Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

centrals after starting cpap
centrals after starting cpap
So, I started cpap a week ago. My AHI was 6 before I started and has been in the 3 range since, which is theoretically OK, but of course I want it lower. My question here, though, is about the ratio of central events to obstructive ones. In the week since I started I have had 95 centrals and 32 obstructive. I know that there is a probability of increased centrals at the beginning of therapy, but does that seem like a normal amount?

Thanks for the assistance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: centrals after starting cpap
Hi Leemax,
If you have #SleepyHead set up, take a couple screenshots and post here.  It would make more sense if we could see your data.

See the tutorials at the bottom of my post.  Thanks.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like your treatment is going okay, and I wouldn't worry too much about CA at that level. Probably some room for improvement. Your pressure is in a wide range from 5-15. Are you using EPR? What is your average and 90% pressure. Is there a pressure that seems to correlate with more events? Those are the kinds of questions we can look at and use to solve the problem if you post some sleepyhead screenshots.

My signature describes how to organize and post the charts as a linked image.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is next to impossible to speculate without more detailed data. However, you cannot simply use a cumulative total of events as a guideline because each night is simply a snapshot of your performance at that point in time. One bad night (with many centrals) may leave a poor overall impression that is misleading in terms of the effectiveness of your therapy -- especially when just starting out and getting used to the mask.  

Sleeprider is correct: more data, especially pressure and flow data, is needed for a more informed analysis.

Just a thought. I appear to hold my breath when I turn over which shows as a central. I have also encountered spurious events at the beginning and end of a session -- known as sleep-wake junk.

Best of luck on finding the magic combination of mask, pressures, and positions to generate more restful tomorrows.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 391 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,817 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 123 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 236 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 675 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  are these centrals or false alarms? AZAwake 4 409 02-02-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: SingingWolf
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 326 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.