Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

change from pillow to nasal mask?
change from pillow to nasal mask?
i'm new and have had no professional help. i've used the S9 elite for over a month. after trial and error, i settled on a pressure of 7.0 and an EPR of 3. my average AHI is 2.6. last night i tried a nasal mask. i awoke after two hours with a mild headache so checked the AHI, and it was 44.2. (i had changed the setting from pillow to nasal) so i just stopped for the night.

there was no evidence of leakage.

now should i try this again in case it was just a fluke? or do i have to change the pressure? is this dangerous?

using resmed s9 elite
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: change from pillow to nasal mask?
Well, it could be just coincidence. There's not difference in therapy between a nasal pillow and nasal mask. They are just the interface between you and the air pressure from the machine. It really is personal fit and need rather than one works better than another in terms of therapy.

It could have been a bad night. A fault in the machine. Or a leak the machine did not pick up on.

If you are doing this on your own, my suggestion would be to trade that Elite for an Autoset. Supplier #2 may be able to trade it if you bought yours new and/or the hours are low. Autosets are perfect for what you are trying to do. Do not get an Escape Auto.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
In my case its congestion and stuffed nose as cannot get enough air to pass through the nose and have to mouth breathe using a nasal mask. Lately my nose working more efficiently, AHI below 1 and sleep quality getting better
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2012, 02:38 PM)zonk Wrote: In my case its congestion and stuffed nose as cannot get enough air to pass through the nose and have to mouth breathe using a nasal mask. Lately my nose working more efficiently, AHI below 1 and sleep quality getting better

You should not mouth breath with a nasal mask any more than you should with nasal pillows. If you do, you won't get the pressure you need to overcome your OSA. If your nasal congestion reoccurs and persists, you probably should use a full face mask. If you are encountering nasal congestion, only when using the XPAP, be sure that the air is humidified. Humidification can lessen your nasal congestion significantly, but it may take a few days to see the improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi normwolfe, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum.!
Next, what zonk and PaulaO2 said! Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
BabyDoc - In my case it was blocked nose using nasal mask that causes jump in AHI. The OP case is entirely different. Its advisable to seek doctor advice and having a sleep study before adjusting the pressure but if doing it alone than its best done in small increment over a period of time and monitor the data using the software .
How to find the optimum pressure on your constant-pressure CPAP machine
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...re-on-cpap
Post Reply Post Reply
I switched several months ago from nasal pillows to nasal mask. My AH1 is usually far less then 1,0. I noticed when I switched masks that my AHI increased for a week or so, then dropped again. I am doing much better with a nasal mask...often sleeping right through the night. Best of luck to you!
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder why?

I guess maybe the throat gets used to how the pressure arrives. I know it is all the same pressure but air straight into my nostrils like two garden hoses at full blast would be different that the same amount of water (air) coming from a wider garden hose. So, just like when we start CPAP use, our bodies get used to one set of parameters.

But, still, it's the same air pressure.....Thinking-about
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2012, 04:41 PM)BabyDoc Wrote:
(08-30-2012, 02:38 PM)zonk Wrote: In my case its congestion and stuffed nose as cannot get enough air to pass through the nose and have to mouth breathe using a nasal mask. Lately my nose working more efficiently, AHI below 1 and sleep quality getting better

You should not mouth breath with a nasal mask any more than you should with nasal pillows. If you do, you won't get the pressure you need to overcome your OSA. If your nasal congestion reoccurs and persists, you probably should use a full face mask. If you are encountering nasal congestion, only when using the XPAP, be sure that the air is humidified. Humidification can lessen your nasal congestion significantly, but it may take a few days to see the improvement.
I,m not sure to what you,re responding ..To the OP question or to the quote

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2012, 06:57 AM)zonk Wrote:
(08-30-2012, 04:41 PM)BabyDoc Wrote:

I,m not sure to what you,re responding ..To the OP question or to the quote

I believe I was responding to you, not the OP. Forgive, me if I misuderstood what you were saying. It sounded like you switched from nasal pillows to a nasal mask because you couldn't breath through your nose. I just didn't see how that would help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 44 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,455 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 159 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,717 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 102 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,082 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.