Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cant sleep - upset (oral appliance)
Sad 
cant sleep - upset (oral appliance)
Last year I had an oral appliance (silent nite) made to help treat my sleep apnea.. And after only 3-4 months it CRACKED. In more than one place.

When I called my dentist they tried to pin the blame on me and said it was likely cause I was grinding my teeth.

Have any of you ever had your device crack???

I am wondering if it's because they used cheap material (I have Medicaid) or the fact that it was way too tight ... (I told the dentist and he didn't want to fix it. Saying it'll "give" over time)

I am really devastated by this. I had high hopes for that thing. I am recently married and my husband has never even seen my old cpap machine. I will be really upset if I'm forced to use that because of some incompetent dentist and assistants who referred to me as "la gorda" not realizing I speak Spanish fluently....

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: cant sleep - upset (oral appliance)
Hi Lindsayg123,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for suggestions and answers to your questions.
Much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Lindsayg123,
I'm not sure there are many here who use an oral appliance to treat sleep apnea, but if there are,
Im sure they will chime in. But, with that said, I think you need to find a new dentist. There should be no reason they wouldn't stand behind it.

Just being nosy, but did Cpap therapy not work for you? How long did you use Cpap?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2016, 08:01 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Lindsayg123,
I'm not sure there are many here who use an oral appliance to treat sleep apnea, but if there are,
Im sure they will chime in. But, with that said, I think you need to find a new dentist. There should be no reason they wouldn't stand behind it.

Just being nosy, but did Cpap therapy not work for you? How long did you use Cpap?

I used my cpap off and on from 2008-2013..
I was traveling a lot so I didn't bring it with me Then stopped using it all together. To be honest it worked well. it was just not something I wanted to lug around to NYC, South America, etc.. Then once I finally relocated I was afraid to use it in front of my significant other. And now he gets weirded out when I say I may use it again. So the dental device seemed like the perfect option for me and I'm really upset that this new sleep Doctor insists I have to go to this one particular dentist.

Thanks for the replies..
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2016, 12:55 PM)Lindsayg123 Wrote:
(01-07-2016, 08:01 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Lindsayg123,

I used my cpap off and on from 2008-2013..
I was traveling a lot so I didn't bring it with me Then stopped using it all together. To be honest it worked well. it was just not something I wanted to lug around to NYC, South America, etc.. Then once I finally relocated I was afraid to use it in front of my significant other. And now he gets weirded out when I say I may use it again. So the dental device seemed like the perfect option for me and I'm really upset that this new sleep Doctor insists I have to go to this one particular dentist.

Thanks for the replies..

You mentioned that CPAP worked well, but that you didn't want to travel with it or use it in the presence of your significant other. It provides a better quality of life. It will likely extend your life. How is that "weird"?

I will occasionally go one night without my machine, and only use a double mouth guard (one that is molded to my upper and lower teeth).

Your sleep doc may have recommended dentists, but you make the choice of service providers.

Just my six cents.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wait.. your significant other seems "weirded out" by your taking active steps to make yourself healthier, happier, and live longer? My frank advice would be to tell him to get over it. Show him some of the plethora of data available about the long-term outcomes for people with untreated sleep apnea.

As for your dentist, I recommend reporting his office's behavior to the Better Business Bureau, if not the Dental Board. It is completely unacceptable for them to refer to you in a demeaning manner, particularly within your presence and to your knowledge.

Post Reply Post Reply
There are potential unintended side effects to using dental appliances such as TMJ/TMD. With improved cpap technology of today - extremely quiet, nasal pillows instead of a mask (if you can tolerate it), tracking software to mange your own therapy available through this forum, it's hard to imagine a supprotive partner being against you improving your health and life. After much research into the dental appliance route I decided to go straight cpap and have never looked back. This was after my partner insisted I get tested for OSA. If it were me I'd get an updated machine, download the software here and get back on the cpap horse asap.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2016, 12:55 PM)Lindsayg123 Wrote: And now he gets weirded out when I say I may use it again.

What does that mean? Why should he care if you are using a CPAP machine?

As far as the dental appliance goes, yes it is possible that you broke it grinding your teeth. Doesn't matter, though, how it broke. What matters is that they make good on repairing or replacing it. If they refuse, I would report that to your insurance company. I would also write a letter of complaint about the derogatory remark. Send it to the dentist, and copy the company he works for as well as the regulatory agency, insurance company, and anyone else you can think of.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I start nodding off, my wife asks me if I'm going to put my nose on. And, there have been several occasions in the middle of the night where I have taken it off, but this is a family board, so I'm not going any further. Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 125 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question CPAP "Mouth Only" Appliance? GrantT 4 471 11-16-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Treatment] LF Oral Surgeon recommendation in DMV area for MMA SleepWhenImDead 1 1,084 11-16-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: isabelle315
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  CPAP + Oral Appliance = Leaks DoktorSpengler 0 322 08-16-2023, 01:52 PM
Last Post: DoktorSpengler

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.