Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cerebral apnea
RE: cerebral apnea
Are you in Washington or North Carolina right now? If you are in Washington and you're using a machine you got in North Carolina, the new day is starting at 9:00 AM, and each night's sleep is getting split in half.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2013, 07:25 PM)kittyhawkchild Wrote: The software also shows that I have been using the mask for 2:44 hours when I actually used it from 2 AM to 12 noon!

Hi kittyhawkchild,

Your profile says you are not using software, so perhaps you mean that the machine's display reports too few hours?

If the machine is turned off during the night for a potty break maybe it is only reporting the length of the last session rather than use during the whole night.

I would think ResMed or SleepyHead software would properly show the correct full time spent using the machine each night. I recommend installing software on your computer and taking a look.

I suggest using ResScan because that is what LinCare would be using if they want to verify hours of use.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave,

If the time was split, wouldn't it be recorded with the next night's sleep or does the machine completely cut off for that day? Right now I am in WA and I sleep from 1:00 AM to 11:00 AM. Some nights the machine records the time correctly and sometimes it shorts me by 8 hours and does not add it to the next day.

When I slept from 2:00 AM TO 12:00 today it recorded 2:44 hours not the correct 7:00, if the cut off time was 9:00 this morning

Vaughn,

I just got the software today, and I was reading off the software from my auto set cpap machine. I always restart after potty break, but last night there wasn't one and it still recorded 2.44 hours but all these ideas really help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2013, 08:37 PM)kittyhawkchild Wrote: When I slept from 2:00 AM TO 12:00 today it recorded 2:44 hours not the correct 7:00

Vaughn,

I just got the software today, and I was reading off the software from my auto set cpap machine. I always restart after potty break, but last night there wasn't one and it still recorded 2.44 hours but all these ideas really help.

Is the problem that no data at all is being recorded for the missing hours, or merely that the one statistic of total hours per day is intermittently incorrect?

If no data at all is being recorded during missing hours (and if the problem is not merely that the data has been moved to an adjacent day or something like that) then you may need a loaner machine so your machine can be returned for repair.

You may want to call your provider to see if there is any way to do this even before you return from vacation.

ResMed will not accept a machine for warrantee repair (will not issue a Return Material Authorization) unless a DME provider first troubleshoots the unit while on the phone with ResMed technical support.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2013, 08:37 PM)kittyhawkchild Wrote: Dave,

If the time was split, wouldn't it be recorded with the next night's sleep or does the machine completely cut off for that day? Right now I am in WA and I sleep from 1:00 AM to 11:00 AM. Some nights the machine records the time correctly and sometimes it shorts me by 8 hours and does not add it to the next day.

When I slept from 2:00 AM TO 12:00 today it recorded 2:44 hours not the correct 7:00, if the cut off time was 9:00 this morning

No, it would show the time asleep after the cut-off time (the clock might be off a little so it cuts off at 9:15). Then, the other 7 hours would be added to the previous day.

If I'm wrong about that, what Vaughn said.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have noticed that the S9 Autoset will count time differently on the front panel as opposed to the data that
gets dumped into SleepyHead.
The front display appears to reset its total hours after midnite but SleepyHead gets it all sorted out.
If you get up at 2am for a bathroom break (turn off and restart) your hours get credited to the next day.
This is alright as long as you know that it is going on. Wink

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Shatzi,

I got the software that's called ResScan, I think that's what you're saying when you say SleepyHead. Is it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Vaughn,

As far as I can tell, the machine is not recording part of the time. Some of the days are recorded correctly. I have tried to find it, but what is DME? I have talked to LinCare ( people that gave me my machine, who are here and in NC), and they gave me a loaner and told me the problem with the recording was the machine or possibly me.

Thank you so very much for your help.
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2013, 01:11 AM)kittyhawkchild Wrote: As far as I can tell, the machine is not recording part of the time. Some of the days are recorded correctly. I have tried to find it, but what is DME? I have talked to LinCare ( people that gave me my machine, who are here and in NC), and they gave me a loaner and told me the problem with the recording was the machine or possibly me.

Hi Kate,

LinCare is your Durable Medical Equipment provider, "DME provider" or just plain DME for short.

I am not sure if I am following you correctly. Did LinCare give you a loaner today to replace your malfunctioning machine, or has the machine you have been using always been a loaner (or perhaps a rental)?

There are two software programs you can install on your computer to read/display sleep data from your machine's SD card.

ResScan is a product sold by the manufacturer of your machine and only supports ResMed machines. It is actually intended for use only by doctors and licensed technicians (Respiratory Therapists) and DME providers, not by us lowly and untrained users who may unwittingly harm ourselves if we change the machine's settings. Usually users cannot buy a copy of ResScan, but my doctor sold me a copy of ResScan version 3.11 in 2010 for use with my ResMed S8 AutoSet II. I think I paid about $80 for ResScan including a special USB card reader to read the weird proprietary "Smart Card" which works with the S8 series of machines. We are very lucky now to be able to obtain a copy of the current ResScan software through Apnea Board. Having access to ResScan has actually been the main reason I have continued to purchase only ResMed products to date for myself and for family members, including the S8 AutoSet II, two S9 AutoSets, an S9 VPAP Auto, and an S9 VPAP Adapt ASV machine.

I have recently learned (in the past year or so since I joined Apnea Board) that SleepyHead is the other program which can be used to read the SD card from ResMed, Philips Respironics, Fisher & Paykel and perhaps a few other manufacturers. Many find SleepyHead easier to use. It is an Open Source "shareware" program, meaning that donations are very much appreciated and needed to help defray various expenses. Private individuals have volunteered their time and have written the program and are gradually improving it and adding more features and support for more machines. May God bless them and reward them!

Take care,
--- Vaughn
Post Reply Post Reply
Vaughn,

I was given a ResMed S9 auto set Bilevel cpap machine by my DME in May of this year. Before I left on this trip at the end of June, my doctor said that the therapy wasn't working and I was having too many cerebral apneas and hypopneas. He said he didn't know what else to do but change it to constant cpap without the auto function. Now I KNOW that's wrong.

I knew this was wrong and when the constant blowing made me crazy, I found this site and found out the constant cpap had basically the same AHIs as the auto set did. No improvement and was worse sometimes. So I changed it back to the auto Bilevel cpap.

When I had seen the doctor in June, I tried to tell him that it was not recording all of the hours that I had spent on the machine but he wasn't interested.

Then by the end of July, I had been using the machine faithfully and I could still hardly move because I was so exhausted all of the time. I couldn't get my DME on the phone. Since it is nation wide, I called one that is close to me in WA. She was shocked at my numbers and gave me a RESPERONICS Remstar bilevel system one auto system one as a loaner. That way we could tell if my machine was working correctly.

Tomorrow, I will download the SleepyHead software. And I am extremely appreciative to whoever put the software online. Thanks also to the people that developed SleepyHead.

My daughter also uses a cpap machine and she isn't at all interested in reading past the start button. I guess the reason for the difference is that I've always had bad luck with doctors and even though my other daughter is doctor. I do not trust their judgement as being perfect.

I have found more answers from you and all the others, then anyone in the medical field.

By the way, love the name "Vaughn",
Thanks once more,
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 746 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,027 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,449 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,627 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,878 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,933 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,575 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.