Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

central sleep apnea increase
central sleep apnea increase
Good day
I am new to all this but am coming across a
a weird issue. The first week i had . 5 obstructive sleep apneas than the CENTRAL sleep apneas started appearing and last night they reached  a high. I slept fine for a couple hrs than awoke from pain ( chronic back) I was awake for approx 1.5 hrs but kept mask on than fell back asleep. I again awoke and kept on mask before finally removing.
While reviewing downloaded specs this morning and if my tired memory is right most ( cluster of 25+) happened while I was awake but still wearing mask.

I have been tested and do not have afib  

Was also tested MRI for TIA's or stroke and was told all fine no indications of having had either.

I do have low CO2 levels in blood but just 

What is going on
Any advice greatly appreciated !
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: central sleep apnea increase
We do not count events that are recorded while awake. Chances are you were uncomfortable, shifting position and just doing some breath-holding. This is not central apnea. Recording AHI while awake is meaningless, but it's good that your event rate remains low when you sleep.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have seen central apnea events flagged while not sleeping as well. One partial work around "solution" is to use the Auto Ramp feature on your A10. It will not prevent the "events" from happening when you are not asleep, but it will not report them as events either, and that will give you a better AHI number. Just set a Ramp Start pressure of 6 cm, and it should go directly from the ramp to your treatment pressure of 6 cm once the machine detects that you are asleep. It will time out after 30 minutes though if you don't go to sleep in the amount of time, and then will start reporting events.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all your responses

I will take screen shot of phone time when I awake to confirm times. Tell myself to remember but never do.

I have reviewed all my days (21) thanks to your sites software download,( many thanks)

After first week  where I only had obstructive apneas I am now getting 1 or 2 obstructive while I sleep and 5 to 7 central when actually sleeping. Overall events way down so happy

What is common practice take mask off if  one wakes up during night if or keep on . I wake up often do to pain most times I just stay in bed as I udualky fall back to sleep within the hour

So nice to have support and s place to ask questions
Post Reply Post Reply
Stay comfortable as possible. If you want to mark the time of being awake, you can cause an intentional leak to mark that you are awake, or to briefly turn-off the machine. I would continue to use it. Your AHI score is not as important as having therapy once you fall back to sleep. For what it is worth, you can simply deduct all events while you're awake. My sense is that you are well treated by CPAP, but need to address pain and comfort issues. A new mattress may even be in order. The objective of our therapy is to prevent respiratory event arousals to get good sleep. When pain and other medical or comfort issues interfere with that objective, it is like starting over, but it does not mean we need to change the PAP therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure if this is applicable to you, but my back pain issues more or less require me to be a side sleeper now. I've got a few long pillows behind me while sleeping to help prevent lying flat on my back.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You got it. 3 unsuccessful surgeries and only gd position is my left side . I also use body pillows to prevent turning.
Thus I wake up frequently now supposedly I also wake up from
Central sleep apnea episodes lol
Any learned tricks?
How to run hose to pillow nostril mask to have a gd seal and have it stay put
Hope u improve
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2018, 06:08 PM)Chieffy123 Wrote: You got it. 3 unsuccessful surgeries and only gd position is my left side . I also use body pillows to prevent turning.
Thus I wake  up frequently now supposedly I also wake  up from
Central sleep apnea episodes lol
Any learned tricks?
How to run hose to pillow nostril mask to have a gd seal and have it stay put
Hope u improve

For myself, back surgery is ruled out, attempted and fail on Spinal Cord Stimulator implant, meds and TENS only help currently. I typically sleep right side down. I route the heated hose under left arm to head over to the ASV. I make sure the pillows stacked behind me would at least keep me tilted at a 45 degree or greater angle. And I make certain I use 2 pillows to create the depth necessary to fill space from shoulder to head. With my ASV machine, I basically get zero apnea on the treated side. Untreated, it could be around 124 per 6 hours for centrals.

Future adjustments: new sleep pillow(s) of buckwheat made by ComfyComfy and maybe a My Pillow, hose hanger, hose cover...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Morning
I agree with tens. Problem I have I use it so much  I've  burned my skin. 

Like the hose routing  idea will try tonight.Looked  at cpap use designed pillows but cost to high for now

May ask for diff mask. The small pillow mask hose comes out bottom so hard to do anything with hose. Tried hanging over headboard but than mask pulls off do to hose angle

During my study I did not have any central sleep apneas but now they have appeared. Last night had 5/ hr ,zero obstructive.

I only sleep 3-4 hrs so getting a better sleep if even for a short time has given me more energy

The dilemma I have is all the hassle worth it. I am able to do little during day anyways. Little more energy is nice but most if it is used maintaining cpap lol.
Im hoping it helps reduce my odds of stroke etc.

Will keep trying sure like everything else it'll get easier with time

Really hope your back mellows, its the hardest thing Ive ever had to deal with.
Not fun
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2018, 12:33 PM)Chieffy123 Wrote: During my study I did not have any central sleep apneas but now they have appeared. Last night had 5/ hr ,zero obstructive.

Studies have found that central apnea emerges when CPAP is initiated in about 6% of cases. Of those 6% most get better, with only 1.5% still having issues with centrals after 8 week or so of treatment. So my suggestion is to stick with it, and hope that central start to reduce with time. There is a bit of a summary of the issue at the link below.

Prevalence of Centrals in CPAP Patients
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 588 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 4 80 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 240 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,519 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 352 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,400 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.