank you for your help. I'll copy the final information from the SD card to my desktop before returning the unit in the hopes OSCAR or ResScan can read it. Because I'm under a deadline with the trial to extract the data and it is taking an inordinate amount of time for me to figure out how, I'll ask a parallel question about my OSCAR difficulties in another thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dont know if this helps you but here are the default install locations for ResScan that I have:

Patient Data is stored in: C:\Users\Public\Documents\ResMed\ResScan3\Patients\

Some other program settings files are in: C:\Users\<your-username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\ResMed\ResScan3

Probably best to try setting up something either in C:\Users\Public
Or in C:\Users\<your username>\Documents\
Then make the change as Crimson Nape described in "Tools > PatientManager" earlier.  Both Windows and Mac tend to do strange things when some apps are not installed in the correct place.  It should be installed in <user space>, meaning the areas you username has access too without needing administrator permissions to add change something.

You can also copy the data from the SD card and store it on your hard drive until you get the permissions thing figured out.  Just insert the SD card into your computers reader.  Make a folder Under c:\Users\<yourusername>\Downloads\ResMed\ and use Explorer to copy the SD card there.

See if that helps.....
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
What model is your loaner machine and what issues does OSCAR have as OSCAR is much easier to use and troubleshoot than rescan
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, thanks very much for these responses.

It's a Resmed Airsense 10 for her.

I created the alternative path that Jeff8356 suggested for C:\Users\<your username>\Documents\ and told it to use that location and it still won't let me open or search on a patient file or go without opening a file.

I'm making a separate folder for each day of SD card info in case some of it gets overwritten daily.

jaswilliams, thanks for asking about OSCAR: when I choose one of three patient profiles and choose "import CPAP card data", it sees the SD card on the reader and looks like it's imported the data (green barometer), but then it can't retrieve anything. When I hit "specify" instead of "Yes" to import, I choose one of the data logs on the SD card and nothing shows up when I select "view statistics" "View daily" or "view overview." Under "specify" and I choose one of the files I've copied SD card information to, I select a Datalog for a particular date as I had done with the SD card reader and nothing.

It's the same when I picked different patient profiles.

Is it possible the machine did not write data on the card? (Folders seem to have something stored based on the various sizes) There would be at least some until I took the card out and I locked the card when I put it in the reader and I unlock it when I put it back in the machine. The vendor is receiving daily reports by wifi, but I assume the machine is also writing to the card.

I looked in the ResScan manual "troubleshooting" section. It discussed drivers, which apneaboard recommends we avoid.
Post Reply Post Reply
OSCAR needs to read the Identification.tgt and STR.edf files, as well as the files within the DATALOG directory. As such, you should select the letter name (E:, for example) for Windows, or the volume name (for Mac and Linux) of the SD card.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where Oscar put the data file? Rosacer24 0 60 03-22-2024, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Rosacer24
  python file converter for EMAY sleep pulse oximeter joeblough 1 613 03-04-2024, 10:26 PM
Last Post: ElectricalPaul
  SpO2 Assistant Data File Conversion WSHenry 3 3,085 01-11-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: BiggerDog
  AirSense 11 Data download csv file vs. card tkblizard 3 495 12-29-2023, 04:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Exporting Oscar File kevinmallard 2 478 12-19-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: kevinmallard
  Oscar file management on two computers nightgagger 2 531 12-18-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: nightgagger
  sample ChoiceMMed MD300W1 dat file joeblough 1 387 12-02-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: joeblough

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.